Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sports Bar, Install Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:37 AM

Wouldn't this really be "switched video"?...

Yeah, I'm not sure I fully understand cabletech's usage of the multiplexor in the OP's scenario. The straightforward approach would seem to be 7 receivers in the server room with an HDMI cable to each Tv. I can see the multiplexor use in a hotel, but it seems overkill for a bar.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:38 AM

The equipment costs alone (no installation or configuration, just the parts) for an HD headend run in the neighborhood of $1500 per channel, vs $100 per channel to use a receiver at each location. I assure you that no bar owner is going to build an HD headend to run 7 TVs. Headends only make sense when you have a lot of TVs to feed, and can spread the cost across all of them. For an SD headend to make financial sense, you need a ratio of 1.1 or more TVs in the system per head-end channel. For HD, you need more like 5:1 or greater.

That's one of several reasons why most hotels/motels don't have HD headends already. The costs are too high.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#43 OFFLINE   Exerd

Exerd

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:38 AM

OK, so how many CAT6 cables are needed to make up for 1 HDMI cable when using them with the blauns?

I want to use the Cat6 cables with blauns. Trying to figure out how many total feet of cable I need to purchase tomorrow.

Thanks

#44 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:27 AM

OK, so how many CAT6 cables are needed to make up for 1 HDMI cable when using them with the blauns?

I want to use the Cat6 cables with blauns. Trying to figure out how many total feet of cable I need to purchase tomorrow.

Thanks

It depends on which blauns you purchase. Some only need one CAT5 cable to function while others need 2 runs of CAT5.

I'd suggest runing 2 cables as some of the adapters will also pass IR back to the receiver.

Besides, it never hurts to run an extra lead for future functionality down the line....

#45 OFFLINE   Exerd

Exerd

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

OK, I am still a little confused by this.

What "blaun" jacks do I need to order, to run 2 CAT6 cables to each, and terminate the cables so that I end up with HDMI output ports on the wall?

I am not worried about the IR signal right now. I just want to get it wired for HDMI to the televisions.

Thanks

#46 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:28 PM

OK, I am still a little confused by this.

What "blaun" jacks do I need to order, to run 2 CAT6 cables to each, and terminate the cables so that I end up with HDMI output ports on the wall?

I am not worried about the IR signal right now. I just want to get it wired for HDMI to the televisions.

Thanks

HDMI plugs have a min of 19 pins. So you need enough cable for 10 pairs minimum. Add pair for a telco connection.

I have never attempted this......pretested & cut to length cables have served for the few HDMI long runs I have done.

Good luck,.......try these guys: L-com Connectivity Products .........25 Years - Cables, Connnectors and Supplies - 1982-2007

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 04 February 2011 - 06:38 AM.
add a source

#47 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,375 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:41 PM

I'd buy hdmi cables from monoprice, and maybe add one coax run and one cat6 run to your runs to each tv just in case you need it in the future. But I'd only be using the hdmi directv to a directv receiver right now.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...