Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

922 resets every morning

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nhguy

nhguy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

Hi,
My 922 resets itself everymorning. I turn on the Tv and get a msg that the STB is setting up and then it's fine for the day, or I get nothing and have to umplug from the wall. This is a replacement and has the same problem as the first one ( which was only two weeks old). The current reciever worked fine for a few days, but now has developed the same symptoms. It is connected to a Revue, that thinks its a 722. Any thoughts/insight would be appreciated

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "resets"...

All of the Dish receivers perform a nightly update, which consists of many things including an EPG data refresh.

You can change the time when this occurs... but unless you sit in front of your receiver and cancel it, then even if you leave your receiver on it will eventually reboot and perform the nightly update.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   nhguy

nhguy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

What I mean is when enter I the room, the reciever "tv1" light is lit and the front panel light are lit. It is unresponsive to the on/off button on the remote. when i turn the TV on, on most occasions, I see the Dish Globe logo and the msg "Dish is starting up". infrequently, I will turn the TV on, w/ the reciever in the condition described above, and get a blank screen. Then I need to unplug, and plug back in. After that the TV is fine for the rest of the day, until the next morning. Time in the morning can vary from 5:30 AM to 8:00 AM, but all else is the same.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:42 AM

What time is your nightly update scheduled to occur?

The timing of your error makes it sound (to me) like the receiver is crashing on the nightly reboot... where the reboot itself would be normal, but shouldn't lockup every night.

Do you have any other troubles watching TV?

If it is crashing every night, I would expect other things to be happening during the day too.

#5 OFFLINE   nhguy

nhguy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:47 AM

My updates are scheduled for 3 AM. After I get past the initial problem, which happened again this morning, everything is fine ( so far), until the next morning.

#6 OFFLINE   bgullicksen

bgullicksen

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:31 PM

My 922 has been doing the same thing, except usually at night. I received a replacement a week ago and it does the same thing. Typically I start to see guide and menu performance begin to slow down. Then whether recording, playing back a recording or watching live tv, my video will freeze, audio will continue for a few seconds and then the box becomes 100% unresponsive. Nothing on the remote or front panel work.

Letting the box sit for 2 - 3 minutes this way and then it will do a reset (just like pressing the red reset button) and then everything will be fine for 22 - 24 hours and the process happens again. This has been happening to me usually between 8:00PM - 10:00PM. If I preemptively press the red reset button my self at 7:00PM them the box does not freeze up and I get my nightly recordings, etc. My box does it's update at 3:00AM as well.

I called Dish support and they were baffled and sent a tech to my house yesterday. He replaced some of the connectors on the cable feeding my 922 but that didn't help. The unit still reset itself. Dish doesn't seem to have a clue what is going on.

I never had this problem before about 3 weeks ago, unless it was happening during the day when no one is using the box. I don't know if it was introduced with the latest software update S111 on 12/27. I'm now waiting for a second replacement box but I'm not very confident that will solve the problem either.

-Bill

#7 OFFLINE   nhguy

nhguy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

As I mentioned in my first post, I am on my second box now, so I agree w/ you that a box replacement is suspect. Right now, as long it's first thing in the morning, and doesn't cause any trouble during the rest of the day, I'm tempted to live w/ it.

#8 OFFLINE   bgullicksen

bgullicksen

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:24 PM

I got the second replacement and it is rebooting too. I'm waiting to hear back from a supervisor/installer. He believes the problem is with the latest software update, but want to check a few more things.

I believe it is close to a 24 hour cycle before it reboots. Mine was always interrupting recordings as we record mostly during primetime so I just reboot the box myself every night when I get home to prevent losing recordings. Hopefully the next software update will fix it. Good luck with yours!

-Bill

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:34 PM

Next questions off the top of my head would be...

Is the receiver in a well-ventilated area? Overheating could lead to reboots.

Also check your power and SAT connections. Poor power (brownouts or surges) can lead to reboots... also loss of signal (intermittent) can cause reboots sometimes as well. I have seen, for example, times during heavy storms where loss of signal causes a reboot. Then again, it could have been an electrical surge during the storm too... hard to tell in those cases.

#10 OFFLINE   nhguy

nhguy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:03 AM

the box is not in an enclosed space and has nothing blocking airflow. The installer checked all the connections when he replaced the first 922. The box needs to be reset every morning, regardless of weather, there may snow or ice accumulation on the dish, but I'd rather press the red button, then go up on the roof to check it out.

