Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Amazon VOD - Free with Prime?

signal loss

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ozonedan

ozonedan

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:01 AM

It's an "ok" start, however I would have expected a bit more to be available at the start.

Amazon's issues are not only it's streaming library, but also getting the VOD client out to more devices. Many do have it, but some prominent device makers don't have it on their machines yet like the PS3(not sure about XBox), Samsung and LG BD players. LG is "supposed" to have it on their new line of BD players(BD6xx line), however it is NOT on the players out of the box(the LG app store opens Friday so perhaps this will change). Samsung has it on some TV's via the Yahoo widget but the widgets are exclusive to only some of their TVs and none of their BD players.

There is another problem with Amazon Prime Instant View. You cannot put the movies/TV programs into your VOD folder. There is no "button" that allows that. Even though their site mentions being able to watch programs "later", it can't be done. The only things that go into your VOD folder are purchases or rentals. It needs to be set up like Netflix Instant Queue.

I have written to Amazon twice about this and get a response that does not answer the question. It is mostly a canned response.
If it won't fit force it.
If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:36 AM

There is another problem with Amazon Prime Instant View. You cannot put the movies/TV programs into your VOD folder. There is no "button" that allows that. Even though their site mentions being able to watch programs "later", it can't be done. The only things that go into your VOD folder are purchases or rentals. It needs to be set up like Netflix Instant Queue.

I have written to Amazon twice about this and get a response that does not answer the question. It is mostly a canned response.

I agree this is a big drawback to Amazon streaming. I don't want to search for something to watch while on my TV. I want to do my searching on the PC, then just have the short list that I've already selected when I go to the TV.

We'll see if they improve things in the future. Otherwise, I'll still be going to Netflix first. I'll only look at Amazon if I can't find it on Netflix streaming and don't want to wait for the DVD.
DogLover

My Setup

#23 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:52 AM

Is anyone using the Amazon streaming with a Panny vt25? I have streamed a few movies and can not seem to get the FF, Rew, Pause buttons to work.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#24 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 160 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:49 AM

Amazon Instant Videos which are free for prime customers are now available for viewing via Media Share on a Directv dvr and if you have the PlayOn Media Server. PlayOn responded to user requests to add this support within 2 weeks. Excellent service on their part IMO. I used it for the first time today and it worked well.

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H21 + AM21

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

spam firewall