Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fees

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:35 PM

I am considering switching from DirecTV to DISH Network, and I have a question about fees relating to DVRs. The first has to do with adding a hard drive to a non-DVR HD receiver to give it DVR capability. The second has to do with the monthly DVR fees if I choose to go with DVR HD receivers.

• Is the $40 DVR activation fee per receiver or per account? and
  • Is the $6 DVR fee per receiver or per account?
Thank you!
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

1. It's per account.
2. It's presented as per account, but additional DVRs are $3 more than the equivalent non-DVR.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#3 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:27 PM

OK. So . . . three non-DVRS with activated external hard-drive would cost me (in addition to the three external drives, of course):

• $40 one-time fee
  • $0 for the primary receiver (say a duo HD like a 222K)
  • $12 per month for two additional receivers?

-- Ira

"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,571 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:46 PM

$40 one-time fee

Yes. Once per account for the life of the account.

$0 for the primary receiver (say a duo HD like a 222K)

Yes. 1st receiver is free (per month) regardless of the receiver.

$12 per month for two additional receivers?

Close. $7 per month for single output, $14 per month for dual output.

#5 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:13 PM

I see - fee per TV controlled, not per box. OK. That gives me an idea of how I could compare costs. Thanks.
-- Ira

#6 OFFLINE   GravelChan

GravelChan

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

Ira, just in case you don't know.... You cannot add an external hard drive to a 222/222k.

#7 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

What's the per-receiver cost if the additional receivers are DVRs? Are not DVRs?
-- Ira

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,571 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:49 PM

What's the per-receiver cost if the additional receivers are DVRs? Are not DVRs?

Non-DVRs are as stated ... $7 for a single output (211), $14 for a dual output (222).
DVRs are $3 more ... $10 for a single output (612), $17 for a dual output (622/722).
SlingLoaded DVRs (922) are $20 per month/
The first receiver (the most expensive one on the account is counted as first) is "free". An account with a 922 and a 211 gets the $20 922 fee waived and sees the $7 211 fee.

This is in addition to the $6 per account DVR fee (one per account with any DVR on it) or the $10 per account slingloaded fee (one per account with a 922 on it).

SD receivers count the same as HDs ... the old 501 and 501 count as $7 receivers even though they are DVRs (with no DVR fee on the account unless there are other DVRs).

#9 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

OK . . . getting complicated. Really appreciate the help!

Say I have three receivers -- one dual HD, two solo HDs. Non-DVRs all. I activate the external hard-drive DVR conversion on all. So I would pay:

• $40 one-time activation fee (covers all 3)
  • $0 for the dual receiver
  • $7 per each solo receiver ($14 total)
Total per month: $14

Now, let's say I have three receivers -- one dual HD, two solo HDs. All DVRs. So each month I would pay:

• $6 DVR fee for entire account
  • $10 for each solo receiver ($20 total)
Total per month: $26
-- Ira

#10 OFFLINE   NickF DISH

NickF DISH

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

OK . . . getting complicated. Really appreciate the help!

Say I have three receivers -- one dual HD, two solo HDs. Non-DVRs all. I activate the external hard-drive DVR conversion on all. So I would pay:

• $40 one-time activation fee (covers all 3)
  • $7 per each solo receiver ($14 total)
Total per month: $14

Now, let's say I have three receivers -- one dual HD, two solo HDs. All DVRs. So each month I would pay:

• $6 DVR fee for entire account
  • $10 for each solo receiver ($20 total)
Total per month: $26

Yup, that's right (as long as you don't have a 922). Keep in mind if you are leasing equipment from DISH the first DVR is included with the new customer promotion. If you want a 2nd and 3rd HD DVR it would be $99 upgrade charge per HD DVR receiver which would need to be paid before installation. There would be no upgrade charges though if the 2nd and 3rd receiver are not DVRs.

#11 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:04 PM

Also, you cannot make a duo HD rcvr a DVR with an external drive.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#12 OFFLINE   Jeckman

Jeckman

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

I am new to dish. I currently have a 222k and a 211 receiver and was thinking of buying my own 222k to replace the 211 thus saving $7/mo and picking up a 4th tv for seperate viewing. A csr at dish told me I would still be charged the $14/mo (for a dual recv.) even though I own it. Is this true? If so that does not sound fair. Why would anyone own their own equipment? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Jeckman

#13 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:11 PM

No difference in fees between leased and personally owned receivers. Yes the 222K would be $14.00. I would replace the 222K with a 722K (no change in fees) with the OTA module. You get the ability to record 4 streams at once(2 OTA and 2 Sat) and can add an external hd to the 722K for additional storage. After Feb 1, there is no fee to activate the ehd, currently $40.00.

#14 OFFLINE   TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network

Legend

• DISH Representative
  • 127 posts
  • LocationLittleton, CO

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:27 AM

Why would anyone own their own equipment? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Jeckman

Just wanted to touch base on this one, thomasjk was right about the fee between leased and purchased being no difference. Purchasing your equipment makes it completely yours. So you wouldn't have to return it if you disconnected and, as long as the account is good, can be sold and/or transferred to another account.

Tommy Faust
Social Media Representative
Sunday-Wednesday 6:00a-5:00p (MST)

spam firewall