Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Congrats Pack

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:35 PM

If you're reading DBSTalk and not watching the playoffs live then you probably don't care that much about football.

Couldn't disagree more. What does watching live have to do with being a football fan? You like commercials and halftime that much?

I always delay the start of sporting events. ALL sporting events, so that I can zip through commercials and skip halftime. Sometimes that means that I'm 10-15 minutes behind when the game ends.

What harm could there possibly be to have threads like this titled "Bears vs Packers: spoilers within"??

Even if it only effects ONE user, what's the harm?

It's inconsiderate, but yet it continues to happen for most sporting events. I don't understand why it happens here of all forums.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

Couldn't disagree more. What does watching live have to do with being a football fan? You like commercials and halftime that much?

I always delay the start of sporting events. ALL sporting events, so that I can zip through commercials and skip halftime. Sometimes that means that I'm 10-15 minutes behind when the game ends.

What harm could there possibly be to have threads like this titled "Bears vs Packers: spoilers within"??

Even if it only effects ONE user, what's the harm?

It's inconsiderate, but yet it continues to happen for most sporting events. I don't understand why it happens here of all forums.

So when would have been the approrpriate waiting period... two weeks from today a few minutes before kick?

This was PLAYOFF Football, do or die.
Even with stinking commercials. a LIVE viewing event.

Being on the internet, especially in a sports forum... the result was going to be spoiled.

So sorry I posted a title like this... but at least not prettend this was an airing of a sitcom, or just another regular season game that may be watched later.

Me.... If I can't watch live, don't care what game or what time... just tell me the score...

That's just my $0.02 on it.

Oh and for the record, this particular section of DBSTalk... doesn't carry the non-spoiler rule, like our TV Forum does.
Maybe we shoul ask the mods to set a pre-defined time limit, on when it is safe to be spoiler free.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#43 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:40 PM

I've thought about this for some time.

During the regular season, we ask that titles be somewhat discrete. There it is not unreasonable for someone to delay watch a game.

But when I'm watching a delayed game, I do not surf the web at all. If I'm delayed watching with intent, I don't want any clue. (I've even watched one game with the bottom of the screen blocked so I could watch another game with my son when he came home.)

And these are the championship games. If I surfed, I wouldn't expect anyone to hide the outcome. There are no competing games right now. You either watch or you get the news elsewhere.

I guess next time, you might want to time your delay better or stop surfing when the game is getting close to the end. :)

Cheers,
Tom

I've thought about it a lot too over the last several years as this keeps happening (and apparently always will). I wouldn't expect the outcome to be hidden on any other forum, which is why I don't go to any other forum. But on a forum where the majority of members use DVR's and time shift it just shouldn't happen.

Again, what's the harm? What's the downside of not having spoilers in the title? There isn't one.

I happened to be caught up today for the Packers game, but I wasn't for the Steelers game. So guess what? I knew I couldn't come to this forum. Is that the goal? Keep members out during certain times?

Might not be a big deal to most and generally it doesn't effect me either, but it's still a bit rude.

This is the forum many members go to when they're surfing the web and watching TV. Allowing spoilers in titles, prevents that.

After the pack game, I spent another hour surfing the web and this was the only site I went to that spoiled the outcome (for those who might not have known). It's also the only site dedicated to TV and DVR's. That seems backwards to me.

#44 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:41 PM

So when would have been the approrpriate waiting period... two weeks from today a few minutes before kick?

Why have a waiting period at all?

Answer the original question I posted Earl. What's the downside to having a title about the game without a spoiler??

#45 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:47 PM

Why have a waiting period at all?

Answer the original question I posted Earl. What's the downside to having a title about the game without a spoiler??

There is no downside... You know the answer to that, and hence why it has been asked by you three times now.

But seriously... mountains out of mole-hills here.

If we want to turn this into a debate about thread topics... then it will be a short conversation, as we know the answer already.

But then again to the other point... if you were really intrested in not being spoiled about the result... then why be on the internet?

