Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM LNB and cold weather...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   abooch

abooch

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:31 AM

I've been reading about the SWM LNBs and the cold weather... I've had D for over 2 years and never had this problem before and can't remembering it getting to under 0 degrees here in NJ at that time... I was getting the 771A error on all receivers but I poured some warm water over the LNB to realize that it was the cold weather... as it was warming up to above ten degrees it seems to be just the HR21 that has that problem now... I know D* knows there is an issue with WNC branded LNBs and the cold but will they replace it for me?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   goldwing

goldwing

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSW OHIO

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

Now i dont know about swm but i just replaced a bad sl5 lnb today because of signal problems and it was a WNC brand. My new one isnt and it fixed all my problems. I was getting 0%-40% depending on what time of day and now i am getting mid 90%. I found it much easier to keep dtv out of it all together and bought my own replacement and did the install myself. It was cheaper and faster doing that then running through hoops with their techs. Just my 2 cents :)

#3 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

I've been reading about the SWM LNBs and the cold weather... I've had D for over 2 years and never had this problem before and can't remembering it getting to under 0 degrees here in NJ at that time... I was getting the 771A error on all receivers but I poured some warm water over the LNB to realize that it was the cold weather... as it was warming up to above ten degrees it seems to be just the HR21 that has that problem now... I know D* knows there is an issue with WNC branded LNBs and the cold but will they replace it for me?

There is.
They are.
They will.

They're also having a problem Zinwell "Green labeled" SWiM lnbs in cold weather this year. The newer WNC's seem to be holding up fine.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#4 OFFLINE   murry27409

murry27409

Godfather

• Registered
  • 331 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:35 PM

I've been experiencing a similar problem. I've 2 dvr's an HR20-100 and an HR22-100, in 2 separate locations, all within 75' of the dish (sl5, swm lnb)

Last nite, the HR22 (0x452) started acting up.I first saw a message that the guide info had not been updated in several hours. Then i started seeing 771A errors, 1st on 1 tuner, then on both. I rebooted and got past sat info as the IRD completed receiving sat info. I also observed a message that one of the tuners was not working (paraphrasing). Running a system test yielded a 51-000 code.

A couple of hours later, I rebooted to try 2 get back the 2nd tuner; that yielded a 771A error and a message that the IRD could not rec sat info. I was able to play items off my playlist, but nothing else.

All the while however, my HR20 (0x456) was working normally. No errors popped up from the sys test. All sat signals were very high, including SWM; both tuners functional.

The PI is inline with the HR22, so apparently that line back to the splitter seems OK, since the HR20 which is on a diff leg from the splitter was working fine. When i removed the cable from the PI 2 the splitter, I did see the HR20 freeze, then come back when I reconnected the PI.

I left it alone last nite, figuring i had done as much as i could. This morning, the HR22 was back online, both tuners working, sat signals very high, no error msg from sys test.

SO was it the cold?? It dropped to -8 deg F last night.
In the past, the HR22 has not even remotely behaved this way.
Could it be the cold, even though the HR20 was unaffected?
HR20-100
HR22-100

#5 OFFLINE   68rustang

68rustang

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:22 PM

There is.
They are.
They will.

Do I have to pay the $50 service fee in order to get them to do it? If I do I might as well buy the part myself.

#6 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

Do I have to pay the $50 service fee in order to get them to do it? If I do I might as well buy the part myself.

The cold weather issue is a known manufacturer defect. If you explain to the CSR that the whole system gives you either a 771 or 771A message ONLY when temps fall below 0, and that you have a SWiM system, they should schedule you a no charge service call.

#7 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

The cold weather issue is a known manufacturer defect. If you explain to the CSR that the whole system gives you either a 771 or 771A message ONLY when temps fall below 0, and that you have a SWiM system, they should schedule you a no charge service call.

How cold before they are affected and start causing problems?
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

It appears to be around -5F. I haven't had the problem personally, or else I'd record the temp when it happened :D

#9 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 721 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

We've gotton down to -15 below by me lately at night, but I'm running the Slimline-5 LNB then to a SWiM-16 for SWM setup. Have had no issues w 771's.

