Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ad forwarded me from forum to ad page without clicking.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,189 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:40 PM

I clicked to go into a few of the forums and a couple of times have had very odd result.

Specifically a few minutes ago when I went into "The Movies" forum. I was suddenly redirected to some website calling itself "WebFace", if memory serves - had to his the 'back' button to get back to the forum.

How do I know it was automatic? I use the "middle button" click to open each forum in a new tab. Then I go through each forum individually. I went through a couple of forums and when I finished one in particular, closing that window put me at the next tab which was "WebFace" - obviously redirected from The Movies forum.

Just thought any admins would like to know about what kind of ads are being put in.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,079 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:34 PM

Sorry to say I really would not think our site or an ad redirected you directly without a click or anything. I would lean more towards maybe something on you machine redirecting you at certain times or something. Have never in the history of running forums or ads have I see this or heard of it coming though an ad. The only ads running are Google ads, and those are filtered for safety, and two ads that I put up directly for clients.

#3 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,189 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:43 PM

Well, it happened 3 more times today. It only happens on this site. I've had nothing like this happen when on numerous site all over the net. Today I was on MSNBC, Google, Yahoo, several smaller new sites in Connecticut, Amazon, Kayak and Hotmail (just remembering off the top of my head) and ONLY had this behavior here. My virus scans show nothing. The first time it happened, I thought it was my fault for a bad click but I've had it happen once more earlier today and twice in the last 115 minutes. The only thing I could think of was something inserted into one of the ads. The ad itself is harmless - just obnoxious and a full page. But when I "middle click" on a forum, to open it in a new tab and then go to that tab and see the ad and have to hit the 'back' button to go, that tells me it wasn't a wayward click.

What was even more odd was that it all hit at the same time. First a work computer - again only dbsforums. Yesterday a laptop that I hadn't used in a long time and now a nettop that hasn't been browsing in MONTHS.

Some Googling has shown this to be an increasing problem on some sites. One example of the discussion is here:

http://www.wdwradio....ebface-ads.html

Looks like they started cropping up at the end of January. Digging through a lot of of the stuff I found through Google it would appear this is a pretty insidious script buried in AdSense.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't have minded if the solution was "you can pay for an ad-free version for $20/year" or something like that.

#4 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:47 PM

Quite frankly, I wouldn't have minded if the solution was "you can pay for an ad-free version for $20/year" or something like that.

You can pay for an ad-free version for $15/year.

http://www.dbstalk.com/payments.php

#5 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,736 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

You can pay for an ad-free version for $15/year.

http://www.dbstalk.com/payments.php

It's not ad free, just fewer ads.

#6 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,062 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:32 PM

Very few ads. If you do not like ads while on the site it is well worth it.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#7 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:34 PM

Right you are - I've never even noticed that one at the bottom until you mentioned it.

Eh, oh well. As far as the OP goes, maybe if he ponied up for the DBSTalk Club his problem will go away? At least that will eliminate one potential source of the problem.

spam firewall