Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Playing MKV files on my Sony Blu Ray

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   philmalik

philmalik

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:02 PM

Just bought a Sony Blu Ray 570 player.

I notice the unit can play mkv files on a USB memory stick but it won't recongize or even see mkv files on my laptop that it sees on the wireless network even though it sees avi files in the same directory.

Was wondering if there was a way for the blu ray to see the mkv files on the laptop?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:08 PM

The S570 had no DLNA support when first released.

A firmware update last summer provided some DLNA support, but it's basically limited to one or two file formats.

So, I don't think you can get MKV to work via your laptop unless you use PlayOn or TVersity or something else.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   10david2

10david2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:06 AM

Well said Spartanstew! I have a 2 pen drives (4GB and 8GB) that I copy .MKVs to from the laptop and use them in the S570. Not the perfect solution, but I prefer that over transcoding. Seems like I have no quality loss that way.

#4 OFFLINE   philmalik

philmalik

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

I was using an old 2GB USB Memory stick. But, most of the mkvs are bigger than that.
for now, I'll buy a bigger pen drive. Nice and easier that way.

thanks for clearing that up.

#5 OFFLINE   philmalik

philmalik

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:11 PM

My friend at work mentioned that the max file size the Sony will see is 4 Gigs, no matter what size of storage the memory stick is. A lot of mkv files are bigger than 4 Gigs.

I am wondering if anyone else has used a memory stick with an MKV file larger than 4 Gigs.

(and is streaming the only option if this is the case)?

thanks

Protected By... spam firewall...And...