Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Good Old Movies

nomad

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:24 AM

I'll let you decide what is old to you. Anyway, last night I watched Wake of the Red Witch from 1948. And I enjoyed it almost as much as I did as a 10 year old kid. But then it had Gail Russell in it. But the giant rubber octopus wasn't quite as impressive as it was back then.:lol:

I watched via Netflix Instant. The Logitech Revue up-converts to 1080p so it looked pretty good. Even the 4:3 didn't bother me. My 82" uses about as much of my field of vision as did the movie screens back in the day, or maybe more so it was a fun experience watching John Wayne fight the rubber octopus and free the kid from the big clam, what ever it was made of.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,790 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:44 AM

+1......a good movie is as entertaining today as it was years ago in spite of it's lack of high tech special effects. A few days ago I watched "Them". It has a assemble of great character actors encluding the rubber ants and a pre "Gunsmoke" James Arness! Nothing wrong with reliving one's childhood. :)

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:03 AM

I watched a recent showing of "Ben Hur" on TCM. I'd never seen the chariot race in it's entirety in one sitting.

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,653 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:32 AM

The Gunfighter
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#5 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,221 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:36 AM

I have always enjoyed the old classics but the other night I had the chance to watch the Road to Morocco with Bing Crosby and Bob Hope (1947) for the first time and really enjoyed it.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:49 AM

One of my favorite old movies is Buster Keaton's The General. The stunt work is phenomenal, and an amazing film over all. I actually saw it on Blu-Ray, it looked really good.

#7 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,320 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:00 AM

Buster Keaton on Blu-Ray ... who woulda thunk? :grin:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#8 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 632 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:55 PM

Buster Keaton on Blu-Ray ... who woulda thunk? :grin:

Yeah - I bet Blu-Ray really shows off Buster's many nuanced facial expressions! :D

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

Yeah - I bet Blu-Ray really shows off Buster's many nuanced facial expressions! :D

Here is one site with various comparisons (Blu-Ray on the bottom on the comparison shots, then a bunch of Blu only captures.)
http://www.dvdbeaver.../thegeneral.htm

Seriously, it looks really good. Now, some of that could simply be restoration work but being film, I'd think there could be more resolution than a standard DVD could do.

#10 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

I'll let you decide what is old to you. Anyway, last night I watched Wake of the Red Witch from 1948. And I enjoyed it almost as much as I did as a 10 year old kid. But then it had Gail Russell in it. But the giant rubber octopus wasn't quite as impressive as it was back then.:lol:

I watched via Netflix Instant. The Logitech Revue up-converts to 1080p so it looked pretty good. Even the 4:3 didn't bother me. My 82" uses about as much of my field of vision as did the movie screens back in the day, or maybe more so it was a fun experience watching John Wayne fight the rubber octopus and free the kid from the big clam, what ever it was made of.

Just saw Gail Russell in The Uninvited with Ray Milland and Ruth Hussey from 1944. I have always like Gail Russel and this was one of her first movie. She died way too young at 36 in 1961.

#11 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

Just saw Gail Russell in The Uninvited with Ray Milland and Ruth Hussey from 1944. I have always like Gail Russel and this was one of her first movie. She died way too young at 36 in 1961.

Yes she did. I read where the studio terminated her contract when she got caught DUI. Way different than today. Studios don't care what they do as long as they're relatively sober on set.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nomad

Protected By... spam firewall...And...