Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

922 resets every morning

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Cdog1981

Cdog1981

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:11 PM

It's not dish it has to do with the power it's getting I had the same problem for a couple of weeks and changed everything but I work for a electric company and I got to thinking and so I finally plugged the 922 into another separate outlet had haven't had the problem since

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   rice0209

rice0209

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

Hi, i have been having this problem for a long time myself (sometime in late janurary or early february). I have already had one replacement and it did the exact same thing. I have called dish 5 or 6 times. After the first replacement, they refused to replace it again, and that was a couple months ago. I called today ready to demand a replacement or i would cancel dish completely as i should not have to pay for equipment that does not work, regardless of their internal issues.

That is when we finally got somewhere this time. I told him about how every morning it needs reset, and that now, it was randomly resetting itself, even during the day when i was watching it. FINALLY, he found the issue in their database. It was under something like "receiver freezes after nightly update when hooked to logitech revue."

Apparently, they have a software issue between the 922 and the revue that causes freeze ups. That makes sense why it happened after i got my replacement, even since they have had software updates since.

I have unplugged my revue and will see what happens tonight after the update. Sadly, my receiver has reset twice while watching a VOD AFTER i unplugged from the revue. I am worried now that i might have errors in my software because of all the random resets over the past 3 months (at least once a day, sometimes 2 or 3).

Lately, my receiver won't even come out of the update without resetting multiple times on its own. I have turned the tv on a couple times and watched it cycle, over and over, and I know that can't be good on the unit.

I am hoping that at least, the nightly freeze will be done after tonight. Might still have software damage that causes resets during the day, but just getting out of the nightly update error free would be a success and keep my wife off my back.

Also, i did find a trick to resetting the unit without unplugging or hitting the red reset.

If your situation is like mine, your guide and dvr buttons should still work. I can navigate my guide, but can't select a program. What you can do though, is go into your dvr, pick any recorded show and start it over. It will then take you to a black screen but the header will be working. At that point, you can channel up or down a couple times and the header will reflect the channel change. After a couple channel changes, hit your power button. On mine, this works. The yellow light comes on (Green and blue lights were already on) and picture should follow shortly with audio (might need to change channel one more time) and then it works just like normal until the next night when it freezes.

This has to be better on the unit then constantly resetting it. Maybe i am wrong. It does take a lot less time then waiting for the unit to completely cycle, check the dish signal, etc.

Good luck!

#23 OFFLINE   rice0209

rice0209

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:47 PM

oh yeah, by the way, he said they have no ETA on the software fix for this problem. I will let everyone know if unplugging the revue stops the nightly freezes.

#24 OFFLINE   rice0209

rice0209

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:40 AM

Update:

First morning since I unplugged my Logitech Revue completely from my 922/TV and NO FREEZING and NO RESETS so far.

The 922 was ready to go, in the stand by mode and turned on without a problem. No missing audio/video, no startup screen cycling, and nothing frozen.

Sure it sucks that my $180 Revue is now sitting worthless in my entertainment stand, but its better than making my $200ish receiver almost worthless as well. Dish better get this fixed soon. Its been 3.5 months since this problem appeared. For such a large cross promotion between google tv, logitech, and Dish, you would think they would be a little more driven to make their most technologically advanced receiver work with google TV.

#25 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:54 AM

Not exactly worthless. You can plug directly in to your TV or AVR.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#26 OFFLINE   rice0209

rice0209

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:40 PM

lol, you are right, not completely worthless. Now i can switch inputs every time i want to use my google tv AND not have it integrated with my dvr.

I like the revue overall, but mostly as an entertainment piece for groups of people. Its great for sharing you tube videos or watching VOD through amazon and netflix, but its not that good for browsing the internet. The keyboard is better than most, but its still more difficult to navigate website without switching over to a stand alone mouse, which again takes away from the convenience of this device.

The beauty and convenience of having google tv on stand by was great and is gone until Dish figures this out.

#27 OFFLINE   rice0209

rice0209

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:25 AM

5th day since I unplugged the revue completely and I have had 5 days without issue with the 922. For now, its cured I believe. The wife is much happier that she doesn't have to fuss with the unit every morning just to watch tv as she rushes around getting our daughter ready.