What is the harm about not going into a sports discussion forum, until the game that wasn't to be spoiled could be discussed?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#46 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 714 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:58 PM

I just realized with the current discussion, If I am watching one of my sports teams time-shifted, I better not accidentally hit TVApps because showing all my local sports teams scores, it will spoil my day!

@Earl- I said before the start of Today's game, and assuming the Bears played the same as the last game of the season, if the Packers played the same as the last game of the season....we would likely not win. We needed to elevate our game.

We did not, but luckily the Bears did worse today.

Remember how many games we lost this season by a field goal? Traumatizing. Lovie still has a winning record against the Pack, but we won a very important game. There is no one on the Packer roster that has won a Super Bowl. Ikes. <Crossing fingers>

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#47 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:03 PM

I just realized with the current discussion, If I am watching one of my sports teams time-shifted, I better not accidentally hit TVApps because showing all my local sports teams scores, it will spoil my day!

@Earl- I said before the start of Today's game, and assuming the Bears played the same as the last game of the season, if the Packers played the same as the last game of the season....we would likely not win. We needed to elevate our game.

We did not, but luckily the Bears did worse today.

Remember how many games we lost this season by a field goal? Traumatizing. Lovie still has a winning record against the Pack, but we won a very important game. There is no one on the Packer roster that has won a Super Bowl. Ikes. <Crossing fingers>

Exactly correct...

Two good teams played today... each defense caused havoc for the other side. Difference was... the Bears Defense got hit hard first, broke, and recovered... but damage was done.

Green Bay... defense started strong, didn't break... until the end...

The phrase holds.... 5 more minutes, and who knows... but you don't have 5 more minutes, time is up... time to go home.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#48 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 714 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:22 PM

Haine had a great game! He don't know what he can't do with the ball! He's got a good future ahead. The key for the second game in a row was keeping Hester in check. Special teams are always important- our rookie punter did pretty good again today.

Now back to my Filet with au jois enjoying this victory. :)

#49 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:27 PM

But then again to the other point... if you were really intrested in not being spoiled about the result... then why be on the internet?

What is the harm about not going into a sports discussion forum, until the game that wasn't to be spoiled could be discussed?

Because nowhere that I go on the internet spoils the result except for THIS site, which to me is very ironic.

And I don't go into a sports discussion forum, I come here and when I hit NEW POSTS (which is how I use this forum, and I suppose many others do as well), this thread will come up. Or if I use DBSTalk Spy, this thread will also come up. So, the only answer is to stay away from this forum in its entirety. That just doesn't seem like the way it should be.

It might be Mountains out of mole hills and to be honest, it rarely effects me (I think I've had one game spoiled over the last several years), it just seems weird that so many people are against a simple solution that would benefit others and cause zero harm. Zero.

#50 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:34 PM

Packers open as 2 point favorites. The line had already moved up to 3 now. Should be an interesting game with two storied franchises.
DIRECTV employee

#51 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 714 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:50 PM

Yea I saw that. I will only guess at who Bradshaw is picking. ;)

I have a neighbor who is a Steelers fan. Time for one of those cheese and sausage trays like they had in the Sunday Ticket commercial. :)

#52 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:58 AM

Random things in no certain order...

1. Cutler is a jerk sometimes... and doesn't play consistently... BUT he always plays. I have no doubt that if he could have played the rest of the game, he would have played. You can blame him for some mistakes in the first half, but nobody should be questioning him for not returning after taking a hit to the knee.

2. Lack of offensive line protection + Martz playcalling is really the problem with the Bears offense. Martz is a genius but also his own worst enemy... many of his plays only work under perfect circumstances... which means good o-line + right call for the defense + timing + anything else working to perfection.

3. The Packers didn't play great... but they were good enough. In the end, it's all about the win... not if you won by 30 or by 3. Green Bay controlled that whole game, even when they weren't scoring themselves.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#53 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:46 PM

Because nowhere that I go on the internet spoils the result except for THIS site, which to me is very ironic.

And I don't go into a sports discussion forum, I come here and when I hit NEW POSTS (which is how I use this forum, and I suppose many others do as well), this thread will come up. Or if I use DBSTalk Spy, this thread will also come up. So, the only answer is to stay away from this forum in its entirety. That just doesn't seem like the way it should be.

