Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R16 Screensaver Problems

shef

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jrbr

jrbr

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:22 AM

That, or DTV itself.
I got my first Directv box in 1997, and had to buy it back then. I installed it, and the dish myself, and have never had any type of techie touch it, or
the replacements for it over the years. This was back when you had to subscribe to USSB (United States Satellite Broadcasting, I think) to get
the premium channels.
I've been a loyal customer all these years, but am now seriously considering chucking it all in and going with either cable (yuk!) or Dish Network... all over this screensaver.
I've tried the normal stuff, calling the tech support people numerous times, and even emailing them a 'not so nice' proposal for where they can stuff their screensaver.
All I get is that it's there to protect my tv... and, that I can turn it off permanently by pressing the dash button three times real fast.
If that actually worked, I wouldn't be writing this... so, someone is lying,
and it ain't me.
Ever be watching a football game that goes into overtime, and just as your team is about to score and win the game (or not score, and lose it)
the screensaver pops up and you miss the play?
Or, record that great movie on the dvr while you sleep, and find out later that the last few minutes of the movie is only the screensaver.. and usually with no sound after a little bit, so you can't even hear what is being said either?
I see absolutely no purpose for a screensaver on a DVR, that's a job for the television set. And, if I can't afford a tv that has a screensaver, and
would actually want one, I would ask for one.
By default it should be permanently OFF! If they want to add one, make it necessary to turn it on to use it!
The only reason the piece of junk is still connected is that I have been too lazy to box up everything and send it back. But, I can guarantee that I won't always be that way.
There, I've said my piece. I will now ease down off this soap box and
watch my screensaver for a while.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Johnny

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 22 January 2011 - 07:16 AM.
Mod edit language

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:18 AM

That, or DTV itself.
I got my first Directv box in 1997, and had to buy it back then. I installed it, and the dish myself, and have never had any type of techie touch it, or
the replacements for it over the years. This was back when you had to subscribe to USSB (United States Satellite Broadcasting, I think) to get
the premium channels.
I've been a loyal customer all these years, but am now seriously considering chucking it all in and going with either cable (yuk!) or Dish Network... all over this screensaver.
I've tried the normal stuff, calling the tech support people numerous times, and even emailing them a 'not so nice' proposal for where they can stuff their screensaver.
All I get is that it's there to protect my tv... and, that I can turn it off permanently by pressing the dash button three times real fast.
and it ain't me.
Ever be watching a football game that goes into overtime, and just as your team is about to score and win the game (or not score, and lose it)
Or, record that great movie on the dvr while you sleep, and find out later that the last few minutes of the movie is only the screensaver.. and usually with no sound after a little bit, so you can't even hear what is being said either?
I see absolutely no purpose for a screensaver on a DVR, that's a job for the television set. And, if I can't afford a tv that has a screensaver, and
By default it should be permanently OFF! If they want to add one, make it necessary to turn it on to use it!
The only reason the piece of junk is still connected is that I have been too lazy to box up everything and send it back. But, I can guarantee that I won't always be that way.
Johnny

:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

As for the screensaver, it should not come on when you are watching LiveTV or watching a recording. It should only come on when the TV is paused. You should also not have the screen saver itself recorded as part of a program.

While the issue of the screen saver popping up while LiveTV is on was once an issue a good while back, that should have been resolved by now. I have never heard of the screen saver itself being recorded. As for turning it off permanently, there is no way to do so.

- Merg

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 22 January 2011 - 08:16 AM.
Mod edit of quoted text for language.

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:24 AM

I have never had my Screensaver come on while I am watching Live TV so maybe you have bad software of a bad DVR.

I also can not understand how it could record the Screensaver as I have never heard of that either. What software version are you on?
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,883 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:35 AM

That, or DTV itself.
the premium channels.
If that actually worked, I wouldn't be writing this... so, someone is lying, and it ain't me.
Ever be watching a football game that goes into overtime, and just as your team is about to score and win the game (or not score, and lose it) the screensaver pops up and you miss the play?
Johnny

The screensaver should never popup while actually watching something. The only time the screensaver will come on is if you’ve been paused for a certain amount of time or are on one of the music channels. Did you explain to the CSR that it randomly comes on while watching TV?

