Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OH NO!!!! LNBS still bad.....

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:45 PM

First off, this is just asking questions, if you read this post WRONG you may think its an attack or something but i just want to ask some questions. thats all. Please dont reply if you dont know.

I have seen NO ONE comment on the new swm lnbs. I have stated a few times that they used to have a white insert on the coax feed, and now they have brown, and just recently it went orange....

Dial back the attacks a notch or two and you may actually get some help.

1) Does anyone here even acknowlege this? obviously they are chaning things very quickly and making it very easy to tell what batch they came from with different colored inserts.

I cant believe no has commented on this. Does this mean no one here actually has a colored insert?? If all you have is the white ones, then obvioulsy you havent had bad ones.

What is the exact model number on the LNB? Example SL3S4NR2-03. Not WNC, E/A, but the model # on the green lable. No current LNBs are anything but DirecTv branded. Now to decode the model #
SL3 = Slimline 3
S = SWiM
4 = not sure
N = No pigtails (wish they would put them back on)
R2 = Revision #2
03 = Mfg code

2) Does anyone here even deal with new equipment? Or just stating stuff from last year or last years stuff.

New stuff fresh off the boat/plane.

3) Does anyone install 4 HD boxes on every job because of a mpeg 4 market? Please dont ask what an mpeg4 market is....do a search.

Not an MP4 market, but do plenty of mixed installs.

4) Has anyone tried a H23 in place of a H24 with a searching for signal problem?

Nope.

5) Does anyone here install 15 swm setups a week?

Yep.

Let me ask you this. Has anyone their bothered to fill out and send a FPR to your FOM? Or is just a bunch of kvetching in the shop? Has anyone bothered to send these "defective" LNBs to DirecTvs engineering to be looked at?
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:46 PM

Very Old,

Would changes in temperature, cable length, tech skills and use of SC or SCC be enough variables to make this one hard to resolve?

Joe

Maybe, yes, absolutely, & yes.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me

#28 OFFLINE   TwoPhases

TwoPhases

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:33 PM

I don't know about everyone else here but if I'm "abrasive" in my approach, acting like I know-it-all in my line of questioning, I expect to be ignored big time. You guys know whom I speak of.

#29 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:25 PM

Let me ask you this. Has anyone their bothered to fill out and send a FPR to your FOM? Or is just a bunch of kvetching in the shop? Has anyone bothered to send these "defective" LNBs to DirecTvs engineering to be looked at?

they are all sent back to DSI, i have marked all the lnbs at what temp and what the problem its causing

They are having the office fill out a sheet on every bad lnb, number of receivers, temp when faild, what else seems odd type of spec sheet.

Geeze i hope to hell they are anylizing those ones we sent back otherwise we are filling all this crap out for nothing.....

Ok, today we noticed ONO doesnt have many problems (they still have lnb issues) with the swim lnbs, but not as much as retailers are having......

Apparently ONO is using refurb h24-100's on new installs, we are using h24-700's on all installs. We had some overheat issues on the 100's when they came out, it was 105F and some wouldnt work in campers or garages so they got sent back. We didnt have the 100's long and then suddenly got replaced by the 700's

Man i havent troubleshot one in so long, we just claim lnb every time now after having 50 bad ones, so i cant recall if a bird dog shows a reading when the receiver doesnt. I do recall at one location my birdog showed a signal, and the receiver didnt though, the reciever showed swm signal and a couple transponders on sats, but almost all were zero.

So now the question is why would some lnbs work with the receivers, and other are deemed incompatible with swm?? And why the heck woudl temp have anything to do with a receiver inside the house??

#30 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:28 PM

so what about the colored insert on the swm head???

#31 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:44 PM

Here are the a couple ive taken out that were bad.

SL3S4NR2-01
SL5S4NR2-01

obviously same part number, one 3 one 5 both are brown insert

Posted Image

Posted Image

Both of these works most of the time, at night when under 10F they would start losing signal or putting channles on the wrong channel number

#32 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,143 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:07 AM

Man i havent troubleshot one in so long, we just claim lnb every time now after having 50 bad ones, so i cant recall if a bird dog shows a reading when the receiver doesnt. I do recall at one location my birdog showed a signal, and the receiver didnt though, the reciever showed swm signal and a couple transponders on sats, but almost all were zero.

So now the question is why would some lnbs work with the receivers, and other are deemed incompatible with swm?? And why the heck woudl temp have anything to do with a receiver inside the house??

