Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Youtube Videos on DIRECTV HD DVR

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#126 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,181 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:29 PM

This feature has been released to everyone .. something was pushed to your receiver that enabled Youtube (I don't know all of the technical details). It's apparently not working for everyone, though.

I do know that your DVR must be connected to the Internet and that the parental controls need to allow videos.

I think what is going on is that your DVR simply isn't "seeing" the servers responsible for making this work. I don't know if this is because of something on your end or something on DIRECTV's end. I'm still waiting for feedback from DIRECTV.

In any event, this is no longer a Cutting Edge only feature.

Am looking forward to you posting the feedback you get from DirecTV. As I posted the technician I talked with acknowledged there is a problem with the Youtube release and that their engineers are working on it but would not tell me what the problem is and that resetting the receiver works in some cases but not all.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#127 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,379 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:54 PM

Release Notes posted...

http://www.dbstalk.c...305#post2707305
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#128 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,008 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:09 PM

Release Notes posted...

http://www.dbstalk.c...305#post2707305

The last line Titled "Notes" may be the key to why I lost the youtube results today.

#129 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:25 PM

It's hard to tell if it's a large number of receivers or not. Certainly it's more than one. Seems here it's affecting 6-12 folks. I'll let you know if I hear anything from DIRECTV.

If I understand correctly, I go to SEARCH, put in a keyword like "CATS" and then scroll down to the end of the suggested list. Right now all I see is "KEYWORD CATS" and nothing at all about YouTube. I assume there are some cat videos on YouTube, so the search shouldn't be null. HR20-700 (now 0x458), HR21-700
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#130 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,331 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:34 PM

If I understand correctly, I go to SEARCH, put in a keyword like "CATS" and then scroll down to the end of the suggested list. Right now all I see is "KEYWORD CATS" and nothing at all about YouTube. I assume there are some cat videos on YouTube, so the search shouldn't be null. HR20-700 (now 0x458), HR21-700

As you type CATS you should notice your choices filter down with each letter typed. When CATS is typed, you should see on the right it say:
"CATS" Keyword
"CATS" Youtube

Then, you select the Youtube choice and results will show.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#131 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,379 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:35 PM

The last line Titled "Notes" may be the key to why I lost the youtube results today.

Folks need to make sure they read the part about how this will only be enabled once all the units have the updates pushed out to the various HD DVR models...

#132 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,930 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:38 PM

Folks need to make sure they read the part about how this will only be enabled once all the units have the updates pushed out to the various HD DVR models...

I've removed that line. That was the previous notes from when the release started a few weeks back.

Youtube is supposed to be enabled for EVERYONE with and HR20, HR21, HR22, HR23, HR24 or R22 at this point.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#133 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,379 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:56 PM

I've removed that line. That was the previous notes from when the release started a few weeks back.

Youtube is supposed to be enabled for EVERYONE with and HR20, HR21, HR22, HR23, HR24 or R22 at this point.

Good to know.

#134 OFFLINE   jdh8668

jdh8668

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:14 PM

This new feature is very cool. Big Thumbs Up to Directv!!! Getting it on my HR20-700. I can see myself watching videos of old bands way into the wee hours.:D
Also works on my HR21 too.

Edited by jdh8668, 10 February 2011 - 07:05 AM.

#135 OFFLINE   tnorrispj

tnorrispj

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:16 PM

you think it could be a DNS thing, Doug? I'm using opendns on my local network for dns. i think i'll try switching over to my local isp's dns servers and see if that makes a difference

#136 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:23 PM

I've noticed that none of the YouTube HD videos that I've checked can actually be viewed in HD on the DVR even though I have sufficient bandwidth and they work fine on my PC. Anyone know why this is the case?
Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

#137 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:28 PM

I think what is going on is that your DVR simply isn't "seeing" the servers responsible for making this work. I don't know if this is because of something on your end or something on DIRECTV's end. I'm still waiting for feedback from DIRECTV.

I am not at home right now, so I can't test.... but I can tell you that I am currently remoted (RDP) into my home desktop, and from there I can ping all devices in my network, so they are definitely connected to the network. I also don't have a firewall in place that would prevent any device from communicating to the outside world.

Of course I can test communication between my network and the servers responsible for making this work, if I had the IP address(es) of the servers. A traceroute might be able to reveal some more information. Who knows, maybe it is an AT&T related issue, which is my ISP.

