Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need to move dish a couple of feet - best option?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   alanz

alanz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:06 AM

I'm having the electrical service upgraded at my house (200amps->400amps) which requires a much larger box on the outside of my house. My dish is attached to the house at ground level and is going to be in the way of the new box. I need to move the dish about 2 feet over so it's out of the way.

Any idea what my best option is (i.e. cheapest with minimum pain :))? Will Direct move the dish for me or do I need to move it and then have them come out and realign it? I don't have the protection plan (willing to add it if necessary) and I've already used my free realign last year when I experienced some reception problems.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:32 AM

I'm having the electrical service upgraded at my house (200amps->400amps) which requires a much larger box on the outside of my house. My dish is attached to the house at ground level and is going to be in the way of the new box. I need to move the dish about 2 feet over so it's out of the way.

Any idea what my best option is (i.e. cheapest with minimum pain :))? Will Direct move the dish for me or do I need to move it and then have them come out and realign it? I don't have the protection plan (willing to add it if necessary) and I've already used my free realign last year when I experienced some reception problems.

Thanks!

If you don't move it too far you won't have to have it aligned. I just went through a similar thing. It was 10' up on a flat patio roof which collapsed in the snow. I put it on the ground 10' below (well, on a 1.5 foot high cinderblock wall) and about 5' feet to the right and it was just plug 'n' play. "Aiming" it took about 2 minutes and signals are as good if not better then where it was up on the roof. Didn't have to touch any adjustments. That being said, DirecTV will move it for $50.

http://www.dbstalk.c...03&postcount=28

#3 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:48 AM

Thanks!

It may not be too hard,

Without touching any settings....mark where the dish and mast are connected by making a line with a pencil on both parts so you can but the dish back on the mast.

THEN loosen the bolts that squeeze the dish head on the mast until you can slide the dish up and off the mast, wires and all. Cut any zip ties. Place the dish on the ground out of the way.

THEN relocate the mast where it needs to go. Remove the lag bolts for reuse. The mast must be firmly attached and, most important, the shaft must end up "plumb" again after you bolt the mast to the building. You can loosen the vertical adjustment bolts on the mast base if necessary or use shims.

Then replace the dish on the mast and exactly align the marks you made. Tighten the bolts. Check your signals. They should / could be what they were before the move. Tie down the cable and coil any extra you made with the move..replace the zip ties......you are done.

However, you have to avoid moving the dish so it is blocked by trees or other stuff and you have to move the mast in a direction that will give you extra cable to coil instead of having to add additional cable.

Without seeing things or knowing the type dish that is generally it.

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 06 February 2011 - 07:54 AM.
typo

#4 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:04 PM

Dang, 400 amps?! You running a factory in there?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:23 PM

Just a tankless electric water heater can draw over 115A at 240V. Add in a big A/C unit or two...

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#6 OFFLINE   thewallfisher

thewallfisher

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

If you have HD you WILL have problems if you move it. If the dish is not properly dithered you will have a hard time getting the 99* and the 103* satellites.

What dish do you use?

#7 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

Just a tankless electric water heater can draw over 115A at 240V. Add in a big A/C unit or two...

Yep, that's true. I know it's a bit off-topic, but I'm a bit curious about the OP's circumstances for the 400A upgrade. A builder tried to talk a friend of mine into a similar upgrade when it wasn't necessary. I understand there's always the "what if" factor though...
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#8 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:19 PM

he's got his eye on a new arc welder.

#9 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:28 PM

I heard he bought an electric chair off eBay. :)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#10 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:37 PM

:eek2:

Are those heaters even efficient?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#11 OFFLINE   alanz

alanz

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:54 PM

Yep, that's true. I know it's a bit off-topic, but I'm a bit curious about the OP's circumstances for the 400A upgrade. A builder tried to talk a friend of mine into a similar upgrade when it wasn't necessary. I understand there's always the "what if" factor though...

It's not as interesting as it might seem. We are finishing our basement and including an in-law apartment down there. The house is all electric, so between 3 heat pumps/AC units, a water heater, two stoves, two dryers etc. we will quickly max out the 200A service. The meter will probably spin itself off the house if we ever pull that load but we have to do it to pass inspection.

