Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need to move the satellite for the weekend

media

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   djhspawn

djhspawn

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:08 PM

I am going to the desert (80 miles east) for the weekend and want to take my satellite with me so I don't miss Supercross. I have a HR24 HD box and a HR21 HD/DVR.

Being that I am not going that far from my home it should be as setting up the satellite at the correct angle and connecting my HR24.... correct?

I searched the forums prior to asking so I apologize if this is a redundant question.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:08 PM

I am going to the desert (80 miles east) for the weekend and want to take my satellite with me so I don't miss Supercross. I have a HR24 HD box and a HR21 HD/DVR.

The satellite is in orbit...a parabolic dish antenna or outdoor unit (ODU) in Directv talk...is what you are moving. There are many flavors of dishes. My first suggestion would be to acquire an 18" dish and a D11 SD box. The set up is simple and the equipment is small for packing and cheap.

OR you can disconnect your existing dish by removing the cables from the LNB (at the end of the arm) and cutting all quick ties. Then, without touching any settings...unbolt the mast from your building. Load it with cable, fittings and tools for the trip.

Being that I am not going that far from my home it should be as setting up the satellite at the correct angle and connecting my HR24.... correct?

This is correct. You access system set up in menu and enter your zip code or the zip code where you are going and azimuth, elevation and tilt for all zips in CONUS (continental United States) will be there.

I searched the forums prior to asking so I apologize if this is a redundant question.

What you plan is certainly possible and not difficult. If you have never done it before you want to plan some advance time at the new temporary location for selecting a dish location, cable run and wire to the TV. Finding a local installer to do the set up would make it easier on you unless you have a little experience with sat TV installations.

Send further questions and or report success.

Joe

#3 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:24 PM

You could also pick up a used dish off Craigslist to avoid having to mess with your current setup. May be able to find one very cheap or free.

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:55 PM

I would start by carefully marking all the dish mating surfaces so you can put it back where you started from.

Then take it down and set it back up at your home (maybe a few feet away from the original location), just to get practice. Once you've got the process down, and can repeatedly set it up and get it aligned properly, you are ready to try moving it to a different location.

If you are removing the mast that the dish is mounted to, make certain wherever you put it back up that it is perfectly vertical - plumb in all directions, and stable/solid. Use the monopoles.

Also be aware that 80 miles away, your local stations may or may not be receivable. That all depends on the size of the spot beam and where your other location is in regard to it.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:37 PM

Need to move the satellite for the weekend

He he - you can't move a satellite, but satellite dish/antenna. :)

#6 OFFLINE   djhspawn

djhspawn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:09 PM

You could also pick up a used dish off Craigslist to avoid having to mess with your current setup. May be able to find one very cheap or free.

Thank you, I think this will be the direction I will go. I don't want to disturb my DVR recordings.

#7 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:12 PM

By the way, what channel is your show on? Depending on what satellite that channel is on, you may be able to get away with a cheaper/smaller/easier to point dish than your current (assumed) Slimline. That is, if the only channel you really care about for the mobile setup is that one...

#8 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:00 PM

He he - you can't move a satellite, but satellite dish/antenna. :)

"Searching for Satellite!.....Daddy, this man done put the satellite on the roof. I just seed him!"

"Shut up son....let the man work!

"Beep....Beep......Beep Beep beep Beeeep Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

"Daddy, we got satellite TV! We don't be needin to look no more!"

"Yes, young man, you are now connected to the DirecTV system. Gather your family and we will begin the instruction section of this installation. Does every one have a note book? OK then...Chapter One............. HOW IT Works. . ."

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 13 February 2011 - 08:07 PM.
typo

#9 OFFLINE   djhspawn

djhspawn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

By the way, what channel is your show on? Depending on what satellite that channel is on, you may be able to get away with a cheaper/smaller/easier to point dish than your current (assumed) Slimline. That is, if the only channel you really care about for the mobile setup is that one...

Speed channel

#10 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:15 PM

Speed channel

Speed HD is on 103W satellite (aka, D10)... You'll need a Slimline 5 or 3 or one of the old Sidecar dishes. I'm pretty sure those are the only three dishes that'll catch that satellite.