On the other hand, TV Apps work fine and without any problem, as well as using DLNA to stream online video from other sources to my HR24/100.

At this moment however, since I don't have any more information as to which servers it needs to reach so I can determine whether there IS a network problem, I am inclined to think that this is all on DirecTV.

I can ping "directv.com" without any problem from here, but there is a high probability that the servers that it NEEDS to reach are in a whole different data center in some other part of the country then where the public website is hosted.

So until then I wait. Now, the fact that DirecTV hasn't responded to you yet, tells me that this is something they did not encounter during previous testing, as if it did occur during tests, the problem and the possible solution would have been documented. Or am I really expecting too much now? :D :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#138 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:30 PM

you think it could be a DNS thing, Doug? I'm using opendns on my local network for dns. i think i'll try switching over to my local isp's dns servers and see if that makes a difference

Not sure. I use AT&T's DNS. If we have some IP addresses and names to resolve, we can test this.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#139 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:32 PM

OK, it's weird .. but it doesn't change the fact that DIRECTV is not supporting vevo.com.

I know that but vevo.com is seperate from youtube. when I view a music video that comes from vevo it plays through youtube I don't have to leave youtube.com and goto vevo.com to see the video otherwise vevo music videos would not work through wii media center.

#140 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,930 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

I know that but vevo.com is seperate from youtube. when I view a music video that comes from vevo it plays through youtube I don't have to leave youtube.com and goto vevo.com to see the video otherwise vevo music videos would not work through wii media center.

DIRECTV doesn't support that as you can see .. that's why they don't show up in the results.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#141 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:58 PM

I don't think DirecTV want's to support real copyrighted material like music video's. If they can't control the royalties paid to each artist every time a video is paid, then they would likely be a target for a lawsuit. I guess the internet makes money off of click-able ads, plus these people seem to have different opinions on viewing content via your computer monitor vs. a TV screen (just ask Hulu).

There's many other things omitted from DirecTV's YouTube search, from big name content providers ie) CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox. I think it's filtered for the legal issues. Better safe than sorry.

My solution: I run Boxee off my laptop. I just set my laptop in it's docking station, which is connected to my TV. I use my iPhone remotes... Mobile Mouse if I am navigating in Windows, or the Boxee remote control if in full screen Boxee. The Crisp HD UI is light years beyond anything DirecTV, Tivo, or Cable providers offer. It's also very quick and has smooth modern screen transitions and GUI effects. Content on it streams instantly using the same exact internet connection that is available to my HR24. It's in good quality too. I know one of my favorite things to watch is the Engadget Show. It comes in at 720p in real time. It's quite amazing that they are able to do it.

#142 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:11 PM

DIRECTV doesn't support that as you can see .. that's why they don't show up in the results.

do other videos that contain ads play on directv? the ads I refer to are the ones that play before the video and the ones that show up at the bottom of the video after a few seconds.

#143 OFFLINE   jasonhol

jasonhol

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

youtube was also working for me yesterday before the update now nothing.

#144 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

Was working yesterday for me on one of the DVRs. Tried a couple of videos. The last one locked up. Red button reset and now no YouTube for me.

#145 OFFLINE   ttodd1

ttodd1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:21 PM

I had it yesterday and then this AM the unit had rebooted now I do not have youtube anymore. What happened?

#146 OFFLINE   jasonhol

jasonhol

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

just did a force fw download and youtube is working again!

#147 OFFLINE   Mariah2014

Mariah2014

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 836 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:18 PM

Reboot fixed mine. I have noticed videos on you tube with any territory restrictions have excluded. This is probably why those videos that vevo has rights to put on you tube are excluded since some of those videos they can't show in the United States and some they can only show in the United States.
edit. atleast one vevo video is in the mix that I have found so far. Just may take awhile I guess for them to be included. However it was from a vevo channel on you tube added in the last few days.

Edited by mshaw2715, 09 February 2011 - 08:27 PM.

#148 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:18 PM

Despite Doug's comments that it should be available for everyone, it clearly isn't. Is ANYONE out there running x452 software and able to access it? If so, is ANYONE running x452 on an HR-23 and have it working? Just wondering...

#149 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:20 PM

has anyone tried to play a video that contains an ad that plays before the video and/or an ad that shows at the bottom of the video after a few seconds.

#150 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 486 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:56 PM

I don't see you tube on either my HR22 or HR23 that are connected to the internet.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...