Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OH NO!!!! LNBS still bad.....

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:58 PM

now the eagle aspens are crapping out....damnit thougt we could install a descent system already, aparently direct just does not care.

There is still some debate wether this is h24 receiver related i guess yet and not actually the lnbs....

Would be nice if direct made stuff that worked...

Going to see if i can work for a dish dealer i guess, no other choice as temps just went below -10F and 3 customers called the office today with searching signals....

The worst is when i take out a working dishnetwork system and put in a non working directv system.....man those people are pissed!!! and it always craps out after the 24 hour free cancel period......

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:02 PM

Maybe it's the installation and not the actual hardware. I haven't seen failures to the level that you claim.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#3 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:12 PM

Maybe it's the installation and not the actual hardware. I haven't seen failures to the level that you claim.

Not another bashing thread, please!
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:27 PM

Not another bashing thread, please!

You do have to wonder a bit with: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=189531
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

Oh I've been keeping up with it VOS. :lol:

I was just hoping this thread might be an actual discussion. I have a legacy Eagle Aspen working fine and it's 10 degrees outside. (I know it's not a SWM LNB, just trying to break the ice so to speak.)
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#6 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:31 PM

now the eagle aspens are crapping out....damnit thougt we could install a descent system already, aparently direct just does not care.

There is still some debate wether this is h24 receiver related i guess yet and not actually the lnbs....

Would be nice if direct made stuff that worked...

Going to see if i can work for a dish dealer i guess, no other choice as temps just went below -10F and 3 customers called the office today with searching signals....

The worst is when i take out a working dishnetwork system and put in a non working directv system.....man those people are pissed!!! and it always craps out after the 24 hour free cancel period......

It is not just temps that cause problems. Water in a fitting, atmospheric conditions, broken (cold) cable. Every try cutting a fitting when the cable is cold? Could the tech have missed tightening a bolt while hanging from a ladder in a snow storm, in the dark?

Fix it in the spring. It probably is the LNB.

Joe

#7 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:32 PM

Ive got an Eagle Aspen, and my signals are in the high 90's when it is 5 degrees outside...must be something else.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#8 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:37 PM

It is not just temps that cause problems. Water in a fitting, atmospheric conditions, broken (cold) cable. Every try cutting a fitting when the cable is cold? Could the tech have missed tightening a bolt while hanging from a ladder in a snow storm, in the dark?

Fix it in the spring. It probably is the LNB.

Joe

smack it with your LOS shotgun, will clear it all up.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#9 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:02 PM

smack it with your LOS shotgun, will clear it all up.

It is all in the timing. There is a season for blasting LOS and a season for letting the snow break down the trees. Now is not the time for shooting. Now is the time for taking a hatchet to cut bark rings in LOS blocking trees.

And, yes, sometimes just smacking an LNB gets it going again. Shifting the LNB in the arm to get it to work implies a defective fitting. Tapping on the arm to fix it indicates a crappy & uncooperative LNB.

Deer season is the best time for LOS clearing.......we are professionals.

Joe

#10 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:43 AM

Ive got an Eagle Aspen, and my signals are in the high 90's when it is 5 degrees outside...must be something else.

same with me ,last week temps were well below zero, and we had 3 snow storms and i have no issues at all:D
Jimmy

#11 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:51 AM

um ok, i never said all eagles are now bad....

we just put in over 40 eagles with absolutley no issues at all. I was hoping we could actually install something that worked...

We had 3 out of 4 wnc swm lnbs bad for the last 2 months out of des moines IA dsi warehouse.

The two that just called in with no signal on all 4 HD boxes worked for 2 days, went below zero and bam, no signal.

If it was water or a fitting or something else then why did a new lnb fix the problem??

Im actually getting tired of explaining this with responses of "maybe its not the lnb". Already went over this many times. They are on every job, not just mine. Ive rewired two houses twice all with solid copper everywhere, same issue. Its not the install.

We have had bad lnbs since Nov

And for the people out of the dealer 90 day warranty, directv is charging the customers to come change these out along with charging for the lnb itself. Its down right bad business practice.

#12 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:54 AM

better start investigating, its happening in chicago, minneapolis, sioux falls,

we have had 50 of our customers call in and talk to direct cust service and tell them they have bad lnbs, everyone CSR claims they have never heard of such an issue....LOL ya didnt they log those 50 phone calls???

And as always its you same ones that reply with ABSOLUTLY no help or intelligence or info on the matter at hand.

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:02 AM

And as always its you same ones that reply with ABSOLUTLY no help or intelligence or info on the matter at hand.

Watch it, as your posts have shown you aren't the brightest bulb either.

Can an LNB be bad? sure
Can a batch of LNBs be bad? again sure, as we've seen this before.
Can both manufactures be sending out defective LNBs? Highly unlikely.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:08 AM

better start investigating, its happening in chicago, minneapolis, sioux falls,

we have had 50 of our customers call in and talk to direct cust service and tell them they have bad lnbs, everyone CSR claims they have never heard of such an issue....LOL ya didnt they log those 50 phone calls???

