Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish 311 and Dish 500 compatibility

installer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sparky28

sparky28

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:40 AM

Newbie here. My old Dish 4700 receiver gave up and Dish sent me a 311 as a replacement. I cannot get the 311 to properly connect to my old Dish 500 dish. I am using SW21 trying to connect to 110 and 119 birds. Dish and switch worked fine with old 4700 receiver. Called Dish and get conflicting answers, depending on who I talk to--should or will not work??? The 119 bird works OK, the 110 does not, getting error to check switch which I have done many times with no good results.

Is or is not the 311 compatible with a Dish 500 using a SW21?

Thanks, Sparky28

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,754 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:07 AM

It is compatible, perhaps the SW-21 is flaky.
What FW version the 311 running ?

#3 OFFLINE   sparky28

sparky28

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:16 AM

The SW was working with the old 4700 rec. Software: P439

#4 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,719 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:36 AM

It is supposed to be compatible.

Try this - disconnect the receiver from the cable. Now - do a check switch.
Unplug the power, then connect the cable again and plug the power back. Do another Check Switch. If you have an SW21 with 2 Legacy LNBs - it should do 38 tests.

If this fails - see about replacing the SW21 with another one. If you don't have one, consider getting a DishProPlus TWIN LNB (I know this works - as it is what I'm using). If you have another Legacy receiver, Having the 311 will power the DPP TWIN and the Legacy receiver will see it as an SW64.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#5 OFFLINE   sparky28

sparky28

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:28 PM

I did get another SW21 and went through all the procedure and it worked fine. So then I went back to the old SW21 and it now works fine also. Don't know what happened but all works now and can verify that Dish 311 receiver IS compatible with a SW21.

Thanks for the help.

#6 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,719 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:36 PM

The idea on doing the checkswitch without a cable connected was to reset the receiver back into Legacy (as opposed to DishPro) mode.

any way - Glad you're watching TV again.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#7 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:37 PM

Sometimes the SW21's get a lil flaky. I've lost birds before, changed to a different 21 and got it working again. Hell I've even lost 1 of the birds, simply re-ran check switch again, an voila, worked again. If the switch is outside and exposed to weather, it can get even more flaky.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#8 OFFLINE   sparky28

sparky28

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:13 PM

Sometimes the SW21's get a lil flaky. I've lost birds before, changed to a different 21 and got it working again. Hell I've even lost 1 of the birds, simply re-ran check switch again, an voila, worked again. If the switch is outside and exposed to weather, it can get even more flaky.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I checked the switch several times and the report was 119 odd and even OK, 110 even OK and 110 odd with a X. I tried setting up the 500 dish as a 300, one bird at a time and got good signal levels from both satellites. Went back to the SW21, ran the switch setup again and got the same results. Stayed that way until I tried a second SW21.

#9 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,754 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:12 AM

You got the hint from first reply ;).

#10 OFFLINE   sparky28

sparky28

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:46 AM

You got the hint from first reply ;).

Unfortunately, I didn't. And the conflicting answers from Dish did not help. The old combination 4700/SW21 was used at home and in my RV for about 10 years and I had set up that combination probably close to 100 times all over the Western US with no problems. When I replaced the 4700 with the 311 receiver and it didn't work, I naturally assumed (at least to me) that the 311 and SW21 did not like each other. I was wrong!!

Still not sure what caused the problem.

#11 OFFLINE   PerryB

PerryB

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

Any time you change a 311 environment (lnb, switch, etc) you have to fool the receiver to get it to reset. It is the only Dish receiver that I know of where you have to do this. Running the switch check with the receiver disconnected to the lnb does this. Only Dish knows why:hurah::):)

spam firewall