Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV Transponder Map: New Data 1/26/2011

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

The attachments to this post cover all U.S. DIRECTV Channels and Transponders, CONUS (Continental U.S. or National beams) and LIL (Local Into Local or Spot beams).

OTA (Over The Air) data is provided in this DBSTalk thread.

DIRECTV Locals (LIL) information is provided in this DBSTalk thread.

A single Excel file provides all the CONUS and LIL data for DIRECTV Satellites at the 72.5W, 95W, 99W, 101W, 103W, 110W and 119W positions.

Note that at the bottom of the Excel page, there are four tabs or 'sheets'.

• CONUS TPN MAP lists all CONUS channels in channel number sequence

• LIL TPN MAP lists all LIL channels in network number (market name) sequence

• LIL MARKET LIST provides the cross reference information necessary to understand the LIL Tpn Map

• CHANNEL COUNT provides a count of channels provided per satellite

One supplemental document is provided:

• A NetworkDecoder map showing the satellites and transponders graphically as they appear on your receiver's signal strength display. The NetworkDecoder is updated only when there are changes.

The most current documents are always provided. All documents are fully unprotected so you may copy and use the data as you wish.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:09 AM

Thanks gct! :D
Go Big Red!!!

#3 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:59 AM

A lot of good hard work, for sure. For the life of me, though, I can never understand what I am looking at with these tables.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#4 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:04 PM

...for the life of me, though, I can never understand what I am looking at with these tables.

Tony,
If you will post what you think is not clear, I'll try to give you the best explanations I can. If you have questions, you can be certain that a whole lot of other folks do too.

Without your questions, I'm not able to see problems very well -- I've been doing this so long that it makes perfect sense to me.:)

#5 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

Tony,
If you will post what you think is not clear, I'll try to give you the best explanations I can. If you have questions, you can be certain that a whole lot of other folks do too.

Without your questions, I'm not able to see problems very well -- I've been doing this so long that it makes perfect sense to me.:)

Maybe just a how to to find channels. Like if I were looking for the transponder to check my locals (I am in Baltimore, WBAL, for example). I think I can take a guess but I am not good with the terminology. So, where do I start, with the end result being I can check the signal strength for that transponder on my receiver.

And thanks!
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#6 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,907 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

Maybe just a how to to find channels. Like if I were looking for the transponder to check my locals (I am in Baltimore, WBAL, for example). I think I can take a guess but I am not good with the terminology. So, where do I start, with the end result being I can check the signal strength for that transponder on my receiver.

And thanks!

For the local channels the important thing is simply to remember your DirecTV assigned "Network ID" number, which in your case for the Baltimore, MD. DMA is 525.

Then just scroll down to that specific ID number range now under the "LiL TPN Map" tab in the Excel document.

For example WBAL is listed as your NBC outlet on local channel 11. The HD feed is carried on spotbeam transponder 20 coming from either the DirecTV-10 or 12 satellite at 103 W which signal is measured on the 103s signal strength screen.

The SD feed for WBAL is listed on spotbeam transponder 26 on the 101 signal screen from either DirecTV-4S or 9S.

Its even more convenient now since all the separate documents excepting the "Network Decoder" are consolidated into one tabbed Excel document.

My only problem is that I'm not too proficient changing the view, editing or otherwise manipulating MS Excel. :)

#7 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:00 PM

And thanks!

Okay, Let’s do a step by step to find your local channels

1. You are in the Baltimore DMA, so first we go to the ‘LIL MARKET LIST’ tab at the bottom of the Excel screen. Here we find the line for Baltimore (row 19) telling us you are on Network #525, Market #14 and DMA #26. If you are interested, we can talk about each of these columns later.

2. Going to the ‘LIL TPN MAP’ tab at the bottom of the Excel, let’s scroll down and find your Network #525; that’s on rows #131 through #144. I’ll take your WBAL, Channel 11 as an example.

a. On row #133, WBAL HD is on TPN 20 (column D) of ‘D10 or D12 @103W’ (column E) and this will show on your receiver Signal Strength Display (column F) as “103S” (it means from the 103WL slot, and ‘S’ for Spot beam).

b. On row #134, BA11 or WBAL SD is on TPN 26 (column D) of ‘D4S or D9S @101W’ (column E) and this will show on your receiver Signal Strength Display (column F) as “101”.