Edited by nhguy, 03 February 2011 - 09:51 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   rice0209

rice0209

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:26 PM

I had the same problem 3 weeks ago too. Called Dish, they didn't know what to do. We did some tests and resets. They sent me a new box. It does the exact same thing.

I have changed my update time a couple times with no effect. Once it does the 3 am update, it goes into hibernation.

This past week i noticed when i turn it on and get the blank screen, i can access the guide and dvr menu, but when i select a channel or recording, i do not get playback (no audio or video).

One time, it came back to life after sitting there for 20 or so minutes.

Sometimes, it will sit there, and then spontaneously reboot.

As others have said, after a reboot, it works fine, but then i wake up the next morning and its stuck again. I have even let it sit all day and it is still struggling.

I am guess some kind of corrupt software update? This is the second unit i have had in a month that have had this problem, and both units functioned perfectly after reboot. The tech told me to unplug to reset and not use the front red button. Tried it both ways, same problems.

#12 OFFLINE   rice0209

rice0209

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:29 PM

Next questions off the top of my head would be...

Is the receiver in a well-ventilated area? Overheating could lead to reboots.

Also check your power and SAT connections. Poor power (brownouts or surges) can lead to reboots... also loss of signal (intermittent) can cause reboots sometimes as well. I have seen, for example, times during heavy storms where loss of signal causes a reboot. Then again, it could have been an electrical surge during the storm too... hard to tell in those cases.

Mine is well ventilated and also hooked to a UPS system. No storms recently, reception has been strong.

This literally seems like an out of the blue situation which makes me think that maybe a certain software update is affecting certain units. Who knows though. Dish usually figures these things out over time. Sucks for the time being. Resetting your box daily cannot be good on it.

I do remember one time i started "checking the switch" and after doing that twice, things started to come back online. Its almost like the video/audio goes into hibernation while the rest of the 822 is operating.

#13 OFFLINE   TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network

Legend

• DISH Representative
  • 132 posts
  • LocationLittleton, CO

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:20 PM

It definitely sounds like a software issue rather than hardware due to the replacements. If the people having the issue could get me the software version from their 922 I will let our operations team know of the issue.

Tommy Faust
Social Media Representative
Sunday-Wednesday 6:00a-5:00p (MST)

#14 OFFLINE   nhguy

nhguy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

My software, per the reciever info screen, is S111 XACB. Just so you know, somebody else on the dishsupport.com forum is experiencing the same problem. I do have a Revue hooked up also, but that should not make a difference.

#15 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:05 PM

I experienced my first auto reboot last Sunday evening. It happened while recording Masterpiece Theater off PBS via satellite. My software is S111 and I too have a Revue connected. The Daily Schedule history shows Stopped: By STB reboot, Timer started 7:59pm, recording started 7:59pm, Time of reboot 9:13pm.

I'm just glad that was the only timer, I caught it in the act and the program repeated later that night.

My 922 is in a cabinet with open front and exhaust fan behind it. The temps showing are low 111, avg 123 and max 132. The max by the way is what it was within less than an hour after I first plugged in this refurb.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#16 OFFLINE   chuckiemess

chuckiemess

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:29 AM

I just had the installer back. He put me on my 3rd 922. I started with 111 and was at 113 before he replaced it. The first receiver would be a vegetable every morning. The remotes would not work unless unlinked and re-linked. The second receiver had the same issue until the software was updated to 113. Now the issue is that the 922 needs to be reset 1-3 times per day. Sometimes the first reboot does not work and needs to be done again.

1 month or so on dish, and so far had more problems than 3 years on directv ....

#17 OFFLINE   nhguy

nhguy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:28 PM

Sorry to hear that, So far, mine still needs it's red button pushed once in the morning, then behaves itself for the rest of the day.

#18 OFFLINE   Ted M

Ted M

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:01 AM

I just started with DISH four days ago, after being with DTV for 15 years.

My 922 needs to be reset every morning also. The latest software was downloaded by the installer.

What a pain. I suppose any Timers set to record won't work either. Useless if we go away.

I also have a 722, and it works fine.

Ted

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:48 PM

I do have some problems from time to time with my 922... but honestly haven't had the reset-every-day problem that some are having.

I have had times that I needed to reset the receiver... so I know it happens. I wonder if there are environmental issues in play that are worse for some than for others?

#20 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:30 AM

why can't dish fix it once and forever?:confused:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...