Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Cape is Over!

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:31 AM

NBC's "The Cape" is history. They just cut their episode order from 13 to 10 and the 10th episode was just completed.

I have watched this show and it was ok but I am unsurprised by the cut. It had some promising characters in it but the Cape himself wasn't one of them.

My only regret is that it means that Summer Glau is out of job again. Probably won't last long though as she is considered a "hot property in search of a good vehicle". Sometimes these things take time.

After all it took 4 attempts to find a workable series for Alex O'Loughlin, who finally landed on the Hawaii 5-0 remake which has turned into a hit.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,044 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:34 AM

Ironically, this past week is the first time I had seen the show - the ad hype didn't do it for us here.

The show wasn't bad, but honestly, not all that much there to grab one's long-term loyalty either. :shrug:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:35 AM

Yeah... I seem to like everyone on The Cape, except for The Cape. He just seems kinda, I dunno, not all marbles there, kind of...

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:50 AM

I wanted to like it but the chemistry is just not there. It's okay and I probably would have continued to watch it off the DVR but I'm not really gonna miss it when it's gone either.

I'm unhappy about it's demise though because I really think TV needs more "escapism" shows like this (but with better writing, chemistry, whatever) and less of the canned sitcoms and crime dramas that CBS seems to specialize in. Of course CBS' rating continue to excel so that means I'm in the minority of what I consider good TV.

#5 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,142 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:56 AM

Interesting. I had just deleted the series link last week.

It's gotta be compelling to be added to the rotation, and it wasn't growing on me. The concept seemed cool.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:31 AM

This was one I pegged for early termination when I saw how heavily it was promoted. I think that NBC in particular overpromotes things and when they do so, it's a sign to me and probably others that they show is not that good.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:32 AM

I've been watching but I won't really miss it, except for Summer Glau of course. I think the remakes and comic book shows have about run their course.

#8 OFFLINE   HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts
  • Locationnorth east pa

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

so long been good to know you good bye

#9 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

I have one episode recorded I haven't watched yet .. The show is really not that good. Not surprised that it's done.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:11 PM

Yeah... I seem to like everyone on The Cape, except for The Cape. He just seems kinda, I dunno, not all marbles there, kind of...

- Merg

Agreed! And the writing isn't that great either, too easy to see things coming. Anyone want to guess who Orwell's dad is?

I've been looking for a reason to kill my SL, I guess I just got it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:15 PM

I think the remakes and comic book shows have about run their course.

The Cape was never an actual comic so it's not a remake of a comic book.

As for other remakes the only other one that comes to mind is The Walking Dead. What others have you seen in recent years that you feel they have "run their course"?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:50 PM

The Cape was never an actual comic so it's not a remake of a comic book.

As for other remakes the only other one that comes to mind is The Walking Dead. What others have you seen in recent years that you feel they have "run their course"?

I'm not into comics, I assumed it was one. The show certainly looks like one. :)

Bionic Women for one. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

#13 ONLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,490 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

We finally got around to watching the Pilot on Monday night. Watched the first hour and then deleted everything. No big loss for me.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#14 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:04 PM

We finally got around to watching the Pilot on Monday night. Watched the first hour and then deleted everything. No big loss for me.

We hung around for the first 15 minutes of the pilot ... couldn't erase the timer fast enough to please my wife.

I'm not worried about Summer. She's very good at what she does. I expect she'll land on her feet. Now if the networks could just come up with a decent vehicle for her ...
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,524 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:16 PM

Not a surprise from a ratings standpoint.

"The Event" did better in the 9-10 pm Monday time slot against "Dancing with the Stars" and "Two and a Half Men" during the first half of this season, slightly better than "Chuck" in the 8-9 pm. So, of course, NBC decided to stuff in "The Cape" against "The Bachelor" and "Two and a Half Men" reruns in January instead of giving "The Event" a chance to find a larger audience.

I hope Comcast NBCU finds someone who can think to put in charge of programming for NBC.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#16 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,235 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

I am still watching it but it is no big loss. I hope they knew about the cut in time to wrap up the story line (as much as it is)
My Setup

#17 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 418 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:32 PM

I am still watching it but it is no big loss. I hope they knew about the cut in time to wrap up the story line (as much as it is)

Yeah, the evil corporation gets put in its place, and Mr. Cape's kid is happy again. Shouldn't be hard.;)
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#18 OFFLINE   dogs31

dogs31

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:28 PM

Marvel should've been behind this. "The Cape" would've been a really good two (or 2 and a 1/2 half ) hour super hero movie.

#19 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

It was really boring. I stuck with it hoping it would get better. Even just plain silly when the kid could not recognize his fathers voice or face from 6 feet away. Like playing peek a boo with a baby.

#20 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:17 PM

I'm not into comics, I assumed it was one. The show certainly looks like one. :)

Bionic Women for one. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

Bionic Woman wasn't a comic book either, it was an old 70's tv show that was redone.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...