Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Congrats Pack

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:26 PM

Earl,

I think your analysis was excellent. And I'm glad you added the bit about Cutler being held back by the trainers. I wasn't sure what held him out, even if he held himself out, some injuries really are serious.

I was very surprised Hanie went in before the 4th quarter. Then when he got hit instead of sliding I wondered who the 4th QB was.

Assuming there is football next year, I can see Hanie having a chance to be a real QB for the Bears next year.

Cheers,
Tom

PS Brian Urlacher, a tough guy himself, stood up for Jay Cutler post-game.

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:31 PM

Yep... they are bandwagon jumping... given that the TRAINERS had the final say.. It makes a good story, instead of talking about how close the Packers almost lost a game they completely dominated for the first 30 minutes.

Or how Brian Urlacher had a monster game, and did everything he could to keep the Bears in the Game...

Or how a 350lb lineman, had the the 6th sense to drop off the line, go half the field to his right and get a critical pick 6....

But no... it's let's continue to attack Jay Cutler...

I certainly don't fault Hanie for that Pick 6. (well, yes to some degree, but...)

BJ Raji is VERY fast for 350lb. (or more...) But he (almost) NEVER drops back. He's almost always deep into the backfield even with double teams. :)

So Hanie, a 3rd year rookie, can be forgiven for being totally surprised by that move.

Hanie played well considering this is as big a stage as the SB this year.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#23 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,153 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:35 PM

The Packers were not all that impressive, despite their win over a Bears team that was poorer offensively and made more mistakes. When you finish the game with a QB rating of 55.4, as Rodgers did, that's nothing to celebrate.

Poor coaching, Cutler's untimely injury, poor offense (which did include some bad Cutler decision-making while he was in the game), a bad offensive line (as usual) and some poor coaching and bad clock management are what did in the Bears.

No matter, because the Packers have won the right to get their @sses whipped by the Pittsburgh Steelers, who will end up with a record 7th Super Bowl ring.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#24 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

I don't think it mattered much. For a 7 point win, I never felt that a GB win was ever in doubt. I do see the Steelers beating them in the Super Bowl, however.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#25 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:48 PM

The Packers were not all that impressive, despite their win over a Bears team that was poorer offensively and made more mistakes. When you finish the game with a QB rating of 55.4, as Rodgers did, that's nothing to celebrate.

Poor coaching, Cutler's untimely injury, poor offense (which did include some bad Cutler decision-making while he was in the game), a bad offensive line (as usual) and some poor coaching and bad clock management are what did in the Bears.

No matter, because the Packers have won the right to get their @sses whipped by the Pittsburgh Steelers, who will end up with a record 7th Super Bowl ring.

Clearly there were times the Packers were not executing on offense. But I never discount the Bears Defense these days. They just know how the Packers operate.

And it is unfortunate that the QB rating doesn't include rushing TDs. :)

I did not expect this many points. Both teams are very good.

I don't expect any can's of whoop butte in the SuperBowl. Both Packers and Steelers can play very, very well. And then the Packers will win. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#26 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,153 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:53 PM

Just remember last season's game when they combined for over 800 yards and Ben's last-second heroics.

Bears defense was good today for the most part, but turnovers, bad decision-making by Cutler and the coaches, and the other stuff I mentioned resulted in a Packers victory. They didn't win it as much as the Bears lost it.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#27 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

You limit technology so that one can't do both? I have Google Chrome open on a 23" monitor while I watch the game courtesy DirecTV2PC on a 42" HDTV. Hope you enjoy your frequent and abundant commercials. All I ask is that you start a thread dedicated to the game prior to kickoff and keep game-related stuff in that thread so that those us not still living in the 20th Century can enjoy the game(s) spoiler-free.

I've thought about this for some time.

During the regular season, we ask that titles be somewhat discrete. There it is not unreasonable for someone to delay watch a game.

But when I'm watching a delayed game, I do not surf the web at all. If I'm delayed watching with intent, I don't want any clue. (I've even watched one game with the bottom of the screen blocked so I could watch another game with my son when he came home.)

And these are the championship games. If I surfed, I wouldn't expect anyone to hide the outcome. There are no competing games right now. You either watch or you get the news elsewhere.

I guess next time, you might want to time your delay better or stop surfing when the game is getting close to the end. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#28 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:59 PM

They didn't win it as much as the Bears lost it.

But the Bears didn't lose it as much as the Packers handed them a loss. And the Packers didn't not lose as much as the Bears didn't put an effort in to winning it.

:scratchin

Never quite got that expression, to be honest, and I've probably used it in the past. It sounds silly now. Both teams played. One team played better than the other and won.

#29 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,215 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

Congrats Pack?

Is that some kind of Directv loyalty gift? :grin:

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#30 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

But the Bears didn't lose it as much as the Packers handed them a loss. And the Packers didn't not lose as much as the Bears didn't put an effort in to winning it.

