Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ESPN removes HD branding

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mcrutland

mcrutland

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:13 PM

Has anyone noticed that ESPN has removed the HD branding from its channels? This is most noticeable with the logo in the bottom corner. Looks like HD is on its way to being the norm.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:10 PM

Well, with way more than half the US households incapable of viewing HD yet, I would say the removal of the HD bug is a tad premature. Mebbe it's HD that's on the way out. :lol:

Seems the NBC tag "In Living Color" was around for a long, long time.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,225 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:21 AM

Well, with way more than half the US households incapable of viewing HD yet, I would say the removal of the HD bug is a tad premature. Mebbe it's HD that's on the way out. :lol:

That statement seems a little outdated.

Article from the Washington Business Journal (May, 2010) states 2/3 of US Households own at least 1 HDTV

Two-thirds of U.S. households now own a high-definition television, and more Americans plan to buy one in the coming months, according to a report from the Consumer Electronics Association.
The Arlington-based group says video products continue to be the top consumer electronics device U.S. consumers own, with 65 percent of U.S. homes now owning at least one HDTV set, up 13 percent from a year ago. Consumers are also buying HDTVs as secondary sets. The average household now has 1.8 high-definition televisions, up from 1.5 percent a year ago.

Read more: HDTV penetration reaches 65% | Washington Business Journal

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#4 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,076 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:57 AM

Article from the Washington Business Journal (May, 2010) states 2/3 of US Households own at least 1 HDTV

But watching analog cable on it doesn't count. :lol:

#5 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:04 AM

Having an HD capable set does not mean you receive HD service, or that you receive it from all of your chosen sources.

I get it from discs and I get some OTA, but none via Dish. Not willing to change the box and pay the associated DVR and other fees.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#6 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Nick
Well, with way more than half the US households incapable of viewing HD yet, I would say the removal of the HD bug is a tad premature.

That statement seems a little outdated.

For the majority of US households, owning an HD-capable tv and receiving HD programming are two different things. You certainly must have been aware of that when you posted.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#7 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:38 PM

For the majority of US households, owning an HD-capable tv and receiving HD programming are two different things. You certainly must have been aware of that when you posted.

I find it very hard to believe that the majority of households in the USA are incapable of receiving HD programming. If we really want to split hairs almost every household in the US is fully capable of receiving HD programming thanks to satellite. I may be willing to accept that the majority of US households choose not subscribe to HD services (I know quite a few people who subscribe to cable and/or satellite but are quite content with SD) but by no means does that mean they are incapable of receiving it.

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,857 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:00 PM

I'm not sure how they tabulate that 2/3 households number anyway... IF they get it by adding up the HDTV sales and then dividing by the number of households... then it could be misleading.

We know some people have multiple HDTVs...so that could skew the average to make it appear that more homes have them.

Just like how the average family has 2.5 kids... and since .5 kids is impossible... it means there are 4 kid families and 0 kid families... and 3 kid families and 1 kid families... so you can't say that most people have kids... it could be that people who have kids typically have more...

Same with HDTV... people who buy one are already more apt to buy another.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#9 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:10 PM

I'm not sure how they tabulate that 2/3 households number anyway... IF they get it by adding up the HDTV sales and then dividing by the number of households... then it could be misleading.

We know some people have multiple HDTVs...so that could skew the average to make it appear that more homes have them.

Normally, I would agree with you but one must assume their numbers are correct based on the following quote:

with 65 percent of U.S. homes now owning at least one HDTV set, up 13 percent from a year ago. Consumers are also buying HDTVs as secondary sets. The average household now has 1.8 high-definition televisions, up from 1.5 percent a year ago.

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:28 PM

Maybe it's a prelude to just simulcasting the HD feed letterboxed on the SD feed.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:27 PM

Maybe it's a prelude to just simulcasting the HD feed letterboxed on the SD feed.