Can you give us the model number of your DVR, how many receivers you have, and any other equipment in your setup? Does this happen on all of your receivers?

However, it really sounds like something is wrong with your receiver because the screensaver should never be acting like that. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of the screensaver being part of a recording.

With a little info maybe we can help. There’s a lot of very knowledgeable people here who can help track down the problem.

In the mean time you could try a menu restart and hope that helps.

Menu->Parental, Fav's & Setup->System Setup->Reset->Restart Receiver

Be careful not to choose either of the Reset commands because you could lose all your recordings.

BTW, Welcome to DBSTalk jrbr and I really think we can help so don’t jump ship just yet. :welcome_s

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#5 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,883 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:38 AM

:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

As for the screensaver, it should not come on when you are watching LiveTV or watching a recording. It should only come on when the TV is paused. You should also not have the screen saver itself recorded as part of a program.

While the issue of the screen saver popping up while LiveTV is on was once an issue a good while back, that should have been resolved by now. I have never heard of the screen saver itself being recorded. As for turning it off permanently, there is no way to do so.

- Merg

I have never had my Screensaver come on while I am watching Live TV so maybe you have bad software of a bad DVR.

I also can not understand how it could record the Screensaver as I have never heard of that either. What software version are you on?

I’ve never heard of the screensaver being part of a recording either. There’s definitely something wrong.

Hardware or firmware? I guess it depends on how long it’s been going on. If it spans versions than it’s got to hardware.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:44 AM

I’ve never heard of the screensaver being part of a recording either. There’s definitely something wrong.

Hardware or firmware? I guess it depends on how long it’s been going on. If it spans versions than it’s got to hardware.

Mike

How is that even possible? With all the problems and HRs I've had since November of '06 wouldn't you think I'd have run into that? I've never heard of that happening.

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:48 AM

How is that even possible? With all the problems and HRs I've had since November of '06 wouldn't you think I'd have run into that? I've never heard of that happening.

Rich

Not only you Rich but I have Never heard of Anyone having this problem so maybe he needs to replace his DVR.

We need more information about this problem.

What kind of DVR is it? What software version are you on?
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,883 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:51 AM

Not only you Rich but I have Never heard of Anyone having this problem so maybe he needs to replace his DVR.

According to his profile, he has an R16-300 and an 18" dish.

Mike

µß

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:56 AM

I guess it's possible for it to happen, why would he post about it if he wasn't seeing it? I've just never heard of it. And never seen it. Such a long post and no relevant info in it.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,883 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:00 AM

I guess it's possible for it to happen, why would he post about it if he wasn't seeing it? I've just never heard of it. And never seen it. Such a long post and no relevant info in it.

Rich

There's a lot of relevant info; just not enough to make any conclusions as yet. If I were having those problems it would drive me absolutely batty so I can understand the frustration.

We know it's an R16-300 on an 18" dish.

Mike

µß

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:29 AM

There's a lot of relevant info; just not enough to make any conclusions as yet. If I were having those problems it would drive me absolutely batty so I can understand the frustration.

We know it's an R16-300 on an 18" dish.

Mike

Always managed to avoid the R series except for the R10. Anyway, it's probably time to go HD and he'll resolve his problem that way.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:10 AM

I do remember an issue a ways back with the screen saver popping up while on LiveTV, but it was fixed in the next software update at the time.