It might be Mountains out of mole hills and to be honest, it rarely effects me (I think I've had one game spoiled over the last several years), it just seems weird that so many people are against a simple solution that would benefit others and cause zero harm. Zero.

What's the harm in just not surfing during the last minutes of the game?

I presume you already know some of the sites not to visit during a live game, just add DBStalk to the list, at least near the end of the playoff games. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#54 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

Regarding comparing Bears vs. Steelers or Packers vs. Steelers:

Any given Sunday.
I don't know how the Bears matchup against the Steelers. So I can't really comment.
Heck, I'm not sure how well the Packers matchup against the Steelers this year--and I watched some Steelers games.

All 4 finalists were very good teams. All 4 had opportunities--but the Any Given Sunday and the Matchups Matter rules both applied.

I'm expecting a very good Super Bowl game. I think any combination of the final 4 teams would make at least a good game.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#55 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

What's the harm in just not surfing during the last minutes of the game?

I presume you already know some of the sites not to visit during a live game, just add DBStalk to the list, at least near the end of the playoff games. :)

Cheers,
Tom

I understand Tom and this will be my last comment on the subject, but what's the harm in not having spoilers in the title? I (and I'm sure many) don't just surf during the last part of a game, I surf the whole game. Sometimes I forget that I'm not caught up to live and I surf the same standard sites I normally do (here, some droid sites, some deal sites, some work sites, my email accounts).

And why just playoff games? Seems much simpler to just not have spoilers in titles for any program (sports, TV, movies, etc.). Not sure why this suggestion causes such resistance and angst. Seems simple enough.

#56 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:02 PM

I understand Tom and this will be my last comment on the subject, but what's the harm in not having spoilers in the title? I (and I'm sure many) don't just surf during the last part of a game, I surf the whole game. Sometimes I forget that I'm not caught up to live and I surf the same standard sites I normally do (here, some droid sites, some deal sites, some work sites, my email accounts).

And why just playoff games? Seems much simpler to just not have spoilers in titles for any program (sports, TV, movies, etc.). Not sure why this suggestion causes such resistance and angst. Seems simple enough.

After hearing your POV I have to agree. I personally can't imagine not watching playoff football live, but I understand your point and don't see any harm in putting in a 1 hour rule (or more) to prevent spoiling. I watch all football live and the few times I've tried to watch it delayed it just didn't feel the same. But that's your prerogative and I think a rule should be considered.

#57 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

Mostly because you're asking the many to conform to the requests of the few. When thousands millions of other sites across the internet will be broadcasting the information.

You can't go to any news sites. They don't block the info.
You can't go to any sports sites. They don't block the info.
You can't go to facebook, twitter, myspace, or, or, or...

So during the time you're behind, just don't surf. Or don't be surprised. You're asking too many people to think about too few people all the time. It just doesn't happen. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#58 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,643 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

Mostly because you're asking the many to conform to the requests of the few. When thousands millions of other sites across the internet will be broadcasting the information.

So during the time you're behind, just don't surf. Or don't be surprised. You're asking too many people to think about too few people all the time. It just doesn't happen. :)

Cheers,
Tom

The sites I frequent on usenet generally follow the rule of no spoilers in the subject line. A couple other forums don't do offtopic. Keeping scores out of Headers/subject lines is a simple courtesy.

At the same time, hitting UserCP rather than new posts will cut down greatly on the chance of a random disclosure- just an idea. NO guarantees! :sure:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#59 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 714 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:18 PM

Cheers,
Tom

And they better not look at any Text Messages on their cell phone either!

Mine was buzzing like crazy at the start and end of the game. With how quickly news spreads these days, you would almost have to isolate yourself from society to not get the spoiler. I will second your comments here also.

#60 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

And they better not look at any Text Messages on their cell phone either!

Mine was buzzing like crazy at the start and end of the game. With how quickly news spreads these days, you would almost have to isolate yourself from society to not get the spoiler. I will second your comments here also.

I had 3 phone calls (two of which ended up as voicemails), at least 2 text messages, many facebook notes, etc. And several many emails. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...