Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Returning access cards

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cableguy902

cableguy902

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:36 AM

Cancelled Directv, was told by CSR that all my receivers are owned. For some reason he also told me to send back my access cards.......... long pause......

Does it mean I don't own useless access cards? What's the point of returning useless items? I physically own 6 receivers (including 2 tivos), plus numerous basic receivers that have been long time buried and rotten at the bottom of the local dump. Anyways I physically have 6 access cards but was told to return 3, I guess because those were active on the account last. Last but not least I received a prepaid enveloped with spots for 2 access cards. Can somebody help me solve this directv puzzle? Which access cards should I return? Should it matter? Should I call them back? :confused::lol::nono2:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:56 AM

Send them back the ones they ask for. They check them for PPV that hasn't called home yet so they make sure to bill you for everything. I have shut off several receivers and never sent a card back. ACDT told me to throw them away.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 OFFLINE   cableguy902

cableguy902

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:29 AM

ok I guess I will just send them all 3 in this envelope them

#4 OFFLINE   cableguy902

cableguy902

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:31 AM

ops just noticed it says insert up to 6 access cards

#5 OFFLINE   klambert

klambert

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:33 AM

I had 2 DirecTIVOs and 1 HD DVR. The CSR told us we'd have to return all three, but instead I got one box with a label for the HD DVR and an envelope to return the extra access cards. Though unlike the HD DVR, it was just a generic mailing without any specifics. Just "put any access cards you have in here."

#6 OFFLINE   Elephanthead

Elephanthead

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

So what is the fee for not returning an access card?

#7 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:24 PM

So what is the fee for not returning an access card?

(2) Up to $300 Access Card Replacement Fee, if you lose or fail to return your Access Card (a partial credit may be posted to your account if the Access Card is later returned). If you request overnight delivery of a replacement Access Card, a shipping and handling fee of up to $16.50 applies.

Now it clearly says up to so that seems to imply that they charge different amounts based on situations.

#8 OFFLINE   tuff bob

tuff bob

Icon

• Registered
  • 645 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

It seems to be a new policy - i replaced a Tivo receiver with an HR22 and was looking through the instructions for the remote programming codes and an envelope fell out asking for the return of the previous access card - long past the 7 day limit that was implied.

Nothing seemed to come of it though, in terms of fees.

The CSRs need to be trained on it, when I activated the HR22 there was no mention of the fact that the card had to be returned!
Half a DLB, Half a DVR.

#9 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:43 PM

It seems to be a new policy - i replaced a Tivo receiver with an HR22 and was looking through the instructions for the remote programming codes and an envelope fell out asking for the return of the previous access card - long past the 7 day limit that was implied.

Nothing seemed to come of it though, in terms of fees.

The CSRs need to be trained on it, when I activated the HR22 there was no mention of the fact that the card had to be returned!

Not a new policy but I believe it's being newly enforced. That line has been in the service agreement for atleast 11 years.

#10 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:07 PM

I have all kinds of access cards in legacy owned equipment-some of which I reactivated on my account with the same card that had been offline for a few years.

Perhaps they only want the cards back when you CANCEL DirecTV which sucks because if you ever re-subscribe and decide to add your owned receivers back it will cost you $20 per receiver for new cards...

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#11 OFFLINE   cableguy902

cableguy902

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:54 AM

I have all kinds of access cards in legacy owned equipment-some of which I reactivated on my account with the same card that had been offline for a few years.

Perhaps they only want the cards back when you CANCEL DirecTV which sucks because if you ever re-subscribe and decide to add your owned receivers back it will cost you $20 per receiver for new cards...

This is just another way to make money. Nothing else. They call it "intellectual property".

#12 OFFLINE   johns70

johns70

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:30 PM

It kills me that DIRECTV claims to own the access cards but charges me $20 "shipping" :rolleyes: for a new one to use in an old owned deactivated receiver I got from my parents.

#13 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 734 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:24 PM

Cancelled Directv, was told by CSR that all my receivers are owned. For some reason he also told me to send back my access cards.......... long pause......

Does it mean I don't own useless access cards? What's the point of returning useless items? I physically own 6 receivers (including 2 tivos), plus numerous basic receivers that have been long time buried and rotten at the bottom of the local dump. Anyways I physically have 6 access cards but was told to return 3, I guess because those were active on the account last. Last but not least I received a prepaid enveloped with spots for 2 access cards. Can somebody help me solve this directv puzzle? Which access cards should I return? Should it matter? Should I call them back? :confused::lol::nono2:

How long did it take for you to get the pre paid envelop after cancellation?

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,888 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:38 PM

This is just another way to make money. Nothing else. They call it "intellectual property".

The access card is a key component to their security. I can understand them being a bit paranoid about them, plus making sure there are no charges pending on the card.

Besides, they ship them FedEx right? I believe FedEx doesn't do things in ounces, minimum charge is for a pound.

#15 OFFLINE   Joe C

Joe C

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:43 AM

plus making sure there are no charges pending on the card.

I would put mine in the microwave for 10 seconds before sending them back.;).

#16 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:47 PM

I remember back in the HU card days when you could get a couple hundred bucks apiece for them. People used to sell trashed, non-working recievers on ebay, just cause people wanted the cards. Those days are long since over and they are now pretty much worthless. I know that DirecTV doesn't reuse access cards, so I wonder why they really want them back? I have 8 post HU era cards sitting in my drawer, but can't do anything with them. I tried using them for a smart card project a while ago, but cannot write anything to them. Whatever DirecTV has done with them, no card reader I have found can do anything except read the number off of them (and even that was a PITA).

No, I wasn't trying to hack the system, just trying to use them for secure access to my domain, replacing the secure sign-on process in Windows (replacing entering a password at the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen). Can't get them to do anything.

#17 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:57 PM

I know that DirecTV doesn't reuse access cards, so I wonder why they really want them back?

Sorry, but that's not correct. Even the kitted cards that come from El Segundo or with a new IRD are sometimes re-used.

I got a replacement receiver the other day and it had an obviously used, old graphic, sealed access card in the box.

AND

I spent a long time on the phone with the access card distribution team tonight about using the cards that come with receivers for different receivers than what they came with. They told me that sometimes the cards get re-used, and that even though they are sealed, they can have a history on them. He had to check all the cards I had, even though they were sealed.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#18 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:39 AM

Sorry, but that's not correct. Even the kitted cards that come from El Segundo or with a new IRD are sometimes re-used.

I got a replacement receiver the other day and it had an obviously used, old graphic, sealed access card in the box......

IIRC isn't there a color code in the wrapper color for new and used cards? Something like yellow for new cards and green for used. Maybe white is in the mix.:shrug:
HR34/HR24-500/Mits WD73C8
HR20-100 HR24-500//Samsung UN55F6350AF
SWiM Network w/MRV
AT&T 2Wire Gateway Modem/Router

#19 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:41 AM

Hey, you're right. The new card I just used today was white, as were some other new ones I had, and the receiver that came with a used card I had left it's wrapper on the entertainment center... it's green!
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#20 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:08 PM

I would put mine in the microwave for 10 seconds before sending them back.;).

Might want to look at the up to charge before you intentionally destroy something you don't own.

spam firewall