Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help! No signal on Super Bowl Sunday!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jake14mw

jake14mw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:11 AM

I'm having the ultimate nightmare right now. I have people coming over in 5 hours, and I have no satellite signal on my HD channels. SD is mostly OK. I'm hoping someone here can help me in quickly troubleshooting. I have been having some minor breakups with national SD channels also lately. I did have to get snow and ice off the dish recently. Do you think it's most likely I moved the dish? I hope I didn't damage an LNB. I went to the signal strength meter, and here are the results:

101: 71
110: 82
119: 89
99: 34
103: 0

What do these results point to? I was thinking if I killed the alignment that my 110 and 119 results wouldn't be so high? Any troubleshooting suggestions you could provide this desperate person would be helpful. Getting to the dish is a challenge. It is on a pole 100 feet from the house, and the issue is I have literally 3 feet of ice encrusted snow on the ground. I want to have my act together before I go out there. Thank you very much.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:14 AM

Looks like you knocked it out of alignment when you de-iced it.

#3 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,814 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:15 AM

I'm having the ultimate nightmare right now. I have people coming over in 5 hours, and I have no satellite signal on my HD channels. SD is mostly OK. I'm hoping someone here can help me in quickly troubleshooting. I have been having some minor breakups with national SD channels also lately. I did have to get snow and ice off the dish recently. Do you think it's most likely I moved the dish? I hope I didn't damage an LNB. I went to the signal strength meter, and here are the results:

What do these results point to? I was thinking if I killed the alignment that my 110 and 119 results wouldn't be so high? Any troubleshooting suggestions you could provide this desperate person would be helpful. Getting to the dish is a challenge. It is on a pole 100 feet from the house, and the issue is I have literally 3 feet of ice encrusted snow on the ground. I want to have my act together before I go out there. Thank you very much.

Your HD channels come from the 99 and 103 Sats.
Don't worry about the 99(s) and 103(s) SATS for now.
Most of those readings will be low.

But you need to get the 99© and 103(ca) and 103(cb) signals 70 or above. Then the (s) SATS will fall into place.

How do the c and ca/cb 99 and 103 sats look?

#4 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:17 AM

HD is in 99 and 103. That looks bad.

#5 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:17 AM

For the Super Bowl, all you need is the sat from which you receive your locals.

#6 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:23 AM

I also suspect alignment. Is your dish easily accessible? You need to try and get 101 signals well above 90. You will have a better chance of pulling in the 99 and 103 if you do.

#7 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,119 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:29 AM

The KA band is so sensitive that just the slightest little movement can send it out of alignment. let's first start with this, Is there any ice or snow on the dish, LNB's or Arm? I know you mentioned you cleared it recently but never hurts to check again.

Edited by fluffybear, 06 February 2011 - 10:36 AM.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#8 OFFLINE   jake14mw

jake14mw

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:33 AM

Thanks for the quick help everyone. As some mentioned, my only concern right now it getting reception on my local FOX, which is WTIC 61. What satellite is that on? Is the easiest method for doing this to put the signal strength meter on that satellite, and go out there with a cell phone and just move it around trying to increase the number?

#9 OFFLINE   jake14mw

jake14mw

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:41 AM

Fluffybear, to answer your question, there is no more snow/ice on the dish, it's clear. It's also sunny out today.

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:46 AM

Fluffybear, to answer your question, there is no more snow/ice on the dish, it's clear. It's also sunny out today.

According to the transponder maps, WTIC (Fox HD outlet) is on your 103s transponder 17.

Good luck, hope you get it straightened out in time for the SB...

#11 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,119 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

Easiest thing is would be to go outside and be on a cell phone with someone who can read the meter and read you numbers. I would make a mark on the dish & pole of where the dish sits right now just in case you need to put things back (as you are not 100% sure where the issue is) then start moving the dish towards the south-west ever so slightly.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#12 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:00 AM

Easiest thing is would be to go outside and be on a cell phone with someone who can read the meter and read you numbers. I would make a mark on the dish & pole of where the dish sits right now just in case you need to put things back (as you are not 100% sure where the issue is) then start moving the dish towards the south-west ever so slightly.

