Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV doesnt have same remote management features as DiSHTV DVR?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dishrox

dishrox

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:58 AM

Hi guys,

After being with Dish for more than 3 years, enjoying wonderful customer service, dirt cheap prices and wonderful DVR technology, I switched to DirecTV just for their MRV feature. However, I today found out that DirecTV is years behind DISH's DVR in terms of remote management. All those ads that DirecTV shows about remotely scheduling recordings etc, made me feel cheated.

Let me explain my current understanding and maybe experts here can debunk any of my misunderstandings, if any.

On Dish, I can remotely schedule recordings. It is as full featured as sitting in front of my DVR. It shows todays schedule, shows conflicts, allows me to schedule new recordings, shows any new conflicts, lets me resolve conflicts manually, skip recordings, shows me "record" status icon on the guide itself.

On Direct, all I can do is click on a program in the guide and say "record". It doesnt show me on the guide itself if a program is already scheduled for recording, or if there is any conflict or let me resolve a conflict. Doesnt show me today's recording schedule, any skips, any conflicts or even when I click record on a program, doesnt show me if its already scheduled for recording. Basically, its a one-trick pony.

On Dish, I can remotely manage my DVR disk space. It shows me whats already recorded and lets me delete, keep and manage disk space. Its extremely useful esp when I am traveling and I can decided on a daily basis what to keep and what to delete to manage my space till I return home.

On Direct, Nothing, Nada, no sir, sorry, nothing like that.

What gives? Feel totally cheated. I would rather get a Dish DVR with no MRV capability than this.

Experts ... please pitch in and educate and newbie.

Regards

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:09 AM

You'll get used to it. There is technically actually no need to have remote management. I feel the only reason D* has this feature is if you forget to schedule a recording. Remember, D* MAY add the full remote management feature in the future. My Personal Opinion: I would now go CRAZY without MRV, so that is a winner for D*
R22-200 (HD)
(3) HR24-500

R22's are NOT Worthless:)
Yes, I know I can't spell:grin:

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:09 AM

What gives? Feel totally cheated. I would rather get a Dish DVR with no MRV capability than this.

You are right in all your statements...
But this one has me perplexed.

You find more value in managing your recordings, when you are away from home.... then being able to watch those recordings in any room in your house (that has a TV and BOX) ?

How often are you modifying your recordings remotely? VS actually watching them?

As to feeling cheated... DIRECTV has never stated that we had those, and the feature set of our mobile apps is very well documented.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   dishrox

dishrox

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:52 AM

Yes, MRV is awesome! Actually, I love how easy it is that you dont need extra cabling. Maybe my expectations for DirecTV were too high. But anyone who has used Dish remote access knows how good it is. Amazingly full loaded with features.

As for MRV over remote access, I have two HD tvs, and we watch only one of them at any given time. So even though I love the convenience of MRV, Dish dual tuner receiver has more value and features for me, albeit the signal on second tv is SD. If and when Dish gives an HD signal on the second TV, that will beat DirecTV MRV for me.

If and when I get more than 2 HDTVs, DirecTV MRV does more for me than Dish dual tuner.

But it was a severe disappointment to see the DirecTV hype about remotely scheduling DVR recordings when Dish has a product (remoteaccess) thats definitely way better. I guess, thats marketing.

#5 OFFLINE   djousma

djousma

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:46 PM

Hi guys,

After being with Dish for more than 3 years, enjoying wonderful customer service, dirt cheap prices and wonderful DVR technology, I switched to DirecTV just for their MRV feature. (snip)

Yes, MRV is awesome! Actually, I love how easy it is that you dont need extra cabling. Maybe my expectations for DirecTV were too high. But anyone who has used Dish remote access knows how good it is. Amazingly full loaded with features.

As for MRV over remote access, I have two HD tvs, and we watch only one of them at any given time. So even though I love the convenience of MRV, Dish dual tuner receiver has more value and features for me, albeit the signal on second tv is SD. If and when Dish gives an HD signal on the second TV, that will beat DirecTV MRV for me.

