Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

This would end up on the SHAME THREAD

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:23 PM

That won't work. Without the D10 you have all SWM equipment, so the D* workorder will generate a SWMLnb for the install. A SWMLnb will not work with a SWM8 (it needs a legacy LNB.) If you activate the D10 now the movers connect will generate a legacy LNB for the install (due to the D10 being non-SWM compliant.) It will then be up to you to "convince" the tech to install the SWM8.

As I said earlier you've kinda put yourself in a bind. The D* system is not setup for these types of situations. The tech may be happy to help you, but he also may flat out refuse your install. Adding the cost of the SWM8 and D10 together maybe it would have been better to buy that D12?

So, if I activate my d10 (I have wholehome that I activated online) Would the system build me a Legacy LNB and a SWM8 (then I could just sell my bought SWM8)? Should I take my legacy LNB off my house now when I move and provide it to the tech?? ALL I NEED THE TECH FOR IS TO PUT IN THE DISH!
R22-200 (HD)
(3) HR24-500

R22's are NOT Worthless:)
Yes, I know I can't spell:grin:

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:25 PM

So, if I activate my d10 (I have wholehome that I activated online) Would the system build me a Legacy LNB and a SWM8 (then I could just sell my bought SWM8)?

No, a legacy receivers builds a legacy setup. This means legacy LNB to Legacy multiswitch; and 2 lines to each DVR. SWM8's were designed for MDU usage, not what you're asking.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#28 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:30 PM

I think I have a solution: Sell the SWM8 and just put up a standard 18" dish for the D10
R22-200 (HD)
(3) HR24-500

#29 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

I think I have a solution: Sell the SWM8 and just put up a standard 18" dish for the D10

That will work, but why go through all that trouble though? Sell the SWM8 (and possibly D10) and use that money to buy a D12. This will make for a much cleaner setup (in my opinion...)

#30 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:53 PM

That will work, but why go through all that trouble though? Sell the SWM8 (and possibly D10) and use that money to buy a D12. This will make for a much cleaner setup (in my opinion...)

Because there is nothin like a lot of satellite dishes:D
R22-200 (HD)
(3) HR24-500

#31 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,937 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:59 PM

Because there is nothin like a lot of satellite dishes:D

Somehow I'm doubting that's the reason. Know this though that the instant you activate a legacy receiver with MRV or SWM on an account a technician will not be able to do anything on your account ever. You could also encounter programming issues in the future.

#32 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:05 PM

Call Directv a with that box in hand and tell them you want to add it to your account. They will want the access card number and or the RID (ReceiverID#).
IF there are PPV charges on it you will have to pay them and then purchase a new ($20.00) access card (AC) for the receiver.

They just want the RID. They couldn't care less about the card, because you don't get to re-use them. (typically)

You aren't responsible for any PPV charges on the card unless you are dumb enough to re-use it and hook it to a phone line for it to call home after you have it on your account. You just send the old one back in the envelope that comes with a new one and they bill whoever's account the card is on for any PPV charges it still has stored.

You don't have to pay both, you just pay for the new card.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#33 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:04 PM

They just want the RID. They couldn't care less about the card, because you don't get to re-use them. (typically)

You aren't responsible for any PPV charges on the card unless you are dumb enough to re-use it and hook it to a phone line for it to call home after you have it on your account. You just send the old one back in the envelope that comes with a new one and they bill whoever's account the card is on for any PPV charges it still has stored.

Matt,

That is better information. I try hard to never get involved with the customer and what DirecTV wants to do to them other than help them bend over. I did want to ring the bell that they cannot buy receivers to avoid paying to get them activated.

The other issue mentioned about legacy eq & SWM stuff is another deal above my pay grade.

Good one!

Joe

#34 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:23 PM

Yup, Bubba, butya gotta watch out fer weed fade, pigeon droppings and the occasional midnight repo. :rolleyes:

Nick,

As stated this is a professional deal.

Weed fade is covered in the technical bulletin covering: NOP/ POLE 4U+DISH INSTAL (NO PEE ON POLE FOR GOOD RECEPTION) where it states.........even though the pole and dish is not close to the door the customer is advised not to pee on the pole because it will corrode after the warranty period ...further it advises to dump used motor around the same area to stop weeds. This covers weed fade don'tya tink!

