Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV doesnt have same remote management features as DiSHTV DVR?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,348 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:26 PM

Plus, if I had moved from cable even to Dish, I'd think Dish rocked as well. Besides, it's not like it's easy to change your username. In fact, I don't believe a user can change their own with vBulletin, a mod has to do it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:27 PM

Last month I saw a coworker using the Dish remote manager, and I must admit I was impressed with it (and a bit jealous).

#23 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

Plus, if I had moved from cable even to Dish, I'd think Dish rocked as well. Besides, it's not like it's easy to change your username. In fact, I don't believe a user can change their own with vBulletin, a mod has to do it.

I searched, and it seems like 'directvrox' is available. :D

#24 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:32 PM

a mod has to do it.

I believe only Chris or David can do it.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#25 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:43 PM

Just to clarify, this thread is not to flame anyone or Dish or DirecTV or to encourage one over the other.

I like Dish RA and I like MRV. Ideally, I want both. :)

Supposedly Dish will have MRV in a few months (that's "soon" in DirecTV forum speak).

There is a very cool iPad app for remote control of DirecTV boxes. Check out the CE forum.

Having had both, there are things about D* that I miss:
- MRV
- DLB is idiot-proof. I'm always losing my buffer on Dish no matter how careful I am.
- Recording is super easy. On D* you just press one or more times and you're done. With Dish it's always a multi-step process.
- Program info is very detailed and searchable. Dish gives you a 2 or 3 sentence blurb and that's it.

Otherwise I'm much happier with Dish.

#26 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:50 PM

True. I used it in its infancy and then when they enhanced it. Its absolutely amazing and DirecTV making so much fuss about scheduling from anywhere is just plain stupid. I wonder why Dish is not pushing its remoteaccess feature at all.

Just to give a few examples of how convenient it is:
1) You realize "House" will run over its time slot this evening by 5 mins. Log in, extend the time
2) You go on a vacation or trip. Remotely manage disk space, recordings so you can keep your favs and skip what you like to
3) You just saw a web ad for an interesting program for tonight, log in, set recording, resolve conflicts
4) You just saw a web ad for a program, log in, set up series, resolve conflicts.

Without this, I have to either run home to extend recording, or make a calendar note to setup some recording after I go home.

Once you use it, you will miss it for sure.

IMHO, the Directv DVR model is much more reliable when it comes to auto-padding the episode run-overs, first-runs that are moved to different or expanded time-slot(s) and actually getting those last 20 seconds of the recordings that Dish annoyingly misses and forces the user to pad shows and resolve the conflicts that the model creates.

Been there, done that! My frequent complaints to Dish about stop/start times of scheduled season passes and missed scheduling for out-of-norm time-slots or bonus episodes were ignored by Dish (as least for me, going back to May, 2009). The prioritizer in the Directv DVR handles more conflicts without user intervention. I can set "House" as a Series Link and forget it. A most recent example of a hindrance was when Tribune had an error in the guide which caused a lot of Directv's HD-DVRs to schedule "Fringe" the following night because the "HDTV" identifier was missing. Scheduling a day later was a minor inconvenience but the episode was not missed and many of us knew the source of the issue but the HD-DVR was able to resolve the issue on its own.

Would I like more scheduling access? Yes! And maybe it's being addressed by APP and HD-DVR f/w. I'm hoping that Directv will continue to expand DLNA compatibility to include current DLNA devices, not just upcoming new RVU alliance devices. I haven't gotten heavily involved with IP access (none beyond my desktop PC) but it's there for those with the toys and the inclination. I'm viewing from a distance to see which device/APP/price-point suits me.

#27 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,265 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:56 PM

Supposedly Dish will have MRV in a few months (that's "soon" in DirecTV forum speak).

There is a very cool iPad app for remote control of DirecTV boxes. Check out the CE forum.

