Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Help taking apart Sony laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cableguy902

cableguy902

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:57 PM

Ok here is the deal. Laptop fell on the floor and those USB ports where right at the point of the impact. Result - they are crooked but still work fine. Unfortunately headphone jack (the black one on the picture) does not work anymore. I guess it got jammed inside by those USB ports. It's a big deal for me because I use it to run sound and video through my big screen.
My question - is it a good idea to take apart the thing and poke around a bit? Thanks for any help. I just dont want to make any more damage by trying to fix it

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 4.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

Ok here is the deal. Laptop fell on the floor and those USB ports where right at the point of the impact. Result - they are crooked but still work fine. Unfortunately headphone jack (the black one on the picture) does not work anymore. I guess it got jammed inside by those USB ports. It's a big deal for me because I use it to run sound and video through my big screen.
My question - is it a good idea to take apart the thing and poke around a bit? Thanks for any help. I just dont want to make any more damage by trying to fix it

A solder joint eas probably damaged. How good are you with a soldering iron? Anotber way to fix this is to use a usb sound card.
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   cableguy902

cableguy902

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:41 PM

Soldering iron.... I did some when I was a kid. Wasn't too hard. Now how do I take this thing apart?

How much is the usb sound card and how good would the sound quality be? I love taking thing apart but I rather not risk my only computer that otherwise works just great.

#4 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:56 AM

Soldering iron.... I did some when I was a kid. Wasn't too hard. Now how do I take this thing apart?

How much is the usb sound card and how good would the sound quality be? I love taking thing apart but I rather not risk my only computer that otherwise works just great.

A usb sound card isn't too expensive. Maybe $20 om amazon. They are usually very good quality from the ones I've used at the apple store, and my brother owns one.
Kevin

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   cableguy902

cableguy902

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:24 AM

Thanks Kevin

#6 OFFLINE   cableguy902

cableguy902

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:42 AM

Amazon also has USB hubs with 4 to 10 USB port extensions that also include headphone jack. Which is great for my laptop, since I only have 3 USB ports and 2 are always used up by keyboard and mouse. I probably will go with one of those usb hubs, I assume sound quality should be at least as good as the original headphone jack. Or should I buy dedicated sound adapter?

#7 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:58 PM

Amazon also has USB hubs with 4 to 10 USB port extensions that also include headphone jack. Which is great for my laptop, since I only have 3 USB ports and 2 are always used up by keyboard and mouse. I probably will go with one of those usb hubs, I assume sound quality should be at least as good as the original headphone jack. Or should I buy dedicated sound adapter?

I think that will work just fine. And usb ports are an added bonus.
Kevin

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...