Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV doesnt have same remote management features as DiSHTV DVR?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:03 AM

I like the features that the D* iPhone has. Even for the casual use I need it for, it comes in handy when out and forgot to set a recording or you hear something you want to record, while out, but you know you'll forget to set it when you get home. Also the search feature is great. I switched from comcast after working for them as a installer for 11 years and spinal injuries and multiple spinal sugeries led to my firing, lawsuit there. All they tried to do is brainwash the techs into bad mouthing any dish service to customers. The fact is they knew D* is way better and by far does not nickel and dime you for every single thing you have. Comcast charges 18 bucks per Dvr and another 20 a month just for mvr also 12 per hd box. If I had everything I have with D* on comcrap it would cost about 300 a month. Instead I pay 85 for the first year and the 130. I am a D* subscriber for life. Also where else can I get a great looking Pittsburgh steelers remote, I love my steelers remote.

Yeah ...

And to add comical insult to injury I understand Comcast even charges right down to a small rental fee on the remote control ... :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   kmcnamara

kmcnamara

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:18 PM

GNot exactly sure what these "general list of timers" are, but DirecTV DVRs also have recording prioritizers.

I believe that refers to a common list of upcoming recording events which can be viewed on all TV's. Right now, MRV allows you to see the combined list of recordings, but not a combined list of upcoming recordings. If D* would add that, MRV would be much improved IMO. I hope they're working on it. It's frustrating to be downstairs at one DVR and wonder if I've got an event scheduled on the upstairs DVR.

Hopper w/ Sling, Hopper 2000, 1 Joey

#43 OFFLINE   dishrox

dishrox

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:23 PM

I just realized, no pause / buffer on the second receiver. This seriously pisses me off.

#44 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:29 PM

I just realized, no pause / buffer on the second receiver. This seriously pisses me off.

Well, it's not a DVR. Can a non DVR on Dish pause and buffer? No.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#45 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:34 PM

I believe that the Dish HD DVRs can be set to show 3 hours by 6 channels with P.I.G.

That would equate to seeing the networks entire evening schedule on one screen.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#46 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,565 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:35 PM

Well, it's not a DVR. Can a non DVR on Dish pause and buffer? No.

Not even when it is converted to a DVR by adding a USB 2.0 hard drive can it do trick play stuff.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#47 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:34 PM

Well in the reverse if I moved from having two DVRs with DirecTV to dish with a DVR and STB receiver, wouldn't I lose two recording tuners as well?

This isnt really the situation. Direct offers 1 free HD DVR, dish offers up to 3 HD dvrs for free, no cost. I personally have 4 DVRS with dish, 4 boxes, running 6 seperate tvs. So basically it costs $150 to add a second dvr to direct.....well thats what my retailer charges anyway, they did have a promo for like a week at the end of summer that the 2nd dvr was $50 but that was short lived. So going to free stuff to pay for equipment is the deal breaker.

Not exactly sure what these "general list of timers" are, but DirecTV DVRs also have recording prioritizers.

The dish list shows all your dvr recordings, upcoming and the priority on a scale from 1-100, also have a screen showing which programs are not recording due to rerun or priority has skipped them. Theres about 4 main screens of info that direct doesnt even come close to offer, its basically all by memory on direct and if someone else setup a recording other than you all you can do i browse the guide through 300 channels for the upcoming week to see whats going to be recorded or not. Big FAIL on Directs part.

Now granted this may be a problem for subscribers in the Ka band/MPEG-4 only local markets who don't like pillar-boxing. But while stretching and zooming in on an HD image is inflexible if allowed at all on many HDTV sets, a lot have a setting that will at least do a fixed zoom on the picture enough to eliminate the pillar bars on up-converted 4:3 material and is better than stretch-o-vision IMO, even with the slight loss of PQ from zooming.

both of thier tvs had a cinestretch, but that involves chaning that per show, per hour, per day back and forth between HD broadcast in widescreen and then SD broadcast with black bars that the receiver wont stretch at all even in original mode like it would stretch on a non local and SD channel.

On my Samsung HDTV for instance it's called "Wide Fit." Did you check to see what TV display settings these customer's sets may have had to help in this situation?

This mode does cut off vital info when doing this on a local with SD broadcast with black bars, it ends up cutting off the snow cancellations and other vital info

You could have told them its still a very convenient feature to have anyway in case they changed their minds or have situations where they would want to stream recorded shows between their boxes.

they wanted them completely seperated so they had me cancel MRV, he didnt want to see the crap she recorded and vice versa, they wanted it to be just like dish

Can't say as I agree with your assessments here, but to each his own I suppose.

Its not really to each his own, its just a major lacking of direct with not the setup but management of recordings. HUGE FAIL!! YOu cant really bring your side in on the subject if you dont know how both systems work.

#48 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:46 PM

The dish list shows all your dvr recordings, upcoming and the priority on a scale from 1-100, also have a screen showing which programs are not recording due to rerun or priority has skipped them. Theres about 4 main screens of info that direct doesnt even come close to offer, its basically all by memory on direct and if someone else setup a recording other than you all you can do i browse the guide through 300 channels for the upcoming week to see whats going to be recorded or not. Big FAIL on Directs part.

What??????? The 'To-Do List' tells exactly what's recording for the next 2 weeks. 'Manage Recordings' is pretty thorough.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#49 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:19 PM

Dude...it's called the "To Do List" which has all this info for you on DirecTV. Same thing that Tivo had. Been there since day one.