Having had both, there are things about D* that I miss:
- MRV
- DLB is idiot-proof. I'm always losing my buffer on Dish no matter how careful I am.
- Recording is super easy. On D* you just press one or more times and you're done. With Dish it's always a multi-step process.
- Program info is very detailed and searchable. Dish gives you a 2 or 3 sentence blurb and that's it.

Otherwise I'm much happier with Dish.

Actually, there is a thread here with a link to a web page in the General DIRECTV forums that allows for remote ip control of your HDDVR's! It works good and is pretty handy.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#28 OFFLINE   dishrox

dishrox

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:21 PM

ok, I just scheduled a recording on Jeopardy from the DVR scheduler on DirecTV web site to record the episodes when Watson is competing.

http://video.pbs.org...tarttime=916000

At least I wish they showed on the scheduler which programs are scheduled.

Guys, all said and done, Dish remote access is a very useful tool. I wish every tv provider had it.

#29 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,237 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:24 PM

ok, I just scheduled a recording on Jeopardy from the DVR scheduler on DirecTV web site to record the episodes when Watson is competing.

Guys, all said and done, Dish remote access is a very useful tool. I wish every tv provider had it.

If you pull up the Guide and a show is scheduled to record, it will have the R or R)) symbol next to it.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#30 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,016 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:24 PM

I haven't used the DirecTV website for remote recording since I got my Android phone, I don't know how well the apps work for the other Smart phones but this one works great and it's super fast. You can see something you want to record and pop it up on your phone in no time.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#31 OFFLINE   dishrox

dishrox

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

I haven't used the DirecTV website for remote recording since I got my Android phone, I don't know how well the apps work for the other Smart phones but this one works great and it's super fast. You can see something you want to record and pop it up on your phone in no time.

Yep, app is pretty cool. doesnt show recording status though you can set recordings.

#32 OFFLINE   dishrox

dishrox

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

If you pull up the Guide and a show is scheduled to record, it will have the R or R)) symbol next to it.

- Merg

Are you referring to the guide on the STB or on the web site? web site doesnt show. STB is fine.

#33 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 853 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:03 PM

Actually, there is a thread here with a link to a web page in the General DIRECTV forums that allows for remote ip control of your HDDVR's! It works good and is pretty handy.

That app can only be used when you are on the same network as the DVR so it wouldn't really be useful for remote access.

#34 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:49 PM

What I don't understand is you seemed to be under the impression that DirecTV had RA features like Dish and like Earl pointed out, DirecTV does not and never has marketed such features or claim to have them. So you should have known coming in that DirecTV was missing a feature that Dish has that you counted on.

#35 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,678 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:13 PM

Sounds like Dish is closer to replaytvs old system they implemented many years ago... I am sad that Directv doesn't have that as well, but I think the ipad ap is the first step toward getting it, along with the nomad.. AT least thats what I hoped.. Full remote access is better than what Directv has now, but then, what directv does offer now is a simple and fast solution, that is probably what 95% of their customers would actually use, where as I wonder how many people would actually use full access...

#36 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,237 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:30 PM

Are you referring to the guide on the STB or on the web site? web site doesnt show. STB is fine.

Was referring to the STB, which I thought is what to which you were referring. If you were referring to the on-line Guide, then yes, there is no indication there.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#37 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,265 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:30 PM

That app can only be used when you are on the same network as the DVR so it wouldn't really be useful for remote access.

Very true. That website wouldn't be good for remote management of your DVR's.

The post I quoted talked about using an iPad as a remote and my answer was in response to that. :)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#38 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:06 PM

This thread has some thoughts going....

I too regret everytime i pull out a dishnet system, i mostly install directv. Today was another one. they had a 722 in single mode and a 612. The 612 is pretty comparable to the hr24-500, being thats it dual tuner for one HD tv.