#28 OFFLINE   akble

akble

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:05 AM

At Team Summit - the Dish Dealer meetings - they specifically told us the 922 and Google Revue were NOT compatible and the to use the 722 in installs with Google

#29 OFFLINE   billyfury

billyfury

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

This has been happening to my 922 for months. the unit has been replaced 3x. Each time it happens at the same time even with the new unit. Techs have been here 3x. I have called dish perhaps 20 times on this. Unit is plugged directly into the wall. It is in open air not a cabinet. I do NOT have a logitec revue. The update happens every night at 3 am. The unit freezes, is unresponsive to the remote, and eventually reboots itself every night at 6:05 pm. Every night at 6:05. The process takes about 5 minutes. During daylight saving time happens 7:05pm. I have given up.

#30 OFFLINE   garygaryj

garygaryj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

Your story is intriguing and upsetting, and I'm sorry for your problems with your 922.

While the aspects about resetting at 6:05 PM / 7:05 PM every night would seem to indicate something about that unit -- I'm noting that it happens approx. 15 hours after the overnight Update -- still, I have some questions or really suggestions, if you haven't tried these things. They may not improve your situation, but may help eliminate some possible causes, and certainly would yield more information about the symptoms.

- Have you tried to unplug from AC and from satellite where you normally have it, and temporarily plug it into AC power from another power segment of the home, and left it there for a day, to see if the power cycling happens at the same evening hour? And another idea (although I wouldn't recommend a regular use of this... just temporary) tried to connect the power through a heavy-duty AC 3-prong extension cord to another home power segment, while still having the satellite connection to the 922.

- Have you tried to change the time of the Update? (Settings > 2 icons down > 1 icon to the right > and change it to a different time? Maybe set it 2 hours later at 5 AM, and see if the reset happens at 6:05 PM, or at 8:05 PM? And then maybe set it to exactly the normal reset time of 6:05 PM, and see if you only get one reset per day at that time?

- Have you tried to check your coax connections all the way back to the Dish, and checked that there are good solid connections, and not much splicing other than a grounding pass-through?

- Have you tried to look at the Settings > Down 4 icons > Diagnostics > View Counters, and checked the high and low temperature settings as well as the average temperature? You have to page down to near the bottom of the list to see that. From what I can tell, an average temp between 110 - 120 F when it is open air would be a normal temp.

Well, you may have have done some of this - but if not, it would be interesting to see what results you got from these tests. And it would give you some additional information to give Dish when you replace again, although normally, the odds are very much against getting a number of bad 922's in a row.

I'm not a pro - just a fellow traveler.

PS: Just thought to add that if there is a Power Quality issue coming from the power company source - depending on where you get your power, you may be able to put in a trouble ticket with them, and ask if they can come out and do a power quality test in your home - esp. at the location where you have your 922 plugged-in, and describe to them the situation of having 3 units in a row that are malfunctioning, and it is against the odds, and points to perhaps some other issue. They might be nice and come out with a fancy power meter to test it. Could eliminate a potential source of the problem, even if they find nothing unusual. It would especially be awesome to see if they would test it at 6:05 PM, when you get your non-programmed reset.

Edited by garygaryj, 17 January 2012 - 11:05 PM.
Added PS

#31 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 878 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

Does anyone know how many 922 are currently in use. With all these reports of oddities and failures it would be interesting to put a percentage to the units in homes.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#32 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:35 AM

Less than 1% of the number of 722/722k receivers.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#33 OFFLINE   garygaryj

garygaryj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:07 AM

Just wondering - what is the source for such data. (Don't take this as a criticism at all. Just wanting to dig into how we might know some statistics like this.)

#34 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 878 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

Just wondering - what is the source for such data. (Don't take this as a criticism at all. Just wanting to dig into how we might know some statistics like this.)

+1
Thank you and
Best of luck

#35 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:13 AM

It was from a CES conversation when I asked about moving Hopper features to the 922 and the delayed software update. The answer involved allocation of resources to the next big thing (my words) and the boxes used by the most subscribers, with a couple ballpark figures mentioned. I can't verify them, and Dish doesn't reveal such numbers even for broad categories like SD vs HD, so I'm leaving it at that. The numbers were more lopsided than I expected, but given the 922's newness, lack of promotion, and upgrade fee combined with higher monthly fees, they seem possible.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#36 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:46 AM

Does anyone know how many 922 are currently in use. With all these reports of oddities and failures it would be interesting to put a percentage to the units in homes.

Add one more 922 in use,and I like it!;):D

Actually the proper name would be VIP922/wMT2.;)

spam firewall