Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Future: transferring recordings via Whole Home DVR network?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:39 PM

5) If they crap out on you....you will curse and swear for months saying "why the he-- didn't I do a backup. I've lost things that can't be replaced." :D

OT, but that's a quote I'm hoping I'm not repeating tomorrow as I attempt to verify whether or not my desktop PC is toast. :(

The jury is still out on my HDTV... I don't need anything else busted... :mad:

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

What about the content owners? Why would they want to allow their content to be archived?

But if I could have a DVR that does nothing but record movies and then I could offload them to an archival drive to be watched whenever I feel like: WOW!

Don't think the content owning companies would like that.

We are doing it right now as we are storing digital copies of the original content on our DVRs and what gives us the Right to do this. It is because we pay Directv for that Right who pays the Content Providers so Directv lets us store our digital copy on our DVR for time shifting purposes so we can Watch What I Want When I Want To and Where I Want To Watch It.

Archiving or Backing It Up is an Extension of that Right that we paid for so we can watch it later if my hard drive dies on my DVR or my DVR dies because of a bad Power Supply unit or whatever reason I can Replace the drive or DVR and copy the recordings from my Back Up External Hard Drive and be right back where I was which is the Sole Purpose of the Backup Process. Ever heard of "Disaster Recovery Process" in the Corporate World.

You Paid For A Digital Copy Of The Content and as long as you don't distribute it to the world then Directv or the Content Providers don't care as they have their money. It is for my personal use.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#43 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:56 PM

We are doing it right now as we are storing digital copies of the original content on our DVRs and what gives us the Right to do this. It is because we pay Directv for that Right who pays the Content Providers so Directv lets us store our digital copy on our DVR for time shifting purposes so we can Watch What I Want When I Want To and Where I Want To Watch It.

Archiving or Backing It Up is an Extension of that Right that we paid for so we can watch it later if my hard drive dies on my DVR or my DVR dies because of a bad Power Supply unit or whatever reason I can Replace the drive or DVR and copy the recordings from my Back Up External Hard Drive and be right back where I was which is the Sole Purpose of the Backup Process. Ever heard of "Disaster Recovery Process" in the Corporate World.

You Paid For A Digital Copy Of The Content and as long as you don't distribute it to the world then Directv or the Content Providers don't care as they have their money. It is for my personal use.

I don't think it works quite like that.... :P

We don't technically PAY to OWN the content (good grief... I'd hate to see my bill if we did), I think of it more as a kind gesture on the parts of the people allowing us to... ;)

~Alan

#44 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

Legally, it's a license. You own nothing. That may not be fair or just in your mind but it is the current law. If you disagree with it, work to change it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#45 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

Legally, it's a license. You own nothing. That may not be fair or just in your mind but it is the current law. If you disagree with it, work to change it.

What I meant to say but didn't say correctly is that you are in effect leasing the content for a fee and as long as you pay Directv (who in turn pays the Content Providers) then you can view it and retain a digital copy on your DVRs. Once you quit paying the rent so to speak then you want be able to view that leased content.

So why would Directv or the Content Providers care if Directv lets us back up out digital copy so we can restore it later in the event of a catastrophic failure such as a hard drive crash and burn?

They wouldn't as long as they are being paid as I can't give a friend or relative or whomever copies of my content as they will not be viewable without Directv being able to verify that my DVRs belong to me.
Here's My Setup

#46 OFFLINE   eichenberg

eichenberg

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:51 PM

Archiving is currently possible with TiVo and Dish Network.

It's certainly possible that DirecTV does not feel this feature is important enough to rock the boat, but others apparently do, and have had success with it.

~Alan

I was reading this thread and the whole time I was thinking to myself that when I was with Dish a few years ago I had the capability of moving everything off my DVR to the external attached to the receiver. I had a receiver go bad and had to be replaced. My kids were horrified that their shows we had recorded were going to be lost forever. So I bought a 1 TB Seagate external and moved all shows to it and after the replacement receiver was hooked up, moved it all back. The other cool thing was that if the receiver HD was getting full I could archieve shows the kids did not watch all the time, but on occasions did to the external freeing up space while saving the shows. The shows could be accessed off the external without having to move them back and forth. I have often wondred why Directv does not have that option.
Vizio SV470XVT1A
Yamaha RX-V663 DD 7.1
Dishnetwork
Vip 722k
DP 625
Soon to be Hopper/Joey System
PS3
Wii

#47 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

I was reading this thread and the whole time I was thinking to myself that when I was with Dish a few years ago I had the capability of moving everything off my DVR to the external attached to the receiver. I had a receiver go bad and had to be replaced. My kids were horrified that their shows we had recorded were going to be lost forever. So I bought a 1 TB Seagate external and moved all shows to it and after the replacement receiver was hooked up, moved it all back. The other cool thing was that if the receiver HD was getting full I could archieve shows the kids did not watch all the time, but on occasions did to the external freeing up space while saving the shows. The shows could be accessed off the external without having to move them back and forth. I have often wondred why Directv does not have that option.

Thank You So Much For Sharing That Experience.

People just don't realize that like a PC at some point your PC will Fail dues to many things and if you don't have Back Up Plans then you are Screwed and all the crying in the world will not bring them back so be Proactive and Be Prepared.
Here's My Setup

#48 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:37 PM

Some ppl living in self obscured world. :D

#49 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,669 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

Some ppl living in self obscured world. :D

That's OK...we still love ya... :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#50 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:47 PM

That's not about me but EHD archiving by dish. ;)

#51 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=159335

Welcome back 6-2009

#52 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=159335

Welcome back 6-2009

And again include that thread too, the debate is about old 'melted snow from 2009' while dish have it that time and today.

#53 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,669 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:41 AM

That's not about me but EHD archiving by dish. ;)

POW !

[Play on words :D]
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#54 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,579 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:44 AM

I guess technically archiving is available with DirecTV as well. All you need are multiple eSATA drives. Swap as needed.

Swapping drives is such a daunting process, it really isn't much of an option.

The fact that it depends on the long-term survival of the box that recorded it makes it even less attractive.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#55 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:08 AM

No one disputes the desirability of account based "freedom to move". Since, however, there is not even snail's pace progress on this, there are very limited options:

1. Kludgey copy to dvd approaches.This works for absolutely must have, can't replace program content.

2. Multiple DVRs with large drives and mirror the recordings. This improves the odds, but is not as safe as #1 above.

The bottom line for me is that a single large drive is of limited use, in that it can't be relied upon to store recordings long term. Even though I have one (2 TB), and like it, I don't regard it as long term (reliable) storage, as it depends solely on the source DVR.

It's a catch 22, until D* grants account based authorization for moving content. I'm not holding my breath.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

spam firewall