Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Android HTC Desire will not Sync with Win 7

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,050 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:59 AM

I spent all sorts of time trying to get my HTC Desire to Sync with my HP laptop running Win 7. I spent an hour surfing the web for solutions but I don't get anywhere. The Sync doesnt see the phone, the computer will charge the phone but says it is not recognised. I tried the USB debugging on and off, tried rebooting phone while hooked up, tried rebooting laptop while phone hooked up and got nowhere.

Anyone have suggestions?

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:30 AM

Couple of things... Have you tried a different USB port. This is on a laptop, correct?

Also, try a powered USB hub. It's possible for some reason that the USB port on the laptop is not supplying enough power, although as the phone has it's own power source, it shouldn't be an issue.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:08 AM

I hate to ask a potentially foolish question (even though I'm good a that :D)...

But did you install drivers/software with the unit first?

If so, was the device connected to the USB port at that time?

The reason I ask is that some of the devices I've installed int he past require the software to be installed first without the device connect first, so that the drivers, etc. can be properly in place prior to connected the device.

Once installed, it can then detect the device. That was the case with my Blackberry and other things.

Just askin'
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#4 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,050 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:36 AM

Couple of things... Have you tried a different USB port. This is on a laptop, correct?

Also, try a powered USB hub. It's possible for some reason that the USB port on the laptop is not supplying enough power, although as the phone has it's own power source, it shouldn't be an issue.

- Merg

I have tried using all of the different USB ports but I do not have a powered hub, I can look into that.

Yes it's a laptop, although it's always plugged in to AC. All of the USB ports have enough powwer to charge the phone.

#5 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,050 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

I hate to ask a potentially foolish question (even though I'm good a that :D)...

But did you install drivers/software with the unit first?

If so, was the device connected to the USB port at that time?

The reason I ask is that some of the devices I've installed int he past require the software to be installed first without the device connect first, so that the drivers, etc. can be properly in place prior to connected the device.

Once installed, it can then detect the device. That was the case with my Blackberry and other things.

Just askin'

I have been plugging in the phone to charge it for a couple of months now without the Sync software and I always get the same notice of device not recognized.

What I did was yesterday I decided to start using more of the phone functions and wanted to try this Sync deal, went to the HTC website, looked up my phone and carrier and downloaded the software that applied. Next I ran the program and it says no device attached, plugged in my phone and the program never recognized the phone, then I got the same device not recognized pop-up.

After all of that I tried shutting down each device while connected and still no love.

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:02 PM

I have been plugging in the phone to charge it for a couple of months now without the Sync software and I always get the same notice of device not recognized.

What I did was yesterday I decided to start using more of the phone functions and wanted to try this Sync deal, went to the HTC website, looked up my phone and carrier and downloaded the software that applied. Next I ran the program and it says no device attached, plugged in my phone and the program never recognized the phone, then I got the same device not recognized pop-up.

After all of that I tried shutting down each device while connected and still no love.

Hmmmm...

If you go into the control panel...is there anything related to the HTC in terms of software showing up under "programs"?

If so, you might want to do an uninstall, and then a reinstall (without the phone connected until the install process is completed)...

#7 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

http://www.mydigital...m-in-windows-7/

Links to the HTC Win7 drivers for 32 and 64 in that post. Worked perfectly for the wife's MyTouch 3G Slide.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#8 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:42 PM

Also make sure you have the correct version of Sync installed.

http://www.htc.com/www/support.aspx

Also check your screen on debugging and make sure you don't have it set to charge only.

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:57 AM

Scott - did you get things working now?

#10 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,050 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:07 PM

Scott - did you get things working now?

I'm going to try the drivers from RasputinAXP after the game tonight, I am sure I got the correct software from HTC because when you choose what phone you have you also have to choose your carrier. I assume that means different carriers may have a slightly different FW on the phones. Thanks for all of your help, I will report back in a bit....

#11 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,050 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:36 PM

I think I'm going to try the usb cable at my office, when I plug my phone into that computer to charge it the computer recognizes it as an HTC, while I don't have the Sync software on that one it's farther along. Could it be the cable?

I downloaded the driver and I'm too dumb to install it. I'll get it, it's just gonna take some time. I keep seeing windows error code 43 when the phone is plugged in. Next step cable, if that doesn't do it uninstall and install.

Really I don't even know what the Sync will do for me but I at least want to try. :lol:

#12 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:14 PM

Really I don't even know what the Sync will do for me but I at least want to try.

I was wondering about that.
I've had an HTC Incredible since Spring and have yet to use the cable for anything other than picture and ROM transfers.

I just let my Mail app check my pop3 account and leave a copy on the server.
Gmail syncs itself.

#13 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,050 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:42 PM

Update: I brought the cable that came with the phone home from work today and hooked it up to my laptop and BINGO.... Instantly the screen pops up and says installing drivers, so now Sync works. Then I switch back to the other cable that I have and same "does not recognize" screen pops up.

I really don't need the Sync, but I do want to be able to transfer pictures and maybe someday some music.

One cable will charge only, one will charge and transfer data.

#14 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:47 PM

Update: I brought the cable that came with the phone home from work today and hooked it up to my laptop and BINGO.... Instantly the screen pops up and says installing drivers, so now Sync works. Then I switch back to the other cable that I have and same "does not recognize" screen pops up.

I really don't need the Sync, but I do want to be able to transfer pictures and maybe someday some music.

Cha Ching...glad you're in business.

#15 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:40 PM

Unless they jacked up the OS on that phone you shouldn't need an APP to sync. You should just plug it in through USB and choose USB Storage.

#16 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,050 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

Unless they jacked up the OS on that phone you shouldn't need an APP to sync. You should just plug it in through USB and choose USB Storage.

You are probably right, I bought a cable off Ebay so I would have one for home and one for work. The one that came with the phone I took to work and the Ebay cable I used at home, for some reason all of my issues came from the Ebay cable not passing data. Live and Learn, although by installing Sync I was able to install Doug's Android FW app.

Thanks for all of the advice. This is a great place to come with tech questions, there is an awful lot of knowledge here.

#17 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:44 PM

there are many charge only cables out there, you have to read the fine print..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#18 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,050 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

there are many charge only cables out there, you have to read the fine print..

Live and learn.

There are tons of posts on other forums with folks that have a similar problem and I just wonder if it could be that easy of a fix for many of them.

spam firewall