Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA guide issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hahler2

hahler2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:57 PM

In my area the OTA stations that I receive are satellite feeds of the locals that Dish network carries. So it's the same content, but since the channel names are slightly different, I get zero guide info. All it says in the guide is the station name.

For instance, my ABC local on Dish is KSFY out of Sioux Falls, SD. My OTA ABC is KABY out of Aberdeen, SD.

Is there someone I can report this to and get it fixed or am I SOL? It wouldn't be a big deal except that I have a 922 so there's no way to do manual recordings. So basically my OTA tuner card is useless because I can't schedule any recordings on it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:58 PM

Do you sub to locals on your Dish account? If not you won't get OTA guide data.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#3 OFFLINE   hahler2

hahler2

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:23 PM

Yes I subscribe to my dish locals. As I said though my ota feeds show the same feed as my satellite local, but have different station names so dish doesn't show their guide data.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,717 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:15 AM

It sounds like you are receiving different OTA stations than what Dish delivers via SAT for your DMA.

IF Dish doesn't carry those other OTA stations, that would explain the lack of EPG data.

If you can mention specific stations for which you are not receiving EPG data... post that info and someone here can probably see if Dish carries those channels in any market.

Dish does supplement EPG data (especially for sub channels) but doesn't have data for all OTA stations that it does not carry via SAT yet.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   hahler2

hahler2

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:53 AM

Ok. When I get a chance I will get all the info that's needed and post it and see if someone can help me out. Do I need to start a new thread or can I add it in this one?

If Dish doesn't carry the info for my OTA stations is there someone here that has enough pull to get it added?

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,717 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:48 PM

Posting here in your thread is fine... that will keep all the info in the same place.

Several of us have passed along info to Dish in the past that I like to think has helped.

IF they do carry your locals, then it is a glitch that probably could be fixed more easily... but if it is a case of them not carrying your locals then it could be a delay in getting the EPG info.

In many markets (mine included) I've been chasing some EPG data for months now. It doesn't seem to be a high priority to get EPG data for channels that Dish doesn't carry... but it never hurts to poke them gently with the info and ask when they can get it addressed.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   hahler2

hahler2

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:28 AM

Ok sorry it took me so long to get back. I was out of town for quite awhile. Anyway, here are the stations I receive OTA that have no info.

3-01 KDLO
3-02 UTV
7-02 This
9-01 KABY
16-01 PBS
16-02 PBS
16-03 PBS

I'm not real sure where all these towers are located, but I believe they are in the Aberdeen SD area. They all mirror the content that is shown on the Dish network locals out of Sioux Falls SD. If anyone can do anything to get me guide info on these channels I would really appreciate it!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...