Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advantages of using a receiver in whole home setup?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LesHarrison

LesHarrison

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:57 AM

I have two HR-21-700's in the basement. I send HDMI via cat6 to two TV's upstairs and I use remote ir to control the recorders from either TV. I am running whole home via ethernet and everthing is working fine.

The problems are:

1- Can't watch the local news when recording 4 shows at the same time unless we cancel one of the recordings.

2- When these recorders are busy recording two channels or getting ready to at the top of the hour, etc. things slow up considerably. Viewing is not affected during these periods but the remote interaction, getting the guide to show and such are slow to respond, but eventually work ok.

So my question is should I add a receiver to this setup and use that as the viewing source so the recorders can do whatever they need to do?

If I add a receiver, does the guide performance and other remote operatons improve over using just two recorders?

Can you tell a show to record on one receiver or the other from the receiver (select which recorder is to do the recording)?

Your guidance is appreciated.

Les

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,913 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:30 AM

If you want to continue recording four things and watch the news you would need an additional receiver. It could be a stand alone H2x.

However, you would need a SWiM setup to get beyond four tuners and would probably be DECA.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:37 AM

If you want to continue recording four things and watch the news you would need an additional receiver. It could be a stand alone H2x.

However, you would need a SWiM setup to get beyond four tuners and would probably be DECA.

Mike

:confused: when not using SWiM, a WB68 will give the option for 8 tuners.
The H20 can't be used for the added receiver, but H21-24 can and will need to have ethernet with the OP's current setup.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,132 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:39 AM

Les, if you add a HD receiver like Mike mentioned you would be able to hit the record button on the remote and a screen will pop up asking which DVR you want to record to. This is one of the advantages of a Non-DVR. (assuming you have WHDVR)

I have a H24 and it is very fast scrolling through the guide and the list. I think you would bre pleased with a setup with two dvr's and a standalone HD receiver.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:43 AM

I have a H24 and it is very fast scrolling through the guide and the list. I think you would bre pleased with a setup with two dvr's and a standalone HD receiver.

I'd say all receivers scroll faster than DVRs do.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,913 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:44 AM

:confused: when not using SWiM, a WB68 will give the option for 8 tuners.
The H20 can't be used for the added receiver, but H21-24 can and will need to have ethernet with the OP's current setup.

I meant to add a line about the WB68 but got side tracked and just hit submit. :grin:

I forgot about the H20 though.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:45 AM

I forgot about the H20 though.

Mike

I think most want to also. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...