Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

vip622>HTIB>Projector=No Sound

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   festivus

festivus

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:24 AM

And I'm not sure why.

I got a blu-ray HTIB due to limited space in my cabinet and I didn't want to buy all new speakers. Limited funding.

Got this connected via HDMI. When I connect just the 622 to the HTIB I get the sound. When I connect the HTIB to the projector the video comes on but the sound goes away.

Am I experiencing a limitation with the HTIB in that it won't process the HDMI sound if it can't pass it through to the device? In this case the projector has no sound of course.

The HTIB is the LG LHB335 and the projector is a Sanyo PLVZ5. Thanks.

Edit: I got an answer from product support. I was right. If the hdmi out from the lhb335 is not connected to a device that can receive the audio, the lhb335 will not play audio either. A HUGE limitation of this device!

Edited by festivus, 10 February 2011 - 08:11 AM.

Panasonic TCP50S1 50 inch plasma in great room, Dish VIP622, Pioneer Surround System

Sanyo PLV-Z5 Projector in basement, 106 inch gray screen, 2nd Dish VIP622. LG Surround System

db2 antennna in attic for both VIP622s

Time Warner Roadrunner

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. ~Carl Sagan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:00 PM

If your HTIB has a digital input(coax or optical), you could always route the sound that way. Less than perfect, but workable.

#3 OFFLINE   festivus

festivus

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:38 PM

Yeah, I could do that but then I can do only either the HTIB or the vip622 through the hmdi. Then the other one needs to share the component with the xbox. Back to using the darn component switch. And I can't use it in auto mode because the vip622 sends video even when it's off and the HTIB constantly sends video when it's on, no matter the mode, I think.

Just ticks me off that I looked specifically for a HTIB that had an hdmi in/out and now I can't use it.
Panasonic TCP50S1 50 inch plasma in great room, Dish VIP622, Pioneer Surround System

Sanyo PLV-Z5 Projector in basement, 106 inch gray screen, 2nd Dish VIP622. LG Surround System

Time Warner Roadrunner

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. ~Carl Sagan

#4 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:46 AM

Some Sony AVRs have similar limitations. Crazy. I learned my lesson to not assume an AVR would pass the sound and read the manual before buying. I would never have even thought that is an issue.

#5 OFFLINE   festivus

festivus

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:31 AM

I knew that some systems didn't pass HDMI sound. I had no idea that there were any that would lose the sound if the hdmi out got connected to a projector. It's very vague in the manual too, not really spelled out.

I'm going to think about it over the weekend but I'm likely going to keep the unit anyway. The internet stuff on it is pretty cool and it sounds OK. Not super impressed with the bass though. I upped the bass output to 4 (can go up to 6 from 0) to compensate.

Nice avatar tucusta00. No soup for you!

Time Warner Roadrunner

Protected By... spam firewall...And...