Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

This would end up on the SHAME THREAD

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:45 PM

Ok, would it be possible to put a standard dual LNB alongside a SL3 SWMLINE LNB to prevent the need for a SWM8 or other dish??
R22-200 (HD)
(3) HR24-500

R22's are NOT Worthless:)
Yes, I know I can't spell:grin:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:27 PM

Ok, would it be possible to put a standard dual LNB alongside a SL3 SWMLINE LNB to prevent the need for a SWM8 or other dish??

That is how you get local channels in some markets.

...................... DIRECTV 5 satellite to the Telesat-controlled orbital slot at 72.5 degrees West longitude (WL). Customers in those markets will require a second 18-inch dish to receive their local channels. The dish and installation will be provided at no charge. ............

Someone else may know the plan to abandon DIRECTV 5 but until that happens you get the WV snow reports from that 18" dish.

The dude was just following the specification......probably not paid extra.
DISH does the same thing.

Joe

#3 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

You *might* be able to pickup something if you rigged it up directly above the centerline of SL3/5 lnb. If you put it off to either side, it wouldn't pick up anything.

As for what Joe says about the 72.5. DirecTv stopped putting in the 2nd dish for 72.5 over a year ago. All those markets will be off 72.5 and moved to 99/103 by year end.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#4 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:18 PM

Ok, I get my locals from 99/103.(never has from 72) I was just trying a way to use LEGACY equipment with SWM without a SWM8
R22-200 (HD)
(3) HR24-500

#5 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

In West Virginia youse can have as many dishes as you want cuz. Their like Chevys, you always need a couple spares on blocks.

#6 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

You *might* be able to pickup something if you rigged it up directly above the centerline of SL3/5 lnb. If you put it off to either side, it wouldn't pick up anything.

As for what Joe says about the 72.5. DirecTv stopped putting in the 2nd dish for 72.5 over a year ago. All those markets will be off 72.5 and moved to 99/103 by year end.

I don't keep up and Directv doesn't return my calls. I knew that bird was coming down sometime.............he wants to hit the 101 with two dishes????

What?...This wasn't done yet.........I see; run the H 23 with the 18"?....no. Five lines are needed for the eq listed.

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 25 January 2011 - 09:22 PM.
slow figurin'

#7 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:21 PM

I don't keep up and Directv doesn't return my calls. I knew that bird was coming down sometime.............he wants to hit the 101 with two dishes????

What?

No.

What he was asking is, using one dish, could he rig up 2 lnbs. One SL3 swim lnb and a second basic lnb to run legacy gear.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#8 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:47 PM

That is how you get local channels in some markets.

...................... DIRECTV 5 satellite to the Telesat-controlled orbital slot at 72.5 degrees West longitude (WL). Customers in those markets will require a second 18-inch dish to receive their local channels. The dish and installation will be provided at no charge. ............

Someone else may know the plan to abandon DIRECTV 5 but until that happens you get the WV snow reports from that 18" dish.

The dude was just following the specification......probably not paid extra.
DISH does the same thing.

Joe

Not sure how old that note is, but its erroneous. The retiring satellite at 72.5 is actually DirecTV-1R. DirecTV-5 is at 110 doing nothing, at least for subscribers, at the moment.

#9 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:14 PM

No.

What he was asking is, using one dish, could he rig up 2 lnbs. One SL3 swim lnb and a second basic lnb to run legacy gear.

He doesn't list any legacy gear.

Joe

#10 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:19 PM

Not sure how old that note is, but its erroneous. The retiring satellite at 72.5 is actually DirecTV-1R. DirecTV-5 is at 110 doing nothing, at least for subscribers, at the moment.

As much as I hate to admit it....I may have to put in a month with an HSP just to upgrade my notes. It will either be professional technical education or uncollectable invoices. Either way it will be a business expense. If there was any other way....but many things have evolved.

Joe

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:42 PM

As much as I hate to admit it....I may have to put in a month with an HSP just to upgrade my notes. It will either be professional technical education or uncollectable invoices. Either way it will be a business expense. If there was any other way....but many things have evolved.

Joe

Back to boot camp for you... !rolling
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:55 PM

Back to boot camp for you... !rolling

Probably need it. But there is the insanity test problem. You gotta be nuts to repeat the same action over and over and expect a different result.

Then there is the eye test. I just can't see my ass workin' for the local HSP again.

I get the drift of what is going on from lurkin' around these sites. Probably should read more and post less. I has been awhile since I did daily production....maybe I'll get my kid to hack the Installation Verification (IV) program and sell it on E Bay as a phone application.

Joe

#13 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:07 AM

In West Virginia youse can have as many dishes as you want cuz. Their like Chevys, you always need a couple spares on blocks.

Those blocked up parts cars are also good places to mount sat dishes. You lag bolt through a roof into a board and that mast is not movin'! As a professional I try to select cars that have actually sunk into the lawn. They will not be moving any time soon.....And, even with chickens living in them, they are solid.

Joe

#14 OFFLINE   ccr1958

ccr1958

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:54 AM

Those blocked up parts cars are also good places to mount sat dishes. You lag bolt through a roof into a board and that mast is not movin'! As a professional I try to select cars that have actually sunk into the lawn. They will not be moving any time soon.....And, even with chickens living in them, they are solid.

Joe

haha...this is the best thing i have ever read on here... haha

#15 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:49 AM

I just bought a D10
R22-200 (HD)
(3) HR24-500

#16 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:55 AM

Another Question: If I supply a SWM-8, would an installer put it into a mover's
R22-200 (HD)
(3) HR24-500

#17 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:57 AM

Another Question: If I supply a SWM-8, would an installer put it into a mover's

The plot thickens,

IF you call Directv and have them send out a tech OR move and have them schedule a mover's connection THEY will list the tasks on a work order (WO).
The installer will do those things.

They will also do what is necessary to make your equipment operate. When you start adding equipment you run the risk the installer will not touch it...especially unknown D 10s. If your new box had ever been on another account there could be PPV charges due before activation or it may be defective.

He will not feel obligated to mess with it. He will feel obligated to do what is on the WO and move on. You are free to go through the process of getting the D 10 on your account and getting it activated after installation. And yes, you could set up an 18" dish to make the D 10 operate separately from the HD stuff running with the SL3.

Joe

#18 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:58 AM

Joe

Yup, Bubba, butya gotta watch out fer weed fade, pigeon droppings and the occasional midnight repo. :rolleyes:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#19 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

I just bought a D10

I guess the first question is why :confused:

You must not have "bought" it from D* since you already have SWM and would have received a SWM compatible receiver. By not "purchasing" a SWM compatible receiver you've put yourself in a slight pickle. The D* installer is not obligated to replace your SWMLnb with a legacy Lnb and SWM8 (even if you purchase the SWM8 yourself.)

If you use a mover's connect with the D10 activated you will get a legacy setup at the new home (legacy LNB with 2 lines to every DVR.) You "might" be able to get the tech to install the SWM8, but at this point you've really put yourself in DIY territory. Any chance you can return the D10 for a D12?
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#20 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:02 PM

My plan is: The D10 will NOT be activated until after the move, DTV will not even know I have it. I ordered a swm8 and I just plan to tell the CSR when scheudling the move that I have a SWM8 ready for the tech to use.
R22-200 (HD)
(3) HR24-500

Protected By... spam firewall...And...