As for him having an R16, I never had that issue on my R15. I don't specifically remember though which DVR had the LiveTV screensaver issue. It could very well have been the R15/R16 series.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#13 OFFLINE   jrbr

jrbr

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

I must be getting feeble-minded in my old age.
Anyway, per your requests:
My DVR is a Directv R16-300. It is a replacement for the R15 that went kaput last year. And, by the way, the R15 also suffered from the screensaver problem... though it only began about six months before it (the R15) went dead.
The R15 seemed to grow progressively worse (screensaver). and then one morning after trying to record a movie overnight, I got up and the R15 would not even 'light up'... no power to the insides at all. I called Directv and they
sent me the R16... and, from jump, it had the screensaver problem.
By the way, 'google' for 'Directv DVR screensaver problem', and you will see
that mine is not an isolated incident. There are several people trying to find a
way to end the screensaver used by Directv.
Now, for technicals.
My software is: 0x131E dated 10/27/2010 at 1:07AM.
I have only one Directv receiver in use, although I have an older receiver (not DVR) that I used until the new R16 arrived. It does NOT have the same problem with the screensaver, or didn't during the few days I used it before the R16 arrived.
I do have a double output LNB on the dish, but do not use the second one.
And, I cannot recall whether or not the screensaver gets recorded when using the DVR to record... however, I use a Startech converter and record from the dish to my computer usually.
I like collecting old movies from TCM and FMC. I record them as MPEG2 on the computer, then convert them to divx or xvid (using virtual dub) to save space on the drive.
And, I sometimes get the screensaver if the movie is over 2 hours long, and yes, it is recorded that way (if I don't sit and watch for it to happen).
It seems that 2 hours is about the limit before the screensaver comes on. And, yes it DOES interrupt live tv. It doesn't matter whether the tv is on, or paused, and wouldn't. The screensaver is between the receiver and tv, not after the signal gets to the tv.
I think Directv came up with this to get people to stop leaving their receivers on 24/7. And, for that, I will probably be changing providers.
I have changed all cables, both input and output to and from the satellite reciever and tv. This is not the problem, it is an internal problem... based on
a past software upgrade I would assume.
I do not expect anyone here to have the answer to my problem, other than
hoping that if someone else has experienced it and found the answer, they would let me know how I can get past this. I had rather stay with Directv,
but won't if I am continually watching the screensaver. When it comes on, you have no option except to push any key on the remote, or the receiver itself, and it will go away for about 2 hours... sometimes less.
Tech support at Directv will not even discuss this, other than to tell you that it is for your own benefit... then explain what a screensaver is for, and to stop it permanently, push the dash button on the remote three times very fast. (Any key will do the same thing as the dash button, but it is only a temporary fix.)
Sorry for the novel. I hope I included all the info requested. And, thanks for
trying to help.
Johnny
By the way, I have no elaborate setup. I use a 12 year old 27 inch Panasonic SD tv with mono sound only, but I run the outputs of the satellite receiver through a Sony 50 watt A/V receiver with dolby surround. And, other than recording the screensaver when it comes on, the Startech analog converter does a super job with recording programming from the receiver. I had it (or one like it) long before I ever got the first DVR, so it is not the problem either. It only records what comes from the satellite receiver, good program or screensaver. The entire fault is in the satellite receiver, not my setup or
equiipment.
Thanks again.

#14 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,883 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

I must be getting feeble-minded in my old age.
Anyway, per your requests:
My DVR is a Directv R16-300. It is a replacement for the R15 that went kaput last year. And, by the way, the R15 also suffered from the screensaver problem... though it only began about six months before it (the R15) went dead.
The R15 seemed to grow progressively worse (screensaver). and then one morning after trying to record a movie overnight, I got up and the R15 would not even 'light up'... no power to the insides at all. I called Directv and they
sent me the R16... and, from jump, it had the screensaver problem.
By the way, 'google' for 'Directv DVR screensaver problem', and you will see
that mine is not an isolated incident. There are several people trying to find a
way to end the screensaver used by Directv.
Now, for technicals.
My software is: 0x131E dated 10/27/2010 at 1:07AM.
I have only one Directv receiver in use, although I have an older receiver (not DVR) that I used until the new R16 arrived. It does NOT have the same problem with the screensaver, or didn't during the few days I used it before the R16 arrived.
I do have a double output LNB on the dish, but do not use the second one.
And, I cannot recall whether or not the screensaver gets recorded when using the DVR to record... however, I use a Startech converter and record from the dish to my computer usually.
I like collecting old movies from TCM and FMC. I record them as MPEG2 on the computer, then convert them to divx or xvid (using virtual dub) to save space on the drive.
And, I sometimes get the screensaver if the movie is over 2 hours long, and yes, it is recorded that way (if I don't sit and watch for it to happen).