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#10 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

We've gotton down to -15 below by me lately at night, but I'm running the Slimline-5 LNB then to a SWiM-16 for SWM setup. Have had no issues w 771's.

The issue is only with certain SWiM LNB's. SWiM modules have so far been unaffected.

#11 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

I don't even want to think about MINUS ANYTHING as it just boggles my mind. I was in -4 once in Butler, Pa. and I thought I was going to Die.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#12 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 721 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

I don't even want to think about MINUS ANYTHING as it just boggles my mind. I was in -4 once in Butler, Pa. and I thought I was going to Die.

It was 5 below last night and we went out in the hot tub outside watching the AFC championship game.

Hair froze, but drinks stayed cold!!! :)

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#13 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,106 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:05 PM

It was 5 below last night and we went out in the hot tub outside watching the AFC championship game.

Hair froze, but drinks stayed cold!!! :)

Of course....football is a manly sport...5 below cold?...Naaahhh...
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#14 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

Of course....football is a manly sport...5 below cold?...Naaahhh...

Suuure :lol:
That's why with all of the pads and helmets right?

Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

It was -11 here when I woke up this morning. Managed to get all the way up to 10 by mid afternoon.

Luckily, no issues with my SWM LNB (no idea what brand it is).

#16 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

It was -11 here when I woke up this morning. Managed to get all the way up to 10 by mid afternoon.

Luckily, no issues with my SWM LNB (no idea what brand it is).

Same here. Hope this doesn't happen to me. Knock on wood.
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#17 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,954 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:47 AM

It appears to be around -5F. I haven't had the problem personally, or else I'd record the temp when it happened :D

I had one of those early WNC SWiM LNBs and it would drop out at when it got to about 8°. Much sooner than 0°.

Luckily it doesn't get that cold very often here in my area of CT. :)

I did finally give out and has been replaced...not related to the cold though.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#18 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:42 AM

These are the WNC LNBs we had problems with 2 years ago (in both 3's and 5's). I'm still finding some of these though. These are easy to spot because they have a solid white feedhorn cap, and they say WNC on them.
Posted Image

These are the Zinwell LNBs we're having problems with this year (in both 3's and 5's). While the newer LNBs do not actually have brand names on them anymore, you can spot these by looking for the clear feedhorn cap and the serial barcode in the middle of the green label sticker.
Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   jmf243

jmf243

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:26 AM

There is another thread in this forum I started when I started having problems with my setup. After trouble shooting numerous scenarios I've deduced the problem is with the LNB. I think my problems started when the temperature dipped into the teens for the first time. I'm only having problems with 771a, 771b, and 771 messages on one receiver that has the longest cable run to it. I'm going to check and see which 3 sat swm LNB I have.

#20 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:01 PM

Does anyone know if direct is doing anything about these bad swm units?

Ive replaced over 40 swm lnbs, all wnc, thats all des moines would ship us.

Direct was claiming no issue, kept sending us wnc replacements.

Ive lost thousands of dollars in lost work and driving around because of this.

We have now custom ordered eagle lnbs from denver, no issues so far.

Started about 3 months ago.

first thing we had it was still 50-70F, we had swm only capable of 2 tuners. If an hr24-700 would drop off (loose signal) it would enable the 2nd tuner on the dvr. If the 2nd tuner on the dvr dropped off the HD would start working. Swapped 3 lnbs, same thing, all came out of the same 4 pack. We had about 25 lnbs due this exact same thing, still in Oct 2010.

Then starting about 2 months ago the cold thing started happening. For some reason the DVRs would hold out while the all the other HD's dropped out. MPEG 4 market so almost all jobs are four room h24 boxes. Replaced, replaced, replaced lnbs. No fix. They kept sending non working swm. Direct was claiming the h24-700's were the issue.

A month ago it really started getting rediculous. Temps hit 0F, 3 or 4 phone calls a day of 771 Dec 2010

They still kept sending bad lnbs. All wnc. The coax inset went from whilte, to brown, to orange. All junk. 3 out of 4 were bad. Most of the time they would work for about 3 hours, then crap out.

Now as of 2 weeks ago, we custom ordered all Eagle aspen, no problems what so ever...

So are they just going to keep sending non working wnc to all who dont custom order????

Protected By... spam firewall...And...