Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SL3 SWM LNB Long Distance Setup Help

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gable74

gable74

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:19 PM

Hello,
I have some what of an odd setup and am looking for some help please. I have an SL3 SWiM LNB dish mounted on the garage because there is no clear line of site on the house. I have 2 lines (about 140 linear feet each)of RG6 QS coax running through conduit underground between the house and the garage. Inside the house I have a 21v P.I and an SWS8 splitter. I have three HD DVRs that i need to operate off of this setup. The two DVRs in the house (about 30' from the SWS8) both work fine. The DVR in the garage (again, about 140 linear feet away) will not get a SAT signal. I assume because the total distance round trip from the SWM LNB to the last DVR is almost 300 linear feet. Is there an easier way to make this work without installing another dish? Can I split the one cable coming from the SWM LNB at the garage to feed the DVR out there or do i need it to come all the way to the house and interface with the P.I and the SWS8? I am attaching a rude example JPG of my setup to try and give a more clear example of what I have. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Attached Thumbnails

• sat_setup.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

Hello,
I have some what of an odd setup and am looking for some help please. I have an SL3 SWiM LNB dish mounted on the garage because there is no clear line of site on the house. I have 2 lines (about 140 linear feet each)of RG6 QS coax running through conduit underground between the house and the garage. Inside the house I have a 21v P.I and an SWS8 splitter. I have three HD DVRs that i need to operate off of this setup. The two DVRs in the house (about 30' from the SWS8) both work fine. The DVR in the garage (again, about 140 linear feet away) will not get a SAT signal. I assume because the total distance round trip from the SWM LNB to the last DVR is almost 300 linear feet. Is there an easier way to make this work without installing another dish? Can I split the one cable coming from the SWM LNB at the garage to feed the DVR out there or do i need it to come all the way to the house and interface with the P.I and the SWS8? I am attaching a rude example JPG of my setup to try and give a more clear example of what I have. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Put a 2 way splitter on the garage near the dish. Attach the garage dvr to the power inserter and locate it behind the dvr in the garage. Connect the ODU side of the power inserter to the power passing port on the two way splitter.

Attatch the line to the house to the other port on the two way splitter.

Replace the 8 way splitter in the house with either a splitter with the minimum number of outputs to feed what you are using in the house. 8 Ways are very lossy. If you can get by with a two or three or four way, do that. If you only have one unit in your house, dont use a splitter at all at the house. You can mount the garage two way splitter outside or inside, preferrably inside right by the power inserter.

Optionally, you can also keep the power inserter in the house, although powering from the garage will give you better voltage to the dish since its a lot shorter run.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   sungam

sungam

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

Yes you can split the cable in the garage (1x2) for that receiver and then again in the house for the receivers there. Switching to a 1x4 splitter in the house would probably also do the trick, since with the 1x8 around 5/8ths of you signal is being wasted by the unused splitter outputs. If you split in the garage, you should certainly change to a 1x2 or 1x4 in the house, since the splitter in the house will only be getting half the signal it does now.

See the information on splitters here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=186663

Just be sure to maintain the DC path from the PI to the dish.

#4 OFFLINE   gable74

gable74

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:32 AM

Thanks,
Even not using the SWS8 in the house at all and coming directly out of the P.I. to the garage receiver would not get a signal either. I did continuity and voltage tests through the line so I know there are no breaks. I am going to try the 2 way splitter in the garage and the 4 way in the house and see if I have any luck. Thanks for the input.

Jimmie

EDIT****
Forgot to ask if DECA is still going to work in this configuration? With the 2way splitter in the garage.

Edited by gable74, 30 January 2011 - 09:01 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:48 AM

You're simply running through too much coax to get a signal at the end.
These are close to the max, and even these may be pushing it too far for you:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1290621499
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:13 PM

What about using an amplifier? Would that work in this situation?

http://www.sonorades...rget=homeowners
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

What about using an amplifier? Would that work in this situation?

http://www.sonorades...rget=homeowners

Sure, but why add an amp, when the "better" thing would be to re-wire more directly?
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

I'm all for that, I don't like adding non-D* provided gear, I just thought either way the OP was at the max.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#9 OFFLINE   gable74

gable74

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

Cool diagram Oldschool....

Which one of these would work best? And is that amplifier in the right place?

Posted Image

#10 ONLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

Top one, and yes. If that is really your setup (two boxes in the house) use a 2 way splitter not a 4 way.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#11 OFFLINE   gable74

gable74

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

Oops forgot to mention that one of those outputs on the 4 way splitter in the house is needed for the DECA box.

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:26 PM

Cool diagram Oldschool....

Which one of these would work best? And is that amplifier in the right place?

Posted Image

If you changed the top one to two 2-ways, you're be at about the max with the receivers in the house getting about -60 dBm. Sonora [the amp maker] calls out -62 dBm min.
The need for the DECA port, kind of kills this, as there simply isn't a way to get another port without having too much loss.
If you went with the lower one, the house receivers would also be at -62 dBm, but the leg through the amp would be -58 dBm.
If I were to go with the lower, I'd move the amp to before the first splitter to boost the power to the house receivers too. The garage would still be the same.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   gable74

gable74

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

okay....then how about which one of these? I think I am just enjoying making the diagrams now LOL.

Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

Will DECA still work at these lengths, with an amp?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

Will DECA still work at these lengths, with an amp?

With the right amp, which is two way, yes and the DECA losses are so much less than the SWiM are.
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   Tech_1438

Tech_1438

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:09 PM

Cool Diagrams.

What tool are you using to make them?

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:11 PM

Cool Diagrams.

What tool are you using to make them?

He started with one of mine made in photoshop.
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,962 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:27 PM

It might not make a difference in this case, but it is usually better to place the amplifier before a long length of cable (in the garage) instead of after (in the house).

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

It might not make a difference in this case, but it is usually better to place the amplifier before a long length of cable (in the garage) instead of after (in the house).

"BUT", why waste the amplified signal to the garage, where it isn't needed, and not use all of it on the long run?
Now to follow what you're trying to say: adding it on the output of the splitter before the long run would require the output to be about -22 dBm.
I really doubt the noise figure is important here on such a noisy system anyway.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall