Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R16 Screensaver Problems

shef

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

seabass - read my post (and Stuart's). It IS a bug, although as Stuart says, rather infrequent. Replacing dish, cable etc will have NO effect.

Well...I have to admit I was a little pissed at the tone of this post, but you are right...my appologies, I called my neighbor moments ago, asked how the R16 is doing...it is doing the screen saver thing again. It has been doing this for 6 weeks now...humble pie...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:39 PM

sea bass, that's OK. Over on the DirecTV tech forums we have had several reports of the issue and have determined yes it is a bug.

#23 OFFLINE   kizmut

kizmut

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:54 PM

I have this screensaver problem as well. It wasn't an issue on my R16 until the last firmware update (0x1332). Before that the screensaver behaved and the guide, list and menu didn't instantly close on it's own within seconds of opening it. I wish there was a way to roll-back the firmware because I saw no improvements with the update.

Model: R16-300
Dish: 3LNB 18x20
Current firmware: 0x1332
Previous (functional) firmware: 0x10C2

#24 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:51 PM

This screensaver issue could be a corrupted file issue.

After living with two R15's for almost 4 years, I've seen some pretty bizzare behavior. But if you are really serious about resolving these issues, you can reformat the hard drive and suddenly everything seems to start working perfectly!

Of course, you'll have to kiss goodbye to your recordings, settings, and favorites lists and you'll also have to give DirecTV a call. If you're willing read on...

To begin, restart the DVR. When the message "running receiver self-check" appears, press the SELECT key. This will bring up a diagnostic menu. Choose to do a FULL REFORMAT on the hard drive. This takes a couple hours so don't worry about it. Just let it complete. After the reformat, you exit the diagnostic menu and the DVR restarts. You then have to enter your dish type afterwhich it checks out the signals.

Then you will get a screen telling you that you have to activate it. It even offers a box where you can enter your order number! (Not necessary)

To get the DVR back online you HAVE to CALL DirecTV customer service and have a live person send a refresh signal to the unit. Doing this on DIRECTV.COM or doing this using the voice response (computer voice) phone system WILL NOT WORK!!! Apparently, having a CSR reactivate (refresh) the DVR is quite different when it has lost everything.

As soon as the CSR does this, the unit will instantly begin collecting guide data and your problem(s) will undoubtedly be gone.

Good luck!!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#25 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:58 PM

My R15-100 does this. The screen saver will appear when on Live TV. Even turn to a PPV channel. I've never had it record a screen saver. The only way that is possible if you are using an external DVR or VCR/DVD Burner and it pops up.

Atleast your screen saver probably doesn't do this.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=192297

Edited by xmguy, 28 June 2011 - 04:04 PM.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#26 OFFLINE   GDRobins

GDRobins

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

Sorry, I should have mentioned, my neighbor HAD the same issue and changing out the the old cable FIXED the issue. R-16 has not done the screen saver problem since. Sorry to upset you.

Puhlease... Zactly how does the R16-300 cabling cause a screensaver to kick in? Or replacing the cable cause it to work correctly.  All that equipment cares about cable condition concerns quality of signal issues...  I BTW have the same issue with this model and it seems that I read somewhere that inactivity from the remote, ie... not changing channels for an extended period of time will cause the screensaver to kick in.  Also of note. I don't believe that I always had this issue with this model.  I believe that this was inflicted upon us by one of the software upgrades.

Gary

LOL  My screensaver was on while I was creating this post.  Now the receiver just kicked out of screensaver mode to normal operation on it's own violation.  Nobody touched anything.  :-|

Upon reflection.  It may be possible to restart the screensaver timer without clearing the receive buffer by bringing up the guide and then closing it  Dunno... but it sure is a pain in the butt to have to babysit the receiver..

Edited by GDRobins, 18 September 2013 - 09:26 AM.

#27 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,629 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:58 PM

Are you aware you're responding to a 2 year old post? :)

BTW  Welcome To DBSTalk GDRobins

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#28 OFFLINE   GDRobins

GDRobins

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

TY  

However,perhaps since both my mothers satellite and my own exhibit this same symptom... is it not still relevant.  Google searches will bring this page up for other interested parties.  I BTW spent 20 years as a communications equipment technician and another 20 years as a computer technician.  I can't help that I found it odd that someone would claim that replacing the RG-6 would have any affect on a screensaver problem.

Gary

Protected By... spam firewall...And...