ESPN may stop providing an SD feed and leave it to the distributors to convert the HD to SD. This would save ESPN the cost of satellite distribution of the SD feed and simplify their graphics systems. It will also open up the whole HD screen. No more jamming everything in the SD box.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#12 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,281 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:42 PM

I was just a kid at the time so I don't really trust my time judgement, but I was thinking the same thing. However adoption of tech is a lot faster now, look how much faster DVD reached complete market penetration vs VHS
My Setup

#13 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,296 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:03 PM

Normally, I would agree with you but one must assume their numbers are correct based on the following quote:

Quote:
with 65 percent of U.S. homes now owning at least one HDTV set, up 13 percent from a year ago. Consumers are also buying HDTVs as secondary sets. The average household now has 1.8 high-definition televisions, up from 1.5 percent a year ago.

Ouch! That quote doesn't give me confidence based on mixing numbers with percentages. Such an increase, from 1.5 sets to 1.8 sets average is a 20% increase.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#14 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,076 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:16 PM

ESPN may stop providing an SD feed and leave it to the distributors to convert the HD to SD. This would save ESPN the cost of satellite distribution of the SD feed and simplify their graphics systems. It will also open up the whole HD screen. No more jamming everything in the SD box.

Ooooo, I like that. Set the graphics for the 16:9 picture and be done with it.

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,857 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

That sounds, to me, like they still could have based one conclusion on the other.

The only way to get the 1.8 HDTV per household number would be to divide the total by households... so it isn't clear if they concluded the 65% from that or an independent calculation.

Not saying I doubt your interpretation... but I know some studies have misrepresented themselves at times to push a particular point.

The increase from 1.5 to 1.8 could also be indicative of more people buying a 2nd HDTV than new customers buying a new HDTV.

I have no doubts, though, that HDTV is increasing with time... I just don't know if I believe the 65% number. That seems quite high given the state of our economy...

#16 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:30 PM

[quote name='Stewart Vernon']That sounds, to me, like they still could have based one conclusion on the other.

The only way to get the 1.8 HDTV per household number would be to divide the total by households... so it isn't clear if they concluded the 65% from that or an independent calculation./QUOTE]

Based on the article, I would assume that would be correct

[quote name='Stewart Vernon'] Not saying I doubt your interpretation... but I know some studies have misrepresented themselves at times to push a particular point.

The increase from 1.5 to 1.8 could also be indicative of more people buying a 2nd HDTV than new customers buying a new HDTV.[/QUOTE]

Again based on the article, I would suspect that is part of it.

[quote name='Stewart Vernon']
I have no doubts, though, that HDTV is increasing with time... I just don't know if I believe the 65% number. That seems quite high given the state of our economy...[/QUOTE]

Knowing how long HDTV's have been out there, I would think that 65% sounds rather accurate.

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#17 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:46 PM

People replacing old TV's do not have much choice than to get an HD set. I can not remember the last time I saw a non HD TV set in a store.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,857 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:27 PM

People replacing old TV's do not have much choice than to get an HD set. I can not remember the last time I saw a non HD TV set in a store.

True...

But I have a set in my bedroom that is a 32" SDTV from 1995.

My HDTV in my main room died and had to be replaced... but the older bedroom TV is still ticking.

I suspect there are lots of people in a similar boat... having a good old TV that is still running strong.

#19 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:32 AM

I'm sure there were people who owned B&W sets, particularly as second and third and so on sets well into the 70s and even the early 80s. But the point is that all networks were showing 100% of their content in color by the mid to late 60s. All that was in B&W by then was reruns.

Similarly today everything on the major networks is in HD. Not only the OTA networks, but the top 20 to 40 "cable" channels as well.

So "ESPN & ESPN HD" is, and should, go the way of "NBC, In Living Color".

Now, lets talk about HD Net. Pretty much a channel designed to show off HD, back when there was little HD content. Now say there was a "Color Net" in 1960. How long before that becomes stupid?

#20 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:42 AM

True...

But I have a set in my bedroom that is a 32" SDTV from 1995.

My HDTV in my main room died and had to be replaced... but the older bedroom TV is still ticking.

I suspect there are lots of people in a similar boat... having a good old TV that is still running strong.

There are still a lot of people using CRTs with converter boxes too. Some by choice since they prefer CRTs, others by economics. It was a lot easier to buy a converter box with a coupon for $50 than to spend $500 or more for a new TV. They'll stay with that until it dies. By then, newer sets may be more affordable for those on fixed incomes.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...