Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NAB to FCC: Don't change Nielsen system

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:18 AM

John Eggerton filed this report last night at Broadcasting & Cable:

The NAB issued its comments to the FCC about the current Nielsen market system for determining who is eligible to watch which channels when delivered via satellite. "The report was required by Congress in its reauthorization of the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act (STELA), prompted by legislators concerned about constituents' access to stations given the gerrymandering of some markets that cross state lines."

In effect, the NAB said that the system works fine for almost everyone, that it's always possible to license programming into portions of "orphan" markets, and any systemic changes would mess up local stations' ad sales.

Go read it here, then let the piling on begin. :)
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:05 PM

This report is a surprise? The NAB will oppose anything that upsets their applecart!
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#3 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:33 PM

The whole 'system for determining who is eligible to watch which channels when delivered via satellite ' should be abolished. If I want to pay to watch channels from a city I used to live in instead of where I am now, that should be my choice. If a family who live in Minnesota most of the year transplant to Arizona for a few months, they should be able to watch their home stations.

I understand the technical limitations of spot beams and all, but that's something different.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#4 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

Absurd! My sister lives about 15 minutes from Madison but 60 minutes from Milwaukee. Of course, the NAB puts them in the Milwaukee DMA. My mother would prefer to get her locals from out of state, where she's gotten them for most of her life as their weather forecasting is more accurate for where she lives. My other sister has to get her "locals" from 150 miles away instead of nearer to where she lives.

Out of my immediate family of six people this impacts one-half. I guess we aren't average according to the NAB. :rolleyes:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...