Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Switching Dish to SL3

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   19gramps

19gramps

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:47 PM

I have looked through the threads but can't find specific info on my situation.

I have a Slimline 5 dish with three HD receivers located 1 upstairs, 1 on main floor & 1 in the basement. The wiring is all run on the outside of the roof and then drilled into the 3 rooms directly.

I went to replace 2 of the receivers with 2 HR24 DVR's.

Can I simply replace my SL5 dish with a "SLIMLINE HD DISH KA/KU 3 LNBs / NEW SWM / MRV". LNB is a DTV SL3S4R2-01. Power Inserter & 8-way Splitter.

Am I correct in understanding that I would need 5 wires from the dish, or is the splitter used inside?

I think I read in one of the threads that with the power inverter I only need one line to the DVR rather than 2, but I couldn't find more info.

Thanks very much for any help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,999 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

You could just replace the LNB and use the existing dish (you probably won't even need to realign it). The power inserter should be located inside and the splitter can be also, so you would only need one wire from the dish.

#3 OFFLINE   19gramps

19gramps

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:17 PM

This question probably sounds really dumb, because it sounds dumb to me, but does your answer mean that I can just run one of the existing lines into the inserter and splitter, then into a receiver and they will all work, or do I need additional wires coming out of the splitter to each receiver?

Thank you

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,033 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

You would put the SWiM LNB on the dish. It has one coax connector which would run to a splitter. From the splitter, you connect the three coax that are currently run to the three rooms. Whichever coax is connected to the power passing port on the splitter you put the power inserter on at the tv location.

So, one coax from LNB to splitter. One coax from power passing port of splitter to power inserter, then from PI to receiver. Coax from each of the other ports to the other receivers.

Assuming your current coax from the dish goes to a ground block someplace before the coax goes inside the house, you can put the splitter at that location. Make sure you get the correct green-label splitter for DirecTV use.

#5 OFFLINE   19gramps

19gramps

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:54 PM

Assuming your current coax from the dish goes to a ground block someplace before the coax goes inside the house, you can put the splitter at that location. Make sure you get the correct green-label splitter for DirecTV use.

Thanks very much that really made it easy to understand.

Edited by 19gramps, 29 January 2011 - 01:55 PM.
Realized my next question was already answered.

#6 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

Keep in mind if you switch from a 5lnb to a 3lnb, you may lose your SD locals depending on the market, a handful of religious and music channels.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,033 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:36 PM

Keep in mind if you switch from a 5lnb to a 3lnb, you may lose your SD locals depending on the market, a handful of religious and music channels.

True. You can get a SWiM 5LNB assembly which gives you the SWM conversion while still supporting the 119 orbital slot. Here's a link to one source.

http://www.solidsign...CTV Dishes&sku=

Protected By... spam firewall...And...