Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Youtube Videos on DIRECTV HD DVR

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,954 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:58 PM

I don't think DirecTV want's to support real copyrighted material like music video's. If they can't control the royalties paid to each artist every time a video is paid, then they would likely be a target for a lawsuit. I guess the internet makes money off of click-able ads, plus these people seem to have different opinions on viewing content via your computer monitor vs. a TV screen (just ask Hulu).

There's many other things omitted from DirecTV's YouTube search, from big name content providers ie) CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox. I think it's filtered for the legal issues. Better safe than sorry.

My solution: I run Boxee off my laptop. I just set my laptop in it's docking station, which is connected to my TV. I use my iPhone remotes... Mobile Mouse if I am navigating in Windows, or the Boxee remote control if in full screen Boxee. The Crisp HD UI is light years beyond anything DirecTV, Tivo, or Cable providers offer. It's also very quick and has smooth modern screen transitions and GUI effects. Content on it streams instantly using the same exact internet connection that is available to my HR24. It's in good quality too. I know one of my favorite things to watch is the Engadget Show. It comes in at 720p in real time. It's quite amazing that they are able to do it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:11 PM

DIRECTV doesn't support that as you can see .. that's why they don't show up in the results.

do other videos that contain ads play on directv? the ads I refer to are the ones that play before the video and the ones that show up at the bottom of the video after a few seconds.

#143 OFFLINE   jasonhol

jasonhol

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

youtube was also working for me yesterday before the update now nothing.

#144 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

Was working yesterday for me on one of the DVRs. Tried a couple of videos. The last one locked up. Red button reset and now no YouTube for me.

#145 OFFLINE   ttodd1

ttodd1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:21 PM

I had it yesterday and then this AM the unit had rebooted now I do not have youtube anymore. What happened?

#146 OFFLINE   jasonhol

jasonhol

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

just did a force fw download and youtube is working again!

#147 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:18 PM

Reboot fixed mine. I have noticed videos on you tube with any territory restrictions have excluded. This is probably why those videos that vevo has rights to put on you tube are excluded since some of those videos they can't show in the United States and some they can only show in the United States.
edit. atleast one vevo video is in the mix that I have found so far. Just may take awhile I guess for them to be included. However it was from a vevo channel on you tube added in the last few days.

Edited by mshaw2715, 09 February 2011 - 08:27 PM.

#148 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:18 PM

Despite Doug's comments that it should be available for everyone, it clearly isn't. Is ANYONE out there running x452 software and able to access it? If so, is ANYONE running x452 on an HR-23 and have it working? Just wondering...

#149 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:20 PM

has anyone tried to play a video that contains an ad that plays before the video and/or an ad that shows at the bottom of the video after a few seconds.

#150 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:56 PM

I don't see you tube on either my HR22 or HR23 that are connected to the internet.

#151 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:52 PM

Those that are failing to get Youtube ..

Do you have the most recent software?

0x458 - HR20
0x457 - HR21/22/23, R22 & HR24-500
0x454 - HR24-100/200

Maybe this is the problem after all.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#152 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:01 PM

0x458 - HR20
0x454 - HR24-100/200

Nope. 0x452 from 12/14.

#153 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:25 PM

Sweet, can't wait to try

hmmmm, just checked my HR24-500 - I'm on 0X452 12/21

No scheduled upgrade date, lame

#154 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:30 PM

HR24-500's running 0x452 from December. YouTube is working fine. No DECA, unsupported MRV all hardwired. It is an option in Parental Controls on/off web videos. Using Google DNS 8.8.8.8 .

#155 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:51 PM

0x458 - HR20
0x454 - HR24-100/200

I got 0x454 on the 8th at 02:32 AM on my HR24/100 - I think I posted that already too.

Still no Youtube.

My unit is connected with DECA.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#156 OFFLINE   BobCA

BobCA

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:03 PM

Hope this helps someone....

I tried rebooting last night and again tonight to get "You Tube" to work.....no luck.
When I read a previous post here about allowing videos under parental controls, I ignored it. In my 15 years with DirecTV, I have never used parental controls.

When nothing else worked, I checked the setting to "allow videos" anyway and it was set to "block" (maybe by default, I've never set it.) I changed it, did a search for AAAAA, and You Tube is now active.

Update: the exact wording is "web videos", set it to ALLOW.

Edited by BobCA, 10 February 2011 - 12:04 AM.

#157 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:43 PM

I tried rebooting last night and again tonight to get "You Tube" to work.....no luck.
When I read a previous post here about allowing videos under parental controls, I ignored it. In my 15 years with DirecTV, I have never used parental controls.

When nothing else worked, I checked the setting to "allow videos" anyway and it was set to "block" (maybe by default, I've never set it.) I changed it, did a search for AAAAA, and You Tube is now active.

I don't even see this as a choice on my menu listing under parental controls. Where do you find "Allow videos"? My HR20 rec'd the 458 software last night,still no youtube. My HR21 has 457 and youtube works on it.

#158 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:51 PM

I checked my settings, but I cannot find an "allow video" setting anywhere on my HR24/100.

As for parental controls, I have not enabled it and probably never will.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#159 OFFLINE   BobCA

BobCA

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:01 AM

I don't even see this as a choice on my menu listing under parental controls. Where do you find "Allow videos"? My HR20 rec'd the 458 software last night,still no youtube. My HR21 has 457 and youtube works on it.

I just double checked...under parental controls the setting is called "web videos" (more exact wording) and should be set to "allow".

#160 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:16 AM

I just double checked...under parental controls the setting is called "web videos" (more exact wording) and should be set to "allow".

It is NOT there. I bet ya though it will be there when youtube finally works.... :D

I am going to reboot my unit one more time..... maybe, just maybe THIS time it will work.

I am the Stig.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...