3. Now we have to go to the “NetworkDecoder” PDF, which is separate from the Excel file.

a. Let’s go to page two of that document and go down column 4 (Beam/Rcvr Display) to 103S. The blue boxes are for TPNs 15 through 24. And the blue color correlates with “D10 and D12 Spot Beams”. WBAL HD is on TPN 20, and 20 is the 4’th box in row three of the 103S display. Most (but not all) of your HD Locals are on this TPN. If you are aligning your antenna, this is a good display to concentrate on.

b. On page two of the NetworkDecoder again, let’s go down column 4 (Beam/Rcvr Display) to 101. The red boxes are for “D4S and D9S Spot Beams” and show as TPN’s 4, 8, 18, 20, 26 and 28. WBAL SD is on TPN 26, and 26 is the 2’nd box in row 4 of the 101 display. Most of your SD locals are on this TPN.

Now you are ready to try a CONUS channel on your own. These are easy because you take the TPN, SAT and RCVR_DISPLAY from the CONUS TPN MAP Excel and just go directly to the NetworkDecoder.

A Good question:
Why are “D10 or D12” or “D4S or D9S” lumped together?
Because we can’t tell in those two cases, which of the two physical satellites is providing the spot beam signal.

#8 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

For the local channels the important thing is simply to remember your DirecTV assigned "Network ID" number, which in your case for the Baltimore, MD. DMA is 525.

Then just scroll down to that specific ID number range now under the "LiL TPN Map" tab in the Excel document.

For example WBAL is listed as your NBC outlet on local channel 11. The HD feed is carried on spotbeam transponder 20 coming from either the DirecTV-10 or 12 satellite at 103 W which signal is measured on the 103s signal strength screen.

The SD feed for WBAL is listed on spotbeam transponder 26 on the 101 signal screen from either DirecTV-4S or 9S.

Its even more convenient now since all the separate documents excepting the "Network Decoder" are consolidated into one tabbed Excel document.

My only problem is that I'm not too proficient changing the view, editing or otherwise manipulating MS Excel. :)

Okay, so if I were to look at the neighboring city (Washington, DC), I would find them under network 710. Then looking at 710, I find their HD channels on 15 or 23 all on 99S. I think I got it.

Thanks!

#9 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

Okay, Let’s do a step by step to find your local channels[indent=1]

Great. Is this documented somewhere I missed? If not, it is a great primer and should be stickied or put in the documents themselves. If I missed it, I am just a moron sometimes.

#10 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:08 AM

Great. Is this documented somewhere I missed? If not, it is a great primer and should be stickied or put in the documents themselves.

It's been a long time since we last published the "here's how" procedure. Let me see if I can glue in a "Tutorial" page as an additional sheet (Tab) in the Excel file. That might be a good way to keep it available for new folks.

#11 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

It's been a long time since we last published the "here's how" procedure. Let me see if I can glue in a "Tutorial" page as an additional sheet (Tab) in the Excel file. That might be a good way to keep it available for new folks.

And while you're at it could you also maybe include the meanings or clues indicated by the specific TID and VPID codes? :)

I assume "TID" is for "Transponder Identification?"

And "VPID" is for "Video Packet Identification?"

Thanks for all the great work ...

Edited by HoTat2, 29 January 2011 - 07:02 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:11 PM

And while you're at it could you also maybe include the meanings or clues indicated by the specific TID and VPID codes? :)

I assume "TID" is for "Transponder Identification?"
And "VPID" is for "Video Packet Identification?"

Here is a quick explanation of VPID, lifted from www.tsreader.com/legacy

What are PIDs?

MPEG-2 transmits its data in packets of 188 bytes each. At the start of each packet is a package identifier (or PID) that tells the receiver what to do with the packet. ..........

There are typically four types of PIDs used by satellite receivers. The VPID is the PID for the video stream and the APID is the audio stream. Occasionally, a PCR PID (program clock reference) is used to synchronize the video and audio packets, however, most of the time, this data is embedded into the video stream. The forth data PID is used for data such as the program guide, information about other frequencies that make up the total package etc. This data is called the System Information and uses a PID value of between 0000 and 0014 (hex).

In our tables, the VPID is equivalent to the video signal channel or 'slot' within a given transponder. Of significance to us, VPID 1700 indicates an Inactive Ka channel, while VPID 03AC indicates an Inactive Ku channel. One VPID can be paired with several APID channels to provide different language tracks.

The TID is Table Index Data, a numeric value or range of values which serve as pointer or index into internal tables. TID values typically resolve the host satellite of a given channel. However, one satellite pair (D4S and D9S) share a range of TID's for their Spot Beams so the specific physical host satellite cannot be identified. In the case of a second satellite pair (D10 and D12) the D12 Spot Beam TID's are unknown at this time, so once again the specific physical host satellite cannot be identified.

It is a tough learning curve, just keep on reading!

#13 OFFLINE   mraba

mraba

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:47 PM

I bought a Panasonic DMR, BS-850, and I am trying to hook it up to my directv. It doesn't have an HDMI in, so I will get less than HDTV if I go that route. But there is a coaxial in on the unit. Can somehow hook it up directly? Thanks for your help

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:38 PM

I bought a Panasonic DMR, BS-850, and I am trying to hook it up to my directv. It doesn't have an HDMI in, so I will get less than HDTV if I go that route. But there is a coaxial in on the unit. Can somehow hook it up directly? Thanks for your help

:welcome_s

However you are posting your question in the wrong thread. This one is for notices, questions, and issues pertaining to satellite transponder mapping.

Try submitting your question to the DirecTV General Discussion forum here;

http://www.dbstalk.c...isplay.php?f=12

Or maybe better the DirecTV HD receiver forum here;

http://www.dbstalk.c...splay.php?f=112

Good luck ...

#15 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:45 PM

Woot woot, got a 97 signal strength on my LiL transponder!
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#16 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:45 PM

Having your HD LIL's register from a signal strength of 95 to 100 is exactly where you want it to be.

Now go back and double check your signal strength for CONUS signals that are important to you - perhaps channels like ESPN, Discovery HD, etc.

Once you nail in key HD CONUS channels and your key HD LIL channels, you are home free. Looking at the results, it truly is worth the effort, isn't it?

#17 OFFLINE   vachief

vachief

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:54 PM

Which satellite are the NFL Sunday Ticket HD channels usually on? I don't see the data in the guide, and all of the channels in the 700s seem to read "inactive Ka" or "inactive Ku". What does that mean?

#18 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:45 PM

Which satellite are the NFL Sunday Ticket HD channels usually on? I don't see the data in the guide, and all of the channels in the 700s seem to read "inactive Ka" or "inactive Ku". What does that mean?

The NFL channels are not listing in the 1/26/11 TPN Map because on 1/26/11, there were no NFL channels alive at that time; that is why you don't see them listed.

Remember, each TPN Map we publish is just a snapshot in time. So I went back to the 10/10/10 TPN Map, when the NFL channels were being used and brought back a snippet from that 10/10/10 map as an Excel attachment for you. You will get a sense of the spread of channel assignments across satellites and TPNs.

A big caveat for you: the snippet shows where those channels were assigned on that specific past October weekend - but we don't know in advance, what assignments the DIRECTV engineers will make on any given NFL weekend in the future.

The "inactive Ku" or "inactive Ka" notations are simply telling you that these channels are in the database alright, but they have not been assigned to any satellite or TPN at that moment in time. They are not assigned and are not activated. Said another way, these are sort of 'administratively parked' channels, not in service. A good example: in the sample Excel attached, notice that channels 716, 717 and 718 were not used that weekend; they all showed up as "inactive".

Edited by gct, 20 February 2011 - 11:51 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:55 PM

Closing this thread. Please see the new TPN Map thread with data of 2/23/11!

spam firewall