Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWiM and MRV Questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wagman

wagman

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:25 AM

Okay,

I have been pretty status quo for a while, with the exception of replacing an HR10-250 with an HR22 recently, and haven't kept up much on the SWiM and MVR fronts.

Is there equipment that will not work the SWiM? I have the HR22, 2 HR20's, 2 R15's and a D12.

What all works with MRV? Obviously, the D12 is not a DVR, so I don't assume it will, but what about the R15's? They are not networked, but is that a requirement with MRV, since you have to setup the whole DECA thing?

Is SWiM required for MRV?

Is MRV worth the price of admission? I can see where it would be nice in a few instances, but it seems there will have to be a large layout of money (since, of course, I am one of D*'s oldest customers...it's just a bonus to have to keep paying for my early adoption...and paying for all of the new people's free services...you know, satellite welfare).

One more set of questions: I had an earlier question about diplexing with one of my HR20's, which they do not support. It was suggested that I move the one BBC (that was on the diplex side) to before the first diplex location (where the satellite feed and the antennae feed join). I tried this and it worked great. But, that location is outside. The questions are: are the BBC rated for outside use? If not, is there anything I can do to "weatherize" them for this purpose? I did not leave the setup like that, until I hear from some of the more experienced people on the forum. I don't really want to make another cable run, so if not, I will just live without OTA for now.

Thanks
D* customer since they opened the doors (1994)---1 HR22-100 --- 2 HR20-100's --- 2 R15-100's --- 1 D12-300 ---Slimline 5LNB to a 6i8o Multiswitch---Gianormous Antenna in the attic for OTA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

This Whole Home DVR FAQ thread should answer most of your questions.

:)

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

SWM is a requirement for MRV. R15 will not work on SWM. If you upgrade to WHDVR, it will be replaced with an R16.

#4 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:39 AM

I don't really want to make another cable run, so if not, I will just live without OTA for now.

If you switch to SWM, the BBC's will no longer be required. After switching to SWM, you only need 1 coax cable input for dual tuners. You could use the second coax cable for the antenna feed to the OTA input at the dual tuner locations.

#5 OFFLINE   wagman

wagman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:56 AM

If you switch to SWM, the BBC's will no longer be required. After switching to SWM, you only need 1 coax cable input for dual tuners. You could use the second coax cable for the antenna feed to the OTA input at the dual tuner locations.

yeah, I kinda figured I wouldn't need another run with SWiM, but don't know that I want to go that route to avoid another cable run, without it being worth it.
D* customer since they opened the doors (1994)---1 HR22-100 --- 2 HR20-100's --- 2 R15-100's --- 1 D12-300 ---Slimline 5LNB to a 6i8o Multiswitch---Gianormous Antenna in the attic for OTA

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,655 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

yeah, I kinda figured I wouldn't need another run with SWiM, but don't know that I want to go that route to avoid another cable run, without it being worth it.

I can't answer this for you. I can only say for myself, both SWiM and later DECA has been an improvement.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:10 PM

Oh, it's worth it. SWM/DECA/MRV is absolutely worht it.

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,835 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:23 PM

I have to agree with the other gents; I tried to make things work without a SWiM or DECA for two years and am so glad I gave in.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   wagman

wagman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:31 PM

Thanks for all of the comments about the SWiM and MVR...it gives me something to chew on...the wife will not let me move on it anyway for some time to come, but I wanted to start gaining more knowledge on the subject (have gone through about half of the thread mcbeevee suggested).

In the meantime, any comments on the BBCs surviving outside?

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,655 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:17 PM

In the meantime, any comments on the BBCs surviving outside?

Not sure what temps they'll survive, BUT water isn't a good thing for them.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall