Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV doesnt have same remote management features as DiSHTV DVR?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:29 AM

You mean dish offers up to three of their HD DVRs free of charge to new subscribers, even their best ones? :eek2:

So if I asked for say three 922s or 922Ks free of charge to sign up, dish will provide them?

The 922 is special ... there is an extra lease fee of $199 and one can only lease ONE.
Additional 922s must be purchased.

Only the first HD DVR (other than a 922) is free ... additional DVRs are $99 each (lease).
HD receivers are the same price as SD receivers. One can get three HD receivers free ... one can be a DVR at no additional cost.

(If one needs to verify this, simply run through the options in DISH's cart.)

OK, I'll admit its not the best solution for those in the MPEG-4 only markets who have an aversion to pillar-boxing. But before I become overly critical of DirecTV for this, does dish always supply both HD channels and an SD mirror to all their local markets?

DISH provides only the HD version of local channels carried in HD for customers on the "Eastern Arc" (61.5-72.7-77) satellites. When a local is upgraded from SD to HD the SD is turned off. The "Western Arc" (119-110-129) is still used by SD only equipment so the SDs remain up in MPEG2 for most of the markets on "Western Arc".

"Eastern Arc" is MPEG4 only ... every receiver on the account must be MPEG4 - so there is no need for the SD locals as every receiver can get the HD version (and HD locals are included even if a customer does not subscribe to a HD package). For non-local channels DISH is still transmitting the SD versions even on the MPEG4 Eastern Arc.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 352 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:10 AM

You'll get used to it. There is technically actually no need to have remote management. I feel the only reason D* has this feature is if you forget to schedule a recording. Remember, D* MAY add the full remote management feature in the future. My Personal Opinion: I would now go CRAZY without MRV, so that is a winner for D*

One can use the same argument about anything, there is technically actually no need to have a DVR as one can watch the show. Convenience, impulse and laziness are three good reasons I have used to remotely program my DVRs. I may be away from home base when I learn about an upcoming program, for example the new Larry the Cable guy program on History. He was promoting the show on XM radio and when I got to work I was able to use my Android app to program my dvr. During the Hockey All star game my son was visiting his Mom. He called and asked me to set the all star game on his DVR. I was able to do it from my chair downstair, rather than having to go to his bedroom to program the DVR.

Wether one needs all the features the OP is requesting, I don't know. I certainly don't however I can respect the OP's need.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...