If and when I get more than 2 HDTVs, DirecTV MRV does more for me than Dish dual tuner. (snip)

You are talking in circles. Not sure why you bothered switching.

Setup

• Slimline Dish connected to SWM-16
  • Whole home DVR with DECA
  • HR44-500 connected via HDMI to 52" Sharp Aquos LC52D62U
  • HR24-500 connected via HDMI to 42" LG LCD
  • HR20-700 connected via HDMI to 32" Panasonic TC-L32X1
  • Apple Airport Extreme
  • 30/5 Charter Cable

#6 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

If you need better remote scheduling NOW why not look into getting a Slinbox for one of the receivers, at least you'd have full access to that box for setting up recordings plus you'd be able to view video from it.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#7 OFFLINE   dishrox

dishrox

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:06 PM

I switched for MRV, hoping that DirecTV already has a equivalent remote DVR management feature.

I guess the lack of a full featured remote DVR manager is an irritation than a show stopper. Also, I can appreciate MRV and still want some other feature with higher preference, cant I? :)

Anyhow, since I already concluded with confidence, with help form this forum, that DirecTV has no equivalent full featured remote DVR manager, this thread has served its purpose.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I may get HD signals on two different TVs (only one active at any given time) with Dish dual tuner DVR, I would really appreciate it. But from my research so far, not possible without doing one of the following:

1) Run an HDMI or component cable from family room to bed room - not feasible for me at the moment
2) Get an SD TV for bed room - I already have Coax running from family room to the bed room - possible
3) Get some expensive equipment to run HDMI over coax - may not be worth the cost

In conclusion, thanks guys for all the info. I tried to mark this thread as "solved"/"closed" .. but cant seem to do so.

#8 OFFLINE   dishrox

dishrox

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:15 PM

If you need better remote scheduling NOW why not look into getting a Slinbox for one of the receivers, at least you'd have full access to that box for setting up recordings plus you'd be able to view video from it.

Another device .. another cable ... another power socket .. I like integrated devices than multiple devices. So that trumps my need to do remote dvr management.

Ideally, one device to watch/record/manage DVR on at least two HD TVs. One device, one power socket, one sat cable. I am sure all you guys want that too.

#9 OFFLINE   kmcnamara

kmcnamara

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:15 PM

You'll get used to it. There is technically actually no need to have remote management.

I wish people like you would stop saying that. How do you know what I need? I also switched from Dish last October and had the same unfortunate realization as the OP. You must not have been with Dish before because the remote capability is awesome.

I have a slingbox so some of those problems are mitigated for me, but because they haven't extended MRV to allow access to all events on all DVR's, I can only manipulate the DVR that's connected to the slingbox, not the others.

Just because you see no need for it doesn't mean other people shouldn't.

Hopper w/ Sling, Hopper 2000, 1 Joey

#10 OFFLINE   dishrox

dishrox

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:30 PM

You must not have been with Dish before because the remote capability is awesome.

True. I used it in its infancy and then when they enhanced it. Its absolutely amazing and DirecTV making so much fuss about scheduling from anywhere is just plain stupid. I wonder why Dish is not pushing its remoteaccess feature at all.

Just to give a few examples of how convenient it is:
1) You realize "House" will run over its time slot this evening by 5 mins. Log in, extend the time
2) You go on a vacation or trip. Remotely manage disk space, recordings so you can keep your favs and skip what you like to
3) You just saw a web ad for an interesting program for tonight, log in, set recording, resolve conflicts
4) You just saw a web ad for a program, log in, set up series, resolve conflicts.

Without this, I have to either run home to extend recording, or make a calendar note to setup some recording after I go home.

Once you use it, you will miss it for sure.

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:31 PM

I haven't really kept up with Nomad, but isn't this basically what the coming iPad app will do? Obviously that's not a complete solution if it will be iPad only. Even if you couldn't play back video, the rest of the features on Blackberry, iPhone, Touch, Android etc would be killer.

#12 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:39 PM

Everyone has different needs.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've used remote scheduling at all and that's only because I travel every week and there's been a couple of times that I've forgot to schedule a new show that was premiering.