#11 OFFLINE   djhspawn

djhspawn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:34 PM

Speed HD is on 103W satellite (aka, D10)... You'll need a Slimline 5 or 3 or one of the old Sidecar dishes. I'm pretty sure those are the only three dishes that'll catch that satellite.

Would this work?

http://sandiego.crai...2210257164.html

#12 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:30 PM

Would this work?

http://sandiego.crai...2210257164.html

No! That is an older style that is being replaced. It is called a Phase III and does not "see" the HD satellites.

tcusta00 is correct.

You need what is referred to as a Ka/Ku slimline dish. I would suggest one exactly like what you have at home. Take a look at SolidSignal.com.

An afterthought = if there is a possibility of another slimline dish where you are going you just need cable to connect to that dish. OR set your equipment to record while you are gone & catch the race when you get back + Sports bar in the area?

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 13 February 2011 - 11:40 PM.
typo + afterthought

#13 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:14 AM

Just because the OP has an HD receiver doesn't mean they necessarily have to have Speed in HD. It will come in fine on that phase III from the 101, but in SD. You will have to change the receiver settings, but IMHO that's easier than learning how to set up a slimline dish.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#14 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:03 AM

Just because the OP has an HD receiver doesn't mean they necessarily have to have Speed in HD. It will come in fine on that phase III from the 101, but in SD. You will have to change the receiver settings, but IMHO that's easier than learning how to set up a slimline dish.

Matt,,

You are correct. Channel 606 is the SD SPEED Channel.....from the 101 sat...so the 18" or the Phase III will work in addition to the HD rigs.

Any way you slice it this is a big project for a single TV show.

Joe

#15 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

Just because the OP has an HD receiver doesn't mean they necessarily have to have Speed in HD.

BLASPHEMY!!!

#16 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:31 PM

Hey Joe I can see it has been awhile since you looked at the channel numbers, speed in old fashion mode is on 607 not 606.

As for the San Diego spot beam, it covers more then the 80 miles he will be going. I have watched San Diego locals in Phenix,Az

djhspawn 80 miles-thats the desert? Last I looked 80 miles puts you just east of Alpine.

#17 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:33 AM

Hey Joe I can see it has been awhile since you looked at the channel numbers, speed in old fashion mode is on 607 not 606.

As for the San Diego spot beam, it covers more then the 80 miles he will be going. I have watched San Diego locals in Phenix,Az

djhspawn 80 miles-thats the desert? Last I looked 80 miles puts you just east of Alpine.

Quite so!

It took me a moment to remember ...SPEED CHANNEL...oh yeah...clicked ch 100 & pushed the wrong button. Thanks.

Last time I was in the SW desert I had a 1965 Pontiac Convertible and a three hole brick....brick on gas...run in desert...stop when road gets wide...pee on snakes...reset brick. Spot beams were on Star Trek.

This project is possible...but it is only TV. I thought people went out in the desert to pee on snakes and shoot telegraph poles.

Joe

#18 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:34 AM

I would assume you are going to Glamis or Ocotillo Wells. You should be close enough that your spot beams would work. If you are using an HD Slimline, you should get your locals in HD. If you are using an 18" dish, you won't get locals, as I believe they are on 119. I recommend an 18" dish, cause they are easier to point. That way you spend less time pointing the dish and more time playing on your toys! Check out my post here: http://www.dbstalk.c...876#post2486876. It shows the setup I have on my toyhauler. It is easy to use and lets you spend more time with the family and less time in a foul mood about pointing the dish. Go to www.dishpointer.com before you leave and get the directions for the exact spot you will be camping. This will save you lots of time. Have fun and good luck!

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:03 AM

I would assume you are going to Glamis or Ocotillo Wells. You should be close enough that your spot beams would work. If you are using an HD Slimline, you should get your locals in HD. If you are using an 18" dish, you won't get locals, as I believe they are on 119. I recommend an 18" dish, cause they are easier to point. That way you spend less time pointing the dish and more time playing on your toys! Check out my post here: http://www.dbstalk.c...876#post2486876. It shows the setup I have on my toyhauler. It is easy to use and lets you spend more time with the family and less time in a foul mood about pointing the dish. Go to www.dishpointer.com before you leave and get the directions for the exact spot you will be camping. This will save you lots of time. Have fun and good luck!

It is not a personal believing, but well known solid knowledge - read gct's thread with current channel's map.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...