With the handful of competent techs here, don't you think they'd notice this issue? Seems like you're alone in this.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#15 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:09 AM

Can an LNB be bad? sure

old school please, i would like some info or at least someone to look into this.

Call DSI yourself if you dont believe it.

the only wnc lnbs we got that worked were in a box that had a huge QA pass tape on them. The rest of them obviously werent tested, and 3 out of 4 were bad.

If you call in and find out there is no lnb issue i would like to know because ive lost over $3000 changing out lnbs, i think i KNOW the issue at hand. If you replace a lnb with another and now the system works and never recieve another phone call, im 99% sure its the lnb. I dont have to be a rocket scientist or even use my 4 year degree to figure this out, its not that complicated.

Have you lost $3000 because of this??

Is DSI sending out bad lnbs non stop? YES!!!!

I dont care what my posts show......im a bright bulb. It is funny how 3 of these guys pick on everything i do or say, yet someone chimes in and proves them all wrong and what i said was right though huh? Maybe they arent so bright as they think? Maybe they arent out in the "real" world.

Come on over and install a system, ill show you the brand new stuff that doesnt work.

#16 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:13 AM

With the handful of competent techs here, don't you think they'd notice this issue? Seems like you're alone in this.

Im not alone. Its happening all over, chicago, minneapolis, sioux falls and elsewhere

I would think they should know about the issue but for some reason they dont.....maybe they are hiding it? work for direct directly? cover up is all they do.

Someone needs to know the issues though.

#17 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:15 AM

Can an LNB be bad? sure

direct is also claiming its the h24's though

there is no answer, and they probrably wont admit anything till they find out for sure the problems fixed.

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:27 AM

direct is also claiming its the h24's though

there is no answer, and they probrably wont admit anything till they find out for sure the problems fixed.

I'll match your 4 year degree with my 30 years of hands on experience any day of the week.

Now to get back to the problem, I have know idea of who you're calling, but I'd bet every CSR you might talk to would have no clue, and why this forum has the membership it does.

While I can understand your frustration, you'll get much better replies/response here if you throttle back on the attacks.

I looked at my SWiM LNBs and there isn't a date code, so it's hard to know the batch they came from.
These have been in the field for a few years, and there were some that had cold weather problems, but it was a couple of years back "IIRC".
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:32 AM

I'll match your 4 year degree with my 30 years of hands on experience any day of the week.

Now to get back to the problem, I have know idea of who you're calling, but I'd bet every CSR you might talk to would have no clue, and why this forum has the membership it does.

While I can understand your frustration, you'll get much better replies/response here if you throttle back on the attacks.

I looked at my SWiM LNBs and there isn't a date code, so it's hard to know the batch they came from.
These have been in the field for a few years, and there were some that had cold weather problems, but it was a couple of years back "IIRC".

yes, most were the wider swim units almost looked like a swm 5. We have had those go bad recently also, not sure how they made it 2 years then crap out but they did.

This is from my wnc escapade if that helps any.

Ok this is getting rediculous. Some one needs to do something.....

Direct is ignoring the lnb problem.

I have over 40 lnb that are bad in cold weather.

they all have the same symptoms.

They all work with the dvr, both tuners. All other HD boxes lose signal or go in and out.

I just put one in yesterday and had intermitent signal on the HD box, while the dvr was fine. The HD box showed no signal on 101, 99, and 103, it did show signal on the swm. it was -30F with windchill and a steady 3 degrees temp. Swapped the lnb all worked great.

Some lnbs have certain transponders that dont appear. Sometimes half the transponders show up 95, the other half zero.

I cant believe direct isnt getting sued or having to pay back service fees to all these people that cant watch tv. I also cant beleive they are still shipping out stuff that doesnt work. They are all coming from DSI in des moines ia

Its also great that i dont get reinbursed for my now 90+ hours of swaping out bad equipment.

This has been a problem with almost all swm lnbs. I have the newest ones that have the orange or brown inside the coax fitting, some lnbs with the normal white, and the older ones that are larger also quit working.

#20 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:38 AM

First off, this is just asking questions, if you read this post WRONG you may think its an attack or something but i just want to ask some questions. thats all. Please dont reply if you dont know.

I have seen NO ONE comment on the new swm lnbs. I have stated a few times that they used to have a white insert on the coax feed, and now they have brown, and just recently it went orange....

1) Does anyone here even acknowlege this? obviously they are chaning things very quickly and making it very easy to tell what batch they came from with different colored inserts.

I cant believe no has commented on this. Does this mean no one here actually has a colored insert?? If all you have is the white ones, then obvioulsy you havent had bad ones.

2) Does anyone here even deal with new equipment? Or just stating stuff from last year or last years stuff.

3) Does anyone install 4 HD boxes on every job because of a mpeg 4 market? Please dont ask what an mpeg4 market is....do a search.

4) Has anyone tried a H23 in place of a H24 with a searching for signal problem?

5) Does anyone here install 15 swm setups a week?

spam firewall