#50 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:16 AM

This isnt really the situation. Direct offers 1 free HD DVR, dish offers up to 3 HD dvrs for free, no cost. I personally have 4 DVRS with dish, 4 boxes, running 6 seperate tvs. So basically it costs $150 to add a second dvr to direct.....well thats what my retailer charges anyway, they did have a promo for like a week at the end of summer that the 2nd dvr was $50 but that was short lived. So going to free stuff to pay for equipment is the deal breaker. ...

You mean dish offers up to three of their HD DVRs free of charge to new subscribers, even their best ones? :eek2:

So if I asked for say three 922s or 922Ks free of charge to sign up, dish will provide them?

If so then I will certainly give dish their due props for that over DirecTV. :gott:

... The dish list shows all your dvr recordings, upcoming and the priority on a scale from 1-100, also have a screen showing which programs are not recording due to rerun or priority has skipped them. Theres about 4 main screens of info that direct doesnt even come close to offer, its basically all by memory on direct and if someone else setup a recording other than you all you can do i browse the guide through 300 channels for the upcoming week to see whats going to be recorded or not. Big FAIL on Directs part

As others have already responded, the "To Do List" which DirecTV has featured for years on their DVRs combined with the "Series Manager," and I would add the "History" list can more than supply all of this above.

... both of thier tvs had a cinestretch, but that involves chaning that per show, per hour, per day back and forth between HD broadcast in widescreen and then SD broadcast with black bars that the receiver wont stretch at all even in original mode like it would stretch on a non local and SD channel.

OK, I'll admit its not the best solution for those in the MPEG-4 only markets who have an aversion to pillar-boxing. But before I become overly critical of DirecTV for this, does dish always supply both HD channels and an SD mirror to all their local markets?

... This mode does cut off vital info when doing this on a local with SD broadcast with black bars, it ends up cutting off the snow cancellations and other vital info

I don't really see this happen on my Wide Fit setting if the station properly positions any pertinent graphic info. in the 4:3 safe area. Even with the guide up the slight vertical and horizontal cropping that results does not really cut off any information.

... They wanted them completely seperated so they had me cancel MRV, he didnt want to see the crap she recorded and vice versa, they wanted it to be just like dish

Then I must say I'm confused as to why they chose to leave dish to begin with. :confused:

And did you explain to them that even with MRV this sort of isolation may be accomplished at option by simply electing to display only the local playlist on each box?

Or that MRV may be essentially disabled altogether by turning off playlist sharing?

... Its not really to each his own, its just a major lacking of direct with not the setup but management of recordings. HUGE FAIL!! YOu cant really bring your side in on the subject if you dont know how both systems work.

But I certainly can speak about criticisms of DirecTV as a sub. since '95. and I can't honestly say any of these are really "hugh failings."

Though as I said, I will give dish their just kudos for offering up to three free HD DVRs to new subs. if true.

#51 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,580 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:29 AM

You mean dish offers up to three of their HD DVRs free of charge to new subscribers, even their best ones? :eek2:

So if I asked for say three 922s or 922Ks free of charge to sign up, dish will provide them?

The 922 is special ... there is an extra lease fee of $199 and one can only lease ONE.
Additional 922s must be purchased.

Only the first HD DVR (other than a 922) is free ... additional DVRs are $99 each (lease).
HD receivers are the same price as SD receivers. One can get three HD receivers free ... one can be a DVR at no additional cost.

(If one needs to verify this, simply run through the options in DISH's cart.)

OK, I'll admit its not the best solution for those in the MPEG-4 only markets who have an aversion to pillar-boxing. But before I become overly critical of DirecTV for this, does dish always supply both HD channels and an SD mirror to all their local markets?

DISH provides only the HD version of local channels carried in HD for customers on the "Eastern Arc" (61.5-72.7-77) satellites. When a local is upgraded from SD to HD the SD is turned off. The "Western Arc" (119-110-129) is still used by SD only equipment so the SDs remain up in MPEG2 for most of the markets on "Western Arc".

"Eastern Arc" is MPEG4 only ... every receiver on the account must be MPEG4 - so there is no need for the SD locals as every receiver can get the HD version (and HD locals are included even if a customer does not subscribe to a HD package). For non-local channels DISH is still transmitting the SD versions even on the MPEG4 Eastern Arc.

#52 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:10 AM

You'll get used to it. There is technically actually no need to have remote management. I feel the only reason D* has this feature is if you forget to schedule a recording. Remember, D* MAY add the full remote management feature in the future. My Personal Opinion: I would now go CRAZY without MRV, so that is a winner for D*

One can use the same argument about anything, there is technically actually no need to have a DVR as one can watch the show. Convenience, impulse and laziness are three good reasons I have used to remotely program my DVRs. I may be away from home base when I learn about an upcoming program, for example the new Larry the Cable guy program on History. He was promoting the show on XM radio and when I got to work I was able to use my Android app to program my dvr. During the Hockey All star game my son was visiting his Mom. He called and asked me to set the all star game on his DVR. I was able to do it from my chair downstair, rather than having to go to his bedroom to program the DVR.

Wether one needs all the features the OP is requesting, I don't know. I certainly don't however I can respect the OP's need.

spam firewall