Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

D* Sling???

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   thumperyz69

thumperyz69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:27 AM

OK...I closed out my D* account about a year ago just when I got my MRV up and going so I have intentionally ignored everything in this arena for a while.

My friend who has D* says it is now possible to watch what is on your DVR from a remote device phone etc... (ala Sling like functionality). I told him he was crazy that D* did not have that capability yet.

I am sure someone can settle this quickly. ( I really miss D*. I have been surviving on only OTA and clear QAM to a Media Center PC)

Thanks
T

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,910 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:56 AM

OK...I closed out my D* account about a year ago just when I got my MRV up and going so I have intentionally ignored everything in this arena for a while.

My friend who has D* says it is now possible to watch what is on your DVR from a remote device phone etc... (ala Sling like functionality). I told him he was crazy that D* did not have that capability yet.

I am sure someone can settle this quickly. ( I really miss D*. I have been surviving on only OTA and clear QAM to a Media Center PC)

Thanks
T

Your friend is mistaken;

DirecTV does not have this capability, at least as of yet. However, they are expected to soon with the upcoming release of a device called "NOMAD" sometime later this year.

Main discussion here.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=184939

#3 OFFLINE   thumperyz69

thumperyz69

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:00 AM

*thanks*

#4 OFFLINE   doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:12 AM

Why wait for DTV to have a sling-like capability when you can just get a Sling and be done with it? We took the kids on a Disney cruise, watched a bit at: the cruise, the plane, the hotels, in line at disney rides on my iPhone, iPad and laptop. If you get the Pro, you could use it with you OTA, I think, until you decide to do something else like DTV again

5 - HR22-100 4 via regular ethernet, 1 via DECA, 2 HR21-700 networked via regular ethernet, HR21-100 networked via DECA, H25-500
R15-500 Inactive, H20-600 (ECO 2.0) inactive,D11 (Humax LD2060) inactive
Slimline 5 w/ SWM8 parallel w/ SWM16 w/DECA

#5 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

Very happy with my Sling Pro. The kids like being able to watch tv via my DroidX and the sling app.

If you have good bandwidth up and down, the quality can be really good. Perfect for families who travel.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#6 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:51 AM

It drives me nuts that this constantly comes up. Sling has been around forever and has never required the provider to support it. Just buy a slingbox.

Dish only provides it because their parent company owns them so they built a box with a slingbox inside it. Big deal.

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

I have two slingboxes and am very satisfied with them; that being said I'm expecting to like NOMAD even more.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   n9yty

n9yty

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

Another alternative is the Vulkano series from Monsoon Multimedia. I get fed up with Sling and their dropping of the Mac desktop client, very expensive clients for the iOS devices, etc... Bascially, I just came to the point where I had it and unplugged my SingboxPro and plugged in a Vulkano.

I think the quality is a step up, although the lag is quite a bit higher... There is a 4 to 5 second delay, so you aren't going to want to be doing any menu navigation/etc. Thankfully it has an Electronic Program Guide in the software so you can just change the box to the right channel.

Anyway, your mileage will vary. I was very happy with Sling originally, I've just come to not like them after a series of business decisions they obviously felt compelled to make.

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,337 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:44 PM

I have two slingboxes and am very satisfied with them; that being said I'm expecting to like NOMAD even more.

I'm still expecting that they will be complimentary as opposed to overlapping.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,337 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:47 PM

I was very happy with Sling originally, I've just come to not like them after a series of business decisions they obviously felt compelled to make.

In this economy, there's a whole lot of that going around.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:07 PM

In this economy, there's a whole lot of that going around.

Actually I don't blaime their lack of customer service nor their business model decisions on the economy. there was a drastic change in company direction in terms of service, support and production once Echostar purchased Sling Media.

I for one don't like the way "Dish" has conducted business and unfortunately they have taken the same stance for the sling division since the day they aquired the company.

It's one thing to change policy based on new customers; but totally another when they exploit those who made sling what they are today by providing loyalty to the product. Things like moving phone support to 90 days on a 1 year warrantied product, charging for multiple licences on the same platform (for example the iphone/ipad app debocle), not covering for failed products due to bad firmware releases, etc have all bittered my taste for the company since the takeover.

#12 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

It drives me nuts that this constantly comes up. Sling has been around forever and has never required the provider to support it. Just buy a slingbox.

Dish only provides it because their parent company owns them so they built a box with a slingbox inside it. Big deal.

Good point. But Dish's built-in sling and sling adapter are a joy to setup and use - no cables or power supplies or IR blasters to deal with like standalone sling. iPad and iPhone apps work great. I'm really looking forward to Nomad.

spam firewall