"Basically" you're dealing with transmitters and receivers, so you'll need to use a third device to slave in and determine if it's the transmitter or the receiver that's at fault.
A receiver has a minimum detectable signal level, which will vary both by each receiver [due to the nature of chips] and by manufacturer.
On the transmitter and in this case the SWiM, it's output being AGC controlled "should be" more consistent, but the AGC itself can be affected by very cold temps.
Now since the comm FSK 2.3 MHz comes from the receiver, it too is the transmitter and the SWiM is the receiver, so everything above for the SAT signal is reversed for the comm signal.
All of these parts are made with commercial grade chips, so when the temps get really low, they're getting close or out of their operating range.

Two years ago when this first showed up, some were wrapping the LNBs with insulation to keep their internal heat in as a temp fix.
A.K.A VOS

#33 OFFLINE   leeliam

leeliam

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:29 AM

First off, this is just asking questions, if you read this post WRONG you may think its an attack or something but i just want to ask some questions. thats all. Please dont reply if you dont know.

I have seen NO ONE comment on the new swm lnbs. I have stated a few times that they used to have a white insert on the coax feed, and now they have brown, and just recently it went orange....

1) Does anyone here even acknowlege this? obviously they are chaning things very quickly and making it very easy to tell what batch they came from with different colored inserts.

I cant believe no has commented on this. Does this mean no one here actually has a colored insert?? If all you have is the white ones, then obvioulsy you havent had bad ones.

2) Does anyone here even deal with new equipment? Or just stating stuff from last year or last years stuff.

3) Does anyone install 4 HD boxes on every job because of a mpeg 4 market? Please dont ask what an mpeg4 market is....do a search.

4) Has anyone tried a H23 in place of a H24 with a searching for signal problem?

5) Does anyone here install 15 swm setups a week?

2) Yes

5) Yes

I hate to do this but I have to say you are exagerating things a bit. I work out of the warehouse in Des Moines, IA just like you. I also put in more receivers then about 90% of the techs there. I almost exclusively do SWM installs. While I've had a couple of LNBs show 771A on service calls I'm just not seeing it as badly as you claim. Sercive call last week had the PI on an RG59 line that was 100+ ft and I moved the PI to an RG6 line and the 771A disappeared. The only LNB I've seen that caused a problem for a customer was a SWM 5 that had a clear lens.

I put in well over 15 SWM installs a week and haven't had an FSR on any of them for SFSS. I'm leaning towards technician error. I hate to say it but have you looked at your coax stripper? Service call I was on last week the Conductor was scored badly and causing problem. I replaced the connector and the 771 disappeared.

I'm not saying there aren't some bad LNBs, just not to the level that some techs are claiming. It's just getting blamed for all kinds of technician related issues in our area.

#34 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:09 AM

If you are installing H24-700 then your problem might be the receiver, not the LNB. See https://www.perfect-...H24_issues.aspx

#35 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:22 AM

2) Yes

5) Yes

I hate to do this but I have to say you are exagerating things a bit. I work out of the warehouse in Des Moines, IA just like you. I also put in more receivers then about 90% of the techs there. I almost exclusively do SWM installs. While I've had a couple of LNBs show 771A on service calls I'm just not seeing it as badly as you claim. Sercive call last week had the PI on an RG59 line that was 100+ ft and I moved the PI to an RG6 line and the 771A disappeared. The only LNB I've seen that caused a problem for a customer was a SWM 5 that had a clear lens.

I put in well over 15 SWM installs a week and haven't had an FSR on any of them for SFSS. I'm leaning towards technician error. I hate to say it but have you looked at your coax stripper? Service call I was on last week the Conductor was scored badly and causing problem. I replaced the connector and the 771 disappeared.

I'm not saying there aren't some bad LNBs, just not to the level that some techs are claiming. It's just getting blamed for all kinds of technician related issues in our area.

I wish everyone would read the whole post....but what receiver are you using? and again, im not the only tech with the problem, its every tech having problems.

Are you using the brown or orange inserted lnb?

Has it been below zero there?

#36 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:03 PM

I wish everyone would read the whole post....but what receiver are you using? and again, im not the only tech with the problem, its every tech having problems.

Are you using the brown or orange inserted lnb?

Has it been below zero there?

Stop with trying to narrow it down by the f-connector insert color. Multiple mfgs use these inserts. You need to refer to the LNBs by the model number for it to be of any value.