I have no need for anything more advanced than what D* currently has and could even do without that implementation if I needed to.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#13 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:45 PM

Just to give a few examples of how convenient it is:
1) You realize "House" will run over its time slot this evening by 5 mins. Log in, extend the time
2) You go on a vacation or trip. Remotely manage disk space, recordings so you can keep your favs and skip what you like to
3) You just saw a web ad for an interesting program for tonight, log in, set recording, resolve conflicts
4) You just saw a web ad for a program, log in, set up series, resolve conflicts.

1.) Sign on directv.com & record the show after House.
2.) Do it before you go or add a 2TB eSATA drive.
3.) Sign on directv.com & set to "definitely record" the show.
4.) Sign on directv.com & set to "definitely record" the show and add series recording...prioritize it later.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#14 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:46 PM

Hey dishrox, quick question..... how is the picture quality (HD only) of D* as compared to Dishnet?

Hidfe2010

#15 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:48 PM

...If anyone has any suggestions on how I may get HD signals on two different TVs (only one active at any given time) with Dish dual tuner DVR, I would really appreciate it. But from my research so far, not possible without doing one of the following:

1) Run an HDMI or component cable from family room to bed room - not feasible for me at the moment
2) Get an SD TV for bed room - I already have Coax running from family room to the bed room - possible
3) Get some expensive equipment to run HDMI over coax - may not be worth the cost

In conclusion, thanks guys for all the info. I tried to mark this thread as "solved"/"closed" .. but cant seem to do so.

I have another solution, but not sure what your definition of expensive is. I did it for about $65 using 100 ft cat 6 cable, a powered HDMI splitter and some HDMI wall plates. If your interested in more details, let me know. By not adding an extra DVR, I basically broke even on the cost of the mirroring fee in a year.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#16 OFFLINE   dishrox

dishrox

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:01 PM

Hey dishrox, quick question..... how is the picture quality (HD only) of D* as compared to Dishnet?

I have not found significant difference.

One thing I did find better in dish was the program guide. You can set it up for widescreen TVs, shows more content. AFAIK, DirecTV doesnt seem to have that. But I cant say for sure if the time duration shown in Dish wide screen program guide is more than what DirecTV shows by default.

But DirecTV seems to have the "on demand" feature now for most channels. And its probably using my broadband to download the content. Dish has the same "on demand" feature but didnt have as much selection as DirecTV. And both D's fail miserably compared to comcast "on demand" library. But thats besides the point.

#17 OFFLINE   dishrox

dishrox

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:09 PM

1.) Sign on directv.com & record the show after House.
2.) Do it before you go or add a 2TB eSATA drive.
3.) Sign on directv.com & set to "definitely record" the show.
4.) Sign on directv.com & set to "definitely record" the show and add series recording...prioritize it later.

My response would be

Why do you even MRV? Just use an SD TV in your second room or stop watching that much TV! :D

Everyone has their preferences. What you are suggesting is not the same was what I want just like what you want is not the same as what I am suggesting.

1) Sign on directv.com & record the show after House. - maybe. what if there is a conflict and I dont care about the show after House. Dish RA lets me configure recording as I want, including starting late.

2.) Do it before you go or add a 2TB eSATA drive - Yes. And I do it before I leave when possible. The whole point of remote access is convenience. Plus, I will gladly add a 2TB drive as soon as you buy me one. :P

3.) Sign on directv.com & set to "definitely record" the show. - manage conflicts?

4.) Sign on directv.com & set to "definitely record" the show and add series recording...prioritize it later. - key point being - "later"

#18 OFFLINE   dishrox

dishrox

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

Just to clarify, this thread is not to flame anyone or Dish or DirecTV or to encourage one over the other.

I like Dish RA and I like MRV. Ideally, I want both. :)

#19 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,282 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:14 PM

Uh, guys, you see the username of the guy you are discussing this with?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#20 OFFLINE   dishrox

dishrox

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:16 PM

Uh, guys, you see the username of the guy you are discussing this with?

lol ... thats how I create my usernames everywhere. easy to remember. I got my complaints about Dish as well. :lol:

spam firewall