Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

second dish for vacation home temp use

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cbw

cbw

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:06 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and also new to Dish Network. I've had cable for years and years and will be getting Dish installed tomorrow afternoon. I have four TVs at home, nothing fancy, 3 are HD ready, one is not. According to the order they will be installing the following:

CORRESPONDING RECEIVER(S) TO BE INSTALLED
2 Rcvr 211/411 HD Solo
1 Rcvr 222/222K HD Duo (2TV)

My question is .... I'd like to purchase a second dish for my trailer (on a permanent camp site) and just take one of the receivers down there when we are there on vacation. Is that possible, and if so which dish would I be looking for? I saw a couple of them on ebay but not really sure what I'm looking for. The TV in the trailer is a low end HD capable 32" LCD and the trailer is wired for satellite already. I'm hoping it's as simple as mounting a dish, running some wires and plugging in one of the boxes from home. I just need to know what kind of dish to look for.

Thanks! Hopefully this isn't a stupid nooby question.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:43 AM

I recommend the 1000.2 dish, which will be aimed at the 110/119/129 sats.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

What you are proposing is against Dish's terms of service. You need to have another Dish account that you are paying for in order to use the service at a 2nd home.

You can move back and forth between 2 homes and take your receivers, IF you call Dish each time you relocate and tell them that you are moving to the other home location.

You can't leave receivers in either place when you move to the other... and you can't pay for service at one location and have service at the other without letting them know of the move.

I'll leave this thread open until the OP's desired motive is clear... but if it is against the terms of service, then the thread will be closed.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   mrc54

mrc54

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

I thought that ever since Charles admitted on Charlies chat that he took his receiver to his vacation home, that it is OK to do the same.

#5 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

It is ok just call and have the service address changed. The op has not mentioned anything that is a breach of the tos yet.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

It is ok just call and have the service address changed. The op has not mentioned anything that is a breach of the tos yet.

Which is why I left the thread open... in case he is intending to properly use the vacation home by calling Dish each time he relocates and takes all of his receivers with him when he does so.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

I thought that ever since Charles admitted on Charlies chat that he took his receiver to his vacation home, that it is OK to do the same.

Nope. Charlie has said lots of things that turned out not to be correct. As the CEO he might very well violate the terms of service for all we know, but Dish isn't likely to cancel Charlie's service if he does so.

#8 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 571 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:05 PM

We do allow customers to take the receivers with them to vacation homes (known as snowbirds). The catch is that they have to take ALL of their receivers with them, and call to have the address updated every time they do so (you can have the dish permanently installed at the vaca home). What we do not allow is for the receivers to constantly be at the separate locations, as this violates terms in our residential customer agreement. The 1000.2 is what I would recommend.

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:25 AM

We do allow customers to take the receivers with them to vacation homes (known as snowbirds). The catch is that they have to take ALL of their receivers with them, and call to have the address updated every time they do so (you can have the dish permanently installed at the vaca home). What we do not allow is for the receivers to constantly be at the separate locations, as this violates terms in our residential customer agreement. The 1000.2 is what I would recommend.

Exactly... and that's why I've left the thread open in case this is what the OP is wanting to do.

As far as I'm aware, this (as MattG described) is the only supported/acceptable way to have Dish in two locations on a single account.

#10 OFFLINE   mrdctaylor

mrdctaylor

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:04 AM

Here's the alternative that I've used for years:

Set up a second account. I have an old receiver that is on that account. This second account stays "paused" for $5 per month. When I go to the vacation home I call Dish to "un-pause" it. I pay the pro-rated amount of my programming and then call to pause it again when I leave. The only wrinkle is that a few months ago they implemented a new fee so I get charge $5 per programming package when I pause it again. Oh well. It still works and I can leave my primary residence on and running so that my DVRs continue to record.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...