Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DTV Bureaucracy Failure

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   downeast

downeast

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:07 PM

I have three HD receivers, one of which is a DVR. All are model H24. We have the Whole Home service which works just fine. Upon occasions we have need for a receiver in yet another room so we have been moving one of the receivers into this room upon occasions. Moving equipment gets old after a while so we decided to order another receiver. We assumed (wrongly) that we would receive similar equipment. What arrived was a model H21 receiver which would not fit the space available but more importantly, the model H21 does not have an ethernet interface so this new receiver could NOT access Whole-Home features of our DVR. One would think that it was somebody's job at DirecTV to take a look at the customers configuration and send equipment compatible with the customer's subscription options. I called DTV and explained the problem and the customer rep agreed with my problem diagnosis. He said they will send a model H24 replacement (which has a built-in ethernet). Today, another box arrives from DTV and inside is another model H21 and not even some external ethernet. I called DTV again and after being switched around several times and getting lots of agreement that the H21 will NOT work without ethernet for whole-home they finally came back and said that the equipment people can not guarantee a particular model on any order. I understand the company wanting to use recycled older model equipment where possible but I do not understand why they insist on shipping equipment that will not work with features for which you are paying. On top of that they have NO procedure to correct the problem. That's a bit amazing actually. The H21 is fine in many other configurations. If there is an external ethernet interface for the H21 then it might be made to work but we have no space for more boxes. We will revert back to moving receivers around though we are not very happy about it. Without any harsh words I asked the last rep to just send me another set of labels for returning the second H21. Bummer!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

If you had the space (must be really cramped there) for the H21, all you need to get it going is a DECA adapter.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,340 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:20 PM

If you had the space (must be really cramped there) for the H21, all you need to get it going is a DECA adapter.

I'm thinking he means H20, since he said it does not have an Ethernet jack. So DECA won't work.

To the OP, there is no option for external ethernet through USB etc. The best option to know what you're getting is through SolidSignal or Weaknees. If they say you're getting an H24, that's what you get.

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:28 PM

check the model again .. If it doesn't have an Ethernet port at all it must be an H20 .. That's not going to work at all for you. You'd need to tell DIRECTV that you have Whole Home DVR Service and need the right equipment.

A bit surprising that you have zero space in all 3 locations where the H21 could fit, though. They're not that much bigger than the H24. But if it's an H20, then yeah, I seem to recall those being quite a bit bigger.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:09 PM

I get the feeling all that is needed here is a DECA. The OP seems to mix DECA & ethernet in his post.
A.K.A VOS

#6 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,340 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

I get the feeling all that is needed here is a DECA. The OP seems to mix DECA & ethernet in his post.

Rereading it, and the H24 with builtin ethernet part, you're probably right.

#7 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:27 PM

and a smaller box ...

Maybe extend the video from one room to the other so that it doesn't have to be moved every time.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   woollybully

woollybully

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

Just order a H24 from Solid Signal. It's the same price and you get exactly what you want.
3x HR24-500, HR20-100, HR20-700, HR21-100, H21-100, SWM16, DECA, Slimline SL5, Portable Slimline SL5-SWM

#9 OFFLINE   downeast

downeast

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

Thanks to all!

A DECA would have solved the connection problem, yes. But not the space requirement. But, returning the H21s and getting an H24 from a retailer will solve all problems.

PS: The idea of needing a DECA NEVER was mentioned by anybody at DTV. I have a DECCA to connect a router port to the SWM but dumb me never quite put that solution to the new receiver. I was focused on getting ethernet access via the coax connecter on the receiver. After all, all three present boxes work that way... Thanks guys!

#10 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

I have three HD receivers, one of which is a DVR. All are model H24.

Impossible.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

spam firewall