Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DVR HDMI use concurrently with composite video and analog audio outputs

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MGotcha

MGotcha

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:22 PM

If I have a HDTV conected to a DirectTV HD-DVR via HDMI, will the DVR's composite video, analog audio and digital audio still all work at the same time (even when HDMI is at 1080)? I feed other TVs in the house via a multichannel modulator and my main home theater receiver only has optical inputs for audio (no HDMI).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

Yep on all - do the same thing here, as well as use BOTH component & HDMI at once...

#3 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:26 PM

All outputs are active when the receiver is on.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:13 PM

... however, certain programming (mostly PPVs) has higher levels of security, and will lock you out when using both connections. And 1080p programming only works over HDMI.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#5 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 706 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:35 PM

Only problem I've run into when using HDMI along with the analog audio output is a slight delay in the audio so it's not in sync with the video. This happens in my garage where I have an HR21 going to a 37" LCD via HDMI but I also have an older 5.1 reciever hooked to some speakers and a sub but it doesn't have an optical or coax audio input so when the TV volume is turned up there's kind of an echo or almost a reverb sound, or if the TV volume is at 0 the video and audio don't sync up....no biggie as its mostly used for watching sports when I'm messing around in the garage :D But yes, all outputs are active :D

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#6 OFFLINE   vdoefx

vdoefx

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:35 AM

... however, certain programming (mostly PPVs) has higher levels of security, and will lock you out when using both connections. And 1080p programming only works over HDMI.

Interesting... we've had DTV for 2 years with the FULL PACKAGE, but just this week noticed that when both the living room TV (Sony 52" LCD fed with HDMI) is on, and the bedroom TV (Sony 38" Tube fed with component cables) is on, Channel 509 plays fine.

HR22 here feeding both units...

But, on channel 509 only, if we turn off the living room TV (HDMI), we get this error on the bedroom (component) TV:

"Your TV does not support this content protection. Replacing your TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program"...

Not that this is a big deal, but this only happens on Channel 509???

Any ideas?

--Tom

#7 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:07 AM

Interesting... we've had DTV for 2 years with the FULL PACKAGE, but just this week noticed that when both the living room TV (Sony 52" LCD fed with HDMI) is on, and the bedroom TV (Sony 38" Tube fed with component cables) is on, Channel 509 plays fine.

HR22 here feeding both units...

But, on channel 509 only, if we turn off the living room TV (HDMI), we get this error on the bedroom (component) TV:

"Your TV does not support this content protection. Replacing your TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program"...

Not that this is a big deal, but this only happens on Channel 509???

Any ideas?

--Tom

This happens quite often, on PPV and other premium channels. It's actually a TV problem. The DVR sees the HDMI connection but it fails the HDCP content protection test when the TV is "off" (actually on standby). You would find that if you disconnected the HDMI cable, the error would go away.

#8 OFFLINE   vdoefx

vdoefx

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:51 AM

This happens quite often, on PPV and other premium channels. It's actually a TV problem. The DVR sees the HDMI connection but it fails the HDCP content protection test when the TV is "off" (actually on standby). You would find that if you disconnected the HDMI cable, the error would go away.

Dang! Is there ANYTHING else I can do short of disconnecting the cable? Would DTV be able to help? Or, would an upgrade from our HR22 to an HR24 help either?

--Tom

#9 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:12 AM

Dang! Is there ANYTHING else I can do short of disconnecting the cable? Would DTV be able to help? Or, would an upgrade from our HR22 to an HR24 help either?

--Tom

No and no.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#10 OFFLINE   tritch

tritch

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:33 PM

--Tom

Texasbrit is correct. A solution would be to buy a HDMI splitter and replace your component cable run with a HDMI cable instead. I'm assuming your other TV supports HDMI.

Edit: In retrospect, if you just connect a powered HDMI splitter and feed your living room TV with one of its outputs, you should be okay. The DVR will "see" an actively powered HDMI port all the time even though the TV is physically off. The component cable run can stay as is.

Edited by tritch, 22 January 2011 - 06:47 PM.

Directv customer since 1995
HR24-500 w/ AM21

#11 OFFLINE   MGotcha

MGotcha

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:01 PM

I make just get a dual tuner HD-DVR and use the second tuner just for my distributed TVs via composite, and keep the primary tuner connected just to our main TV via HDMI

#12 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 614 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:47 PM

I make just get a dual tuner HD-DVR and use the second tuner just for my distributed TVs via composite, and keep the primary tuner connected just to our main TV via HDMI

That's not how it works. What the second tuner allows you to do is RECORD two separate programs simultaneously. You can only VIEW one program at a time, either live from one of the tuners or previously-recorded, with the same program going out over all the outputs.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#13 OFFLINE   MGotcha

MGotcha

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:47 PM

That's not how it works. What the second tuner allows you to do is RECORD two separate programs simultaneously. You can only VIEW one program at a time, either live from one of the tuners or previously-recorded, with the same program going out over all the outputs.

The cost for two HD-DVR recievers and whole house DVR service is pretty reasonable, so I am leaning towards this sort of solution. Are there any technical resoures for whole house DVR setup & cfg to assist in the install of a whole house DVR setup (The DTV site does not have much on this).

#14 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

The cost for two HD-DVR recievers and whole house DVR service is pretty reasonable, so I am leaning towards this sort of solution. Are there any technical resoures for whole house DVR setup & cfg to assist in the install of a whole house DVR setup (The DTV site does not have much on this).

Check out the Connected Home Forum

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#15 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:46 PM

You'll love it as I got the WHDVR Service with DECA/SWM and it is absolutely fantastic to watch anything on any other TV in any room so you will enjoy.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#16 OFFLINE   MGotcha

MGotcha

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:34 AM

Check out the Connected Home Forum

Thanks! That's the place I was looking for. I ordered up a two HD-DVR whole house setup that will be replacing my very old DISH PVR501. Now I just need to keep the installer off my roof (it's a flat foam roof.. no holes please!!)
I did read a few complaints about the HD-DVR RF remotes not having very good range. I'm hoping for 30 - 40'.

spam firewall