This will do it +

From the looks of your signals you want to move the dish about one degree west WEST = right from the back of the dish. Do not touch the elevation or tilt.

Find a 1/2" open end wrench.

Just loosen the three side bolts ( after making a mark on the mast at the dish head) and make a slight move pushing with your left hand and pulling with your right. EZ! You will make a very small move...then check..by cell phone if possible.

Set your signal meter to the 103 satellite. Get those numbers into the 90s and you will be good.

This will possibly get your signal up for the game.

Only work one parameter at a time..but the compass line (east / west) is usually the one that gets bumped. After locking down the "left right" bolts on the side of the mast you could begin to tune with the dither adjustments...try the azimuth adjustment first.

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 06 February 2011 - 11:08 AM.
typo

#13 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,814 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:06 AM

If you don't get the dish back in shape, here's an alternative.

If your TV was manufactured since 2007, you probably have an ANTENNA INPUT. Or if your DVR is an HR20, its on the back of that box.

Go out to your local TV store and find some old fashioned rabbit ears. Ask a friend, they may have some. Dont blow $75 on any special HDTV antenna.

Connect it to your antenna input on your TV and SCAN for channels.
You may find TV 61 comes in crystal clear.
I looked on the web, its up at 1500 feet.

Or once your antenna is hooked up, enter channel 31.1 or 31-1, 31.2 or 31.3 or 31.4 on your TV remote (not directv remote) and you may see it. Tha's the FCC channel its on and your TV will convert it to 61.

Good Luck

#14 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,840 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:14 AM

Another possible work around - If you have your local cable company for internet AND your TV has a QAM tuner, plug in your cable if you can and scan for channels...Locals are typically unencrypted.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#15 OFFLINE   jake14mw

jake14mw

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:19 PM

No luck yet. For the signal level, which 103 should I have the receiver on 103 ©, (ca), or (cb)?

#16 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

Its easier to peak 101 first, then fine tune 103 CA or 103 CB.. Just dont try to peak on the (S) ones.
Also, if you have a signal now, I would not move the dish on the pole. I would make sure its locked down to the pole tight, and use the fine tuning adjustment knobs on the mount to peak it. Just make sure you loosen the mounts lock down nuts first, so you dont strip the adjusting bolt.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#17 OFFLINE   jake14mw

jake14mw

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:45 PM

Again, I really appreciate everyone's help. I'm starting to get worried though. I could not get any signal at all on 103. I did peak the other signals as follows below, the first number is the before number, the second is the after peaking number.

101: 71 80
110: 82 85
119; 89 91
99: 34 53
103: Not Aquired

What do you guys think? When I was trying to get the 103 signal, I was rotating the dish on the mast slightly while on the phone asking if anything was happening. Then I had my son and daughter on the phone at different TVs, and while peaking it on one TV, no signal was ever aquired on 103 on the other. Based on what I have here, do you think its possible I damaged the LNB while removing ice? I didn't hit it that hard. Is the lnb different for the 103 that the 101? I was assuming they were the same one.

#18 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:56 PM

You wont get a signal on 103 until 101 is over 90 (generally).
Lock the dish on the mast where it is now, and use the fine tuning knobs.
First, use the elevation knob. Peak 101.
Second, use the azimuth knob. Peak 101.
Repeat the two above. Once you get 101 over 90, THEN try checking 103.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#19 OFFLINE   jake14mw

jake14mw

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:57 PM

Thanks very much for your help, I'll go try that now.

#20 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:02 PM

Dont forget to loosen the nuts opposite the fine tuning screw knob and bottom of sliding plate, or it wont move and could damage the adjusters. Depending on mount, there could be several of them. Think there is one for elevation, and three for Azimuth.

spam firewall