Ok now I understand how you are getting the screensaver on recordings. It’s on the output side of the system so when you are recording the output you get the screensaver. You won’t ever get the screensaver on a recording made on the DVR.

It seems that 2 hours is about the limit before the screensaver comes on. And, yes it DOES interrupt live tv. It doesn't matter whether the tv is on, or paused, and wouldn't. The screensaver is between the receiver and tv, not after the signal gets to the tv.
I think Directv came up with this to get people to stop leaving their receivers on 24/7. And, for that, I will probably be changing providers.

Actually the screensaver is to prevent burn-in and image retention when paused for long periods of time or if you have a music channel on.

I have changed all cables, both input and output to and from the satellite reciever and tv. This is not the problem, it is an internal problem... based on a past software upgrade I would assume.
I do not expect anyone here to have the answer to my problem, other than hoping that if someone else has experienced it and found the answer, they would let me know how I can get past this. I had rather stay with Directv, but won't if I am continually watching the screensaver. When it comes on, you have no option except to push any key on the remote, or the receiver itself, and it will go away for about 2 hours... sometimes less.
Tech support at Directv will not even discuss this, other than to tell you that it is for your own benefit... then explain what a screensaver is for, and to stop it permanently, push the dash button on the remote three times very fast. (Any key will do the same thing as the dash button, but it is only a temporary fix.)
Sorry for the novel. I hope I included all the info requested. And, thanks for
trying to help.
Johnny
By the way, I have no elaborate setup. I use a 12 year old 27 inch Panasonic SD tv with mono sound only, but I run the outputs of the satellite receiver through a Sony 50 watt A/V receiver with dolby surround. And, other than recording the screensaver when it comes on, the Startech analog converter does a super job with recording programming from the receiver. I had it (or one like it) long before I ever got the first DVR, so it is not the problem either. It only records what comes from the satellite receiver, good program or screensaver. The entire fault is in the satellite receiver, not my setup or
equiipment.
Thanks again.

I’m going to move these posts to its own thread in the DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion forum.

Mike

µß

#15 OFFLINE   901racer

901racer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:43 PM

Same problem here. My wife uses an R16-300 primarily and she said the screensaver was coming on while watching live TV as well a recorded program. I guess I am going to have to figure this one out as well. I have HR24's, HR23's, H21's and this R16 and it is the only one with the screensaver problem.

I saw another post on the net where a similar problem with an R15 & R16 was solved with a new cable run/connectors. This is the longest run in my house and is old cable. I will put some new connectors on it before running new cable.

Edited by 901racer, 09 February 2011 - 06:58 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:44 PM

I've seen several reports of this problem with R15s and R16s. Looks like a software bug. The screensaver comes on after about two hours or so. Clearing the screensaver by pushing any key unfortunately clears the live buffer also.

#17 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:12 PM

That, or DTV itself.
the premium channels.
and it ain't me.
Johnny

Sounds like the old 18" dish, lnb, and cable may need replacing...

Did they offer any upgrade offers? If not I'm kind of surprised that for a long time loyal customer, they didn't offer an upgrade? They love that stuff, especially if they can rope into a new 2 year commitment!

#18 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:22 PM

I do believe that it is an active bug, though infrequent. If you complain enough, and to the right people, they may agree to replace your R16 with an R22, which is an HD DVR that has been stripped of its ability to play HD.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#19 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:44 PM

seabass - read my post (and Stuart's). It IS a bug, although as Stuart says, rather infrequent. Replacing dish, cable etc will have NO effect.

#20 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:25 PM

seabass - read my post (and Stuart's). It IS a bug, although as Stuart says, rather infrequent. Replacing dish, cable etc will have NO effect.

Sorry, I should have mentioned, my neighbor HAD the same issue and changing out the the old cable FIXED the issue. R-16 has not done the screen saver problem since. Sorry to upset you.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...