We swapped them out to a hr24-500 with a h24-700 with MRV, oh wow i never realized those "older" folks knew what they were doing. The sales guy told them Directv's mrv will do everything their dish system does.....wow it doesnt even come CLOSE!!! First they lost 2 recording tuners, so that was bad, they lost priority list and just the general list of timers altogether, that was worse, they also lost the ability to stretch the local channels (only available in HD and is an Mpeg4 market) and they didnt like that either being that half the shows on locals are still SD during the day. Apparently they have 4 shows recording every night at 7 or 8 o clock.

I ended up having them buy another hr24-500 to replace the h24-700, and they didnt want mrv as he didnt want to see her shows and vice versa. So they were almost at where they were but still lost those 3 or 4 other MAIN features they used daily.

Directv is still way behind in general for user friendliness and features.

#39 OFFLINE   blaqhauq

blaqhauq

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:02 AM

I like the features that the D* iPhone has. Even for the casual use I need it for, it comes in handy when out and forgot to set a recording or you hear something you want to record, while out, but you know you'll forget to set it when you get home. Also the search feature is great. I switched from comcast after working for them as a installer for 11 years and spinal injuries and multiple spinal sugeries led to my firing, lawsuit there. All they tried to do is brainwash the techs into bad mouthing any dish service to customers. The fact is they knew D* is way better and by far does not nickel and dime you for every single thing you have. Comcast charges 18 bucks per Dvr and another 20 a month just for mvr also 12 per hd box. If I had everything I have with D* on comcrap it would cost about 300 a month. Instead I pay 85 for the first year and the 130. I am a D* subscriber for life. Also where else can I get a great looking Pittsburgh steelers remote, I love my steelers remote.

#40 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,889 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:55 AM

This thread has some thoughts going....

I too regret everytime i pull out a dishnet system, i mostly install directv. Today was another one. they had a 722 in single mode and a 612. The 612 is pretty comparable to the hr24-500, being thats it dual tuner for one HD tv.

We swapped them out to a hr24-500 with a h24-700 with MRV, oh wow i never realized those "older" folks knew what they were doing. The sales guy told them Directv's mrv will do everything their dish system does.....wow it doesnt even come CLOSE!!! ...

Given that dish does not have MRV, at least not one comparable to DirecTV's. I assume that the sales guy meant "a DirecTV system with MRV will do everything their dish system will do?"

First they lost 2 recording tuners, so that was bad, ...

Well in the reverse if I moved from having two DVRs with DirecTV to dish with a DVR and STB receiver, wouldn't I lose two recording tuners as well?

they lost priority list and just the general list of timers altogether, ...

Not exactly sure what these "general list of timers" are, but DirecTV DVRs also have recording prioritizers.

... that was worse, they also lost the ability to stretch the local channels (only available in HD and is an Mpeg4 market) and they didnt like that either being that half the shows on locals are still SD during the day. Apparently they have 4 shows recording every night at 7 or 8 o clock.

Now granted this may be a problem for subscribers in the Ka band/MPEG-4 only local markets who don't like pillar-boxing. But while stretching and zooming in on an HD image is inflexible if allowed at all on many HDTV sets, a lot have a setting that will at least do a fixed zoom on the picture enough to eliminate the pillar bars on up-converted 4:3 material and is better than stretch-o-vision IMO, even with the slight loss of PQ from zooming.

On my Samsung HDTV for instance it's called "Wide Fit." Did you check to see what TV display settings these customer's sets may have had to help in this situation?

... I ended up having them buy another hr24-500 to replace the h24-700, and they didnt want mrv as he didnt want to see her shows and vice versa. So they were almost at where they were but still lost those 3 or 4 other MAIN features they used daily.

You could have told them its still a very convenient feature to have anyway in case they changed their minds or have situations where they would want to stream recorded shows between their boxes.

I mean they don't have to use it if they do not wish to and may turn off the "Unified Playlist" to show only their local recordings on their separate boxes.

... Directv is still way behind in general for user friendliness and features.

Can't say as I agree with your assessments here, but to each his own I suppose.

spam firewall