#37 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,984 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:19 PM

better start investigating, its happening in chicago, minneapolis, sioux falls,

we have had 50 of our customers call in and talk to direct cust service and tell them they have bad lnbs, everyone CSR claims they have never heard of such an issue....LOL ya didnt they log those 50 phone calls???

And as always its you same ones that reply with ABSOLUTLY no help or intelligence or info on the matter at hand.

50 whole calls? How many calls do you think that DIRECTV fields in a day? 50 on one issue wouldn't even be a blip on the radar. ALso customer's can claim anything they want on the phone. I could use all sorts of analogies but the bottom line is 99% of the customers DIRECTV has don't even know what an LNB is. Add in the small accumulation of snow in the last week and I think that you might have some issues.

Edited by Shades228, 03 February 2011 - 06:36 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:19 PM

50 calls from all new installs from the same city??i really hope direct is smarter than you percieve them to be.....

today i had a 700 search just after install, hooked up my birdog and yup the line did have signal. The 700 didnt acknowledge a signal till i reset it. It will more than likely drop off and the guy will call in.

The store owner just got back from minneapolis from the direct road show, they are now admiting there is a problem but dont know what it is yet. They claim its not one problem and rather a combination of 3-5 things causing issues, like 700 model, lnb, mrv, and whatever else.

So for now we are still installing stuff that doesnt work.

#39 OFFLINE   leeliam

leeliam

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:10 AM

So for now we are still installing stuff that doesn't work.

I still think you are exaggerating I work in the same market as you and close 3-4 jobs a day working 6 days a week and am not seeing SIN7s on my work much less the amount of service calls you claim are coming from Des Moines. I almost exclusively do SWM installs.

I'm installing the same equipment as you and having nowhere near the widespread problem you are claiming exists.

In another thread you claim to have 30 of your installs coming back to you with problems. That's over a full week of customers having issues. There isn't a tech in the Des Moines HSP warehouse with that many FSRs or SIN7s. You're exaggerating the problem and that doesn't help find or fix anything.

Edited by leeliam, 04 February 2011 - 12:16 AM.

#40 OFFLINE   bri775

bri775

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:14 AM

We install SWM lnbs over here. We started to have this problem last winter with lost signal during cold weather. I believe it has nothing to do with H24 or HR24 receivers as 1 year ago they did not exist and we had the same problem with H21-HR23 receivers. It only occured for us on lnbs made by WNC during temperatures of 5 degrees F to -15 degrees F. What I found interesting about your post is we have NEVER had this problem in an eagle aspen or green lable swm lnb. Most often the signal will not return until the temperature is warmer. Once its warmer some systems will return by themselves while others require a reset. We have not found a solution except to wait or replace the lnb (which is a pain!). DirecTV does not seem to recognize this as a serious problem unfortunately.

#41 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:16 AM

Dad said his WNC SWM LNB and HR24-100 were having some stuttering issues last night. It has been in the single digits here lately.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#42 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:09 PM

I still think you are exaggerating I work in the same market as you and close 3-4 jobs a day working 6 days a week and am not seeing SIN7s on my work much less the amount of service calls you claim are coming from Des Moines. I almost exclusively do SWM installs.

I'm installing the same equipment as you and having nowhere near the widespread problem you are claiming exists.

In another thread you claim to have 30 of your installs coming back to you with problems. That's over a full week of customers having issues. There isn't a tech in the Des Moines HSP warehouse with that many FSRs or SIN7s. You're exaggerating the problem and that doesn't help find or fix anything.

thanks for your concern.....

im not exaggerating anything, these are only the ones I "know" of, i didnt include all the lnbs in the minneapolis area going bad, we ship the equipment from here up to there, we have a guy running up there once a week. He probrably has another 15 or 20 up there that im not including those.

My office just called me yesterday and said we have to find the addresses that 60 lnbs came from and now i have to go through and try to remember which ones were mine. So if anything im only covering half the lnbs, theres over 60 just from our little retail store.

Im not sure why anyone would post up with no knowlege and claim someone is lieing about something, make the phone call if you wish, call dsi in des moines.

I still have no idea what you are talking about with a tech in des moines......its a warehouse not an install company.

And for having a "full week" of issues.....wow your way off, its been 2 months straight.

#43 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

well i dont know why we had those 2 bad eagle aspens..... but its now been -20F here for the last couple nights and have not had any other eagles die.

It sure is nice not have 15 phone calls a week about 771 problem.....good god i hope that doesnt happen ever again, what a PITA!!!!

Back to making money once again

Protected By... spam firewall...And...