Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OLD SD vrs New HR22

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   larrylwill

larrylwill

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:27 AM

I just changed out my old SD DVR for a new HR22 HD DVR. We watch some SD stations and I notice that the SD stations using the old DVR were really clear and clean very watchable but with the new HR22 they are very pale and low resolution like a VCR tape. Like they used to be before they put up more sats. I also have Dish and they look much better there also.
Why would the look worse on the HR22 than an old DVR40?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   futurerebeldr

futurerebeldr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:14 AM

Not sure if it has to do with the way the HR22 interprets the signal or not. Have you tried switching the HR22 to 480i and tell your tv not to stretch the image to fill the screen (if the tv is an hdtv)? I used to do that on my old HR21 and it helped a lot. Of course those settings are only good when trying to watch the SD stations. They make an HD station look horrible lol. :hurah:

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,835 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:38 AM

A lot of people have had luck with letting the TV do the scaling. Personally I thought the scaler in my HR22 was pretty good, honestly better than the one in the HR24. If you're seeing a diffrence I'm guessing the scaler in your TV is pretty dern good.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   larrylwill

larrylwill

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:25 PM

yes I tried using the 480i and it puts boxes around the picture making it look like 32" on my 67" TV. It does look sharper because its smaller.

I also tried all the different settings in my set from native to up convert to 1080i, it just don't look as sharp. Maybe its just me.

I also found that my Dish $25 package that they just killed had those EXTRA HD stations they want an extra $5 for even though I have the Direct Platinum package. What a rip.

spam firewall