We have a slimline dish with HD service so it sounds like paying the $50 is my best bet.

Thanks for all the replies.

#12 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:37 PM

:eek2:

Are those heaters even efficient?

The efficiency comes from only using that much energy when hot water is requested, unlike the tank heaters that have stand-by losses. There's some additional factors at play though, and some debate as to whether tankless are all they're cracked up to be...

Edited by dsw2112, 06 February 2011 - 08:42 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:39 PM

It's not as interesting as it might seem...

Yeah, I was just being nosey; looks like 400A makes sense given your circumstances.

#14 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:42 AM

It's not as interesting as it might seem. We are finishing our basement and including an in-law apartment down there. The house is all electric, so between 3 heat pumps/AC units, a water heater, two stoves, two dryers etc. we will quickly max out the 200A service. The meter will probably spin itself off the house if we ever pull that load but we have to do it to pass inspection.

We have a slimline dish with HD service so it sounds like paying the $50 is my best bet.

Thanks for all the replies.

Alanz,

Actually, according to the 2010 Directv price list: RELOCATE DISH, CUSTOMER REQUEST = $99.00 and that includes what we spoke of about extra cable. IF for some reason the tech cannot attach the dish to the building and needs to use a steel pole that would be &75.00 with 20 ft of buried cable,,the rest is $1.00 / ft.

None of this is a $50.00 service charge because the system is working and you REQUEST to move things.

That being said...look for a more convenient spot since you will pay for it.
Techs have a six foot ladder for the purpose of working on dishes that are on buildings high enough to be out of the way of lawn cutters and lost pilgrims.... even a deer bump will cost you $50.00 for a repoint in the future.

You could still give it a shot before REQUESTING the relocation of your dish.

Joe

#15 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

Alanz,

Actually, according to the 2010 Directv price list: RELOCATE DISH, CUSTOMER REQUEST = $99.00 and that includes what we spoke of about extra cable.

They just quoted me $49.99 about 10 days ago to move my dish (I ended up DIY or DIM as the case may be) and that was without chiseling with them. Could it be because I had the PP? :confused: Someone else recently posted the same $49.95 with a pole mount!

#16 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:52 PM

DirecTV only charged me $49.95 in 2009 for relocating to a pole.
They didn't know it at the time I requested the relocation, but I had planted the pole myself. And I also drilled the hole in the house to relocate the cables.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#17 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:27 PM

They just quoted me $49.99 about 10 days ago to move my dish (I ended up DIY or DIM as the case may be) and that was without chiseling with them. Could it be because I had the PP? :confused: Someone else recently posted the same $49.95 with a pole mount!

It may work out your way There was a time when Directv told customers to make a deal with an installation contractor because they did no installations.

So you have a verbal commitment to fifty bucks...that could be good. DirecTV now has in house installers and it is in their best interest to cut breaks and eat charges to keep good customers happy.

I just pass on what is on the paper.....go for it...but watch your bill the month after the work & get some kind of receipt for the charges.

Report how it goes.

Joe

#18 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,202 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:57 PM

I'd move it more than 2 feet.. I'd move it as far away as possible within reason.. I just don't get why people think its a good idea to put low voltage stuff near high voltage. Its just bad!

#19 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:05 AM

I'd move it more than 2 feet.. I'd move it as far away as possible within reason.. I just don't get why people think its a good idea to put low voltage stuff near high voltage. Its just bad!

There are several considerations.

You are right about the high voltage & low voltage mix.How about the cable guy and the phone guy pealing back the caulk where the main house electric enters the foundation? Not good but it happens.

The sat system is supposed to be grounded...bonded to the main ground for the house electric...within twenty feet of the ground rod the sat ground block has to be connected to the ground lug. Then the cable enters the building.
The dish has to have a line of sight to work and some folks want it hidden.

Low voltage and high voltage mixes are not a good idea but there are many considerations.......installers are supposed to find one quickly and move on.

Joe

#20 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:45 AM

Ask your electrician if he has experience with those dishes. He might be able to move it for you, or help you (You help HIM).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...