Both pigeon droppings and midnight repos are addressed by the local custom of keeping at least a breakdown 12ga near the door. Directv assumes no responsibility for hitting the dish while trying to stop a repo.

Ya gotta be in this stuff for awhile to understand all this.

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 27 January 2011 - 01:25 PM.
typo

#35 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:31 PM

The D10 will only be activated when I have guests......will this still present the problem that a tech would not be able to work on the system??
R22-200 (HD)
(3) HR24-500

#36 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:32 PM

they just want the rid. They couldn't care less about the card, because you don't get to re-use them. (typically)

you aren't responsible for any ppv charges on the card unless you are dumb enough to re-use it and hook it to a phone line for it to call home after you have it on your account. You just send the old one back in the envelope that comes with a new one and they bill whoever's account the card is on for any ppv charges it still has stored.

my d10 don't even come with an access card
R22-200 (HD)
(3) HR24-500

#37 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:07 PM

[quote name='Shades228']Somehow I'm doubting that's the reason.QUOTE]

That is true. I have an old 18" from my HD upgrade and I am going to make a pole out of some PCV pipe and I will get a cheap LNB from RadioShack. Again, the d10 will be used once in a blue moon.
R22-200 (HD)
(3) HR24-500

#38 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

The D10 will only be activated when I have guests......will this still present the problem that a tech would not be able to work on the system??

Yeah,

You gotta talk to Directv! You can add the box to your account. You can turn it off and on if you want. But Directv can and may want to limit how many times you turn the box on and off to save $5.00 / month.

Even if you do the connection they will insist on providing the $20.00 access card (AC) but will not guarantee the mystery box will even work.

A new D12 will come with a card...check that price.

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 26 January 2011 - 06:09 PM.
typo

#39 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,937 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:55 PM

[quote name='mashandhogan'][quote name='Shades228']Somehow I'm doubting that's the reason.QUOTE]

That is true. I have an old 18" from my HD upgrade and I am going to make a pole out of some PCV pipe and I will get a cheap LNB from RadioShack. Again, the d10 will be used once in a blue moon.[/quote]

I can't see how with the extra cost of a SWM 8, now doing a pole mount and buying an LNB, which you can't buy at radio shack, this is cheaper than the $20 difference for a D12.

If this is legitimate you're going about this the hardest way possible and just fighting the system for no real reason. Buy an owned D12 and go from there.

#40 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

our local shack has some for $3
R22-200 (HD)
(3) HR24-500

#41 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,780 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:33 AM

It would be much cheaper and simpler to sell the D10 on eBay to someone else and get a SWM-compatible D12.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#42 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:32 AM

It would be much cheaper and simpler to sell the D10 on eBay to someone else and get a SWM-compatible D12.

The people on the DTV forums say that I will NOT even get a swm with a movers (since my current location is Legacy), So I plan to ask DTV to send a legacy LNB and tell them that I have a SWM8 installed. If that don't work I will ask for a SWM LNB and preceed with the second dish plan
R22-200 (HD)
(3) HR24-500

#43 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

The people on the DTV forums say that I will NOT even get a swm with a movers (since my current location is Legacy), So I plan to ask DTV to send a legacy LNB and tell them that I have a SWM8 installed. If that don't work I will ask for a SWM LNB and preceed with the second dish plan

That's not entirely correct. What was said was IF you activate a legacy receiver (D10) before the movers connect, the mover's connect will be generated as a legacy setup (legacy LNB, Legacy multiswitch, and 2 lines need to be run for each DVR.) If you do NOT activate the D10 then the mover's connect will be generated as a SWMLnb (due to your current equipment.) With a SWMLnb the D10 is useless and would require the second dish.

You cannot call D* and ask them for a particular LNB as the mover's workorder is based on the above. While deviation CAN be possible the technician is required to follow the workorder to the letter.

#44 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,937 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:59 AM

This thread pretty much is over. The OP obviously is doing something and he needs that D10 not any other receiver to be activated.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...