:scratchin

Never quite got that expression, to be honest, and I've probably used it in the past. It sounds silly now. Both teams played. One team played better than the other and won.

:) I understand it, I have used it, but I ain't gonna defend Da Bears no more. :)

I do expect the same thing in the SB that we got in the NFC Championship game: a good, tough, well fought game--with a Packers win. :D

Go Packers!

#31 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:06 PM

Congrats Pack?

Is that some kind of Directv loyalty gift? :grin:

No, this thread is not in the wrong forum.

But thanks for thinking up a nice funny. :)

Go Packers!

#32 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:08 PM

:) I understand it, I have used it, but I ain't gonna defend Da Bears no more. :)

I do expect the same thing in the SB that we got in the NFC Championship game: a good, tough, well fought game--with a Packers win. :D

Yeah I guess it seems sore-losery when it's not used in the context of one of my teams... which is why I'll probably quit using it. :lol:

#33 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

Sorry sir Vader - but have to disagree.

You apparently missed the fact that they are the first NFC team EVER to come in the 6th seed and get to the Superbowl...not to mention 5 do-or-die consecutive games they won. They did that with 15 players on the season-ending Injured reserve list.

Most teams never even make the playoffs whatsoever under those circumstances. This season itself and getting to the Superbowl was beyond impressive to those who actually followed the path. Even we fans have to marvel.

On this day - the Packer DEFENSE outplayed the Bears defense....how ironic for the Bears to lose that way.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#34 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 696 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

After a miserable loss to the Lions, the Pack beat Giants, Bears at home. Then on the road Eagles, Falcons, Bears to round out the last 5. Pretty impressive stretch.

Favre struggled a little on dome turf, I like our chances with Rodgers....

Plus he gets to wear his favorite shoes for the finale........:)

All of us are just enjoying the ride right now. The Bears played a decent game and Urlacher is a class act. But #182 belongs to the Pack.

I hope the Steelers are favored to win by a small margin.....that puts more pressure on them. And there are a lot of folks who still dislike big Ben for his antics off the field.

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#35 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,153 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:04 PM

Care to put a little wager on that? If Steelers win, I get to take your place for one week while you become a Padawan. (Anything that allows me to ban that grumpy James Long for a change!) :lol:

#36 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:08 PM

What I noticed in the Packers game, was the lack of any running game due to the Bears defense. In the Steelers/Jets game, the Steelers were allowing the Jets several 9 yard runs. If they allow Green Bay to get 9 yard runs AND pass, that will make it a totally winnable game for the Packers.

In any event, it should be a great game... Not so fun as watching this one with my Packer Fan family, but fun none the less.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#37 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

I don't think Green Bay stands a chance against Pittsburgh's defense.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#38 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 696 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:14 PM

I don't think Green Bay stands a chance against Pittsburgh's defense.

I think we can all agree their chances are better than if it was the Bears against the Steelers. :)

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#39 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

Sorry sir Vader - but have to disagree.

You apparently missed the fact that they are the first NFC team EVER to come in the 6th seed and get to the Superbowl...not to mention 5 do-or-die consecutive games they won. They did that with 15 players on the season-ending Injured reserve list.

Will give the Packers a ton of credit, for the 15 players on the IR...
And having played 5 lose and be done games in a row... that is a lot of pressure.

But please, spare us the: First 6th seed nonsense.

Seeding means NOTHING in the NFL Playoffs unless you are #1 or #2; 3, 4, 5, 6 all play the first weekend.

And this year most of all... the WORSE team in the playoffs, Seattle was a #4, because a nonsense rule that you can almost bet is going to be changed in the near future. (not that they wouldn't get in, but they most certainly wouldn't have gotten a home game)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#40 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:34 PM

I think we can all agree their chances are better than if it was the Bears against the Steelers. :)

Why?

Any Sunday, Any Day...

One completed pass to Hester on that first drive.. 7-7, different game.

Field Goal instead of a pick-6 last week against Atlanta, maybe a different game.

Cutler doesn't air-ball, which turns into a pick 4 weeks back, Packers are maybe not in the playoffs.

You look at what the Pack did in their last two meetings with the Bears... they won by 1 score... even today's game... Their offense scored 2 times... and they dominated the field position game today... 2 times...

And if not for an impressive Pick-6 by a monster sized lineman... this may be a different ending... heck, it almost was a different ending.

The Bears can play... they had plenty of bounces their way this year... but you can say that about every team, just about every year.

The different from first to worse in this league is not all that much right now.

Pitt's defense is very good... equal or maybe even better then the Bears..
Pitt's offense may NOT be as good as Packers...

The Bears would probably have the same shot against Pitt...
We will never know... As that ship isn't going to happen, and next year... The teams will be different, the league will be different, football will change next year and beyond.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.

spam firewall