Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need to move dish a couple of feet - best option?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:48 AM

Ask your electrician if he has experience with those dishes. He might be able to move it for you, or help you (You help HIM).

That is a good idea!
IF you end up moving the dish to a distant location the electrical code calls for back bonding ground rods. Directv techs for sure do not have 8ft ground rods to pound in nor do they have the 6ga (I think) ground cable. They just don't ask or tell if the dish is not grounded or is at excessive length.

For some reasons electricians insist on twist on fittings which just fail all the time. Let the DTV tech cut the approved fittings.

Joe

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   alanz

alanz

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

It may work out your way There was a time when Directv told customers to make a deal with an installation contractor because they did no installations.

So you have a verbal commitment to fifty bucks...that could be good. DirecTV now has in house installers and it is in their best interest to cut breaks and eat charges to keep good customers happy.

I just pass on what is on the paper.....go for it...but watch your bill the month after the work & get some kind of receipt for the charges.

Report how it goes.

Joe

The new electrical panel is in and it looks like the dish is going to be OK where it is. The high and low voltage wires enter the house through different penetrations so interference should not be an issue. The current location of the dish is perfect so I really didn't want to change it. It's off the corner of the house enough that there is no risk of it getting bumped and it's hidden behind a shrub so it can't be seen from the street.

I've attached a picture of the new installation. One of the support arms of the dish was temporarily detached from the house to give better access but is now back in place.

Attached Thumbnails

• electrical_panel.JPG

#23 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:25 PM

Houses are quickly becoming miniature enterprises! Fiber optics right to the premises, 400A power service, and before you know it we all will probably all have dedicated rooms as electrical closets for our 480Y coming in for appliances and step-down transformers for everything else. :lol:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#24 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:44 PM

The new electrical panel is in and it looks like the dish is going to be OK where it is. The high and low voltage wires enter the house through different penetrations so interference should not be an issue. The current location of the dish is perfect so I really didn't want to change it. It's off the corner of the house enough that there is no risk of it getting bumped and it's hidden behind a shrub so it can't be seen from the street.

I've attached a picture of the new installation. One of the support arms of the dish was temporarily detached from the house to give better access but is now back in place.

Looks like a very clean installation!

The three things I would add = (1.)Right now the dish has no monopole supports and may be fine without them. Just know that Directv can supply $$$$ struts to support the dish if it comes loose.
(2.) As that shrub grows, a little pruning to keep it out of the LOS will go a long way.
(3.) Dishes mounted that low are prone to having their arms broken by lawn cutters and or snow removal folks.

Glad it worked for ya,

Joe

#25 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

Houses are quickly becoming miniature enterprises! Fiber optics right to the premises, 400A power service, and before you know it we all will probably all have dedicated rooms as electrical closets for our 480Y coming in for appliances and step-down transformers for everything else. :lol:

If someone had told me 15 years ago, that I would need a centrally located closet to hold all my incoming media devices, a central network point, a bank of video recording devices, and backup electric service...I would have laughed. Now, I barely have room in one corner of the closet for clothes :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#26 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:47 PM

If someone had told me 15 years ago, that I would need a centrally located closet to hold all my incoming media devices, a central network point, a bank of video recording devices, and backup electric service...I would have laughed. Now, I barely have room in one corner of the closet for clothes :)

Yeah, you need that stuff now! :lol:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#27 OFFLINE   alanz

alanz

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:42 AM

Looks like a very clean installation!

The three things I would add = (1.)Right now the dish has no monopole supports and may be fine without them. Just know that Directv can supply $$$$ struts to support the dish if it comes loose.
(2.) As that shrub grows, a little pruning to keep it out of the LOS will go a long way.
(3.) Dishes mounted that low are prone to having their arms broken by lawn cutters and or snow removal folks.

Glad it worked for ya,

Joe

1. The pole has two supports coming off of it which attach to the house, one was removed during the electrical installation and has since been replaced. Are these the monopole struts?
2. Yes, I need to do that this spring. The angle of the picture makes it look worse than it is, but a couple of the branches are getting close.
3. I don't know that we have snow removal people in South Carolina :) There is a mulch bed with low growing shrubs around the house by the dish which keeps the lawn cutter (me) well away from doing any damage.

Thanks again

#28 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:32 AM

1. The pole has two supports coming off of it which attach to the house, one was removed during the electrical installation and has since been replaced. Are these the monopole struts?
2. Yes, I need to do that this spring. The angle of the picture makes it look worse than it is, but a couple of the branches are getting close.
3. I don't know that we have snow removal people in South Carolina :) There is a mulch bed with low growing shrubs around the house by the dish which keeps the lawn cutter (me) well away from doing any damage.

Thanks again

You got it!

Yes monopoles are the struts DTV supplies. They are really only needed for wind load & snow if the mast bolts are strong. Tip pruning from time to time does keep things working. And you have the dish arm thing under control. Kids will climb on those things and the spot welds will break. If you do a real good job of painting the dish to camouflage it you will know you have it right when deer eat the arm.

Joe

spam firewall