Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

FCC PowerGrab

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,417 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:03 PM

East and West feed will not work for FOX, CBS, NBC. do to sports

Fox shows up 3 MLB games a day.

NBC show 2-3 NHL games at the same time no that long ago.

FOX and CBS show like 12-16 NFL games a day with some over lap.

WGN / WCIU shows sports some times at the same time and Some sports can not air on wgn america.

WGN has long term Bulls, cubs, sox and Blackhawks deals.

CSN CHI does not have alot room to take all the WCIU games / WGN games.

May need a CSN CHI +2 HD maybe even CSN CHI +3 HD to fit the FSN stuff + Bulls, cubs, sox and Blackhawks in with CSN CHI + be coming a much more used channel. maybe forcing a CLTV / CSN + split.

WGN can start there own RSN maybe taking the CUBS, Blackhawks with the bulls , sox going to CSN. But even a set up like will need both to have over flows.

Last year in the play offs CSN +2 was needed and it's was SD only.

38% of Western Arc and 34% of Eastern Arc transponders are used for spotbeams or locals.

23% of Western Arc and 24% of Eastern Arc transponders are used for national HD feeds (132 24/7 feeds including 23 PPVs and 12 slots for RSNs).

37% of Western Arc and 20% of Eastern Arc transponders are used for SD feeds. An additional 7% of Eastern Arc transponders are used for international channels and PIs.

(At the moment there are additional Eastern Arc transponders in use for HD and SD due to the channel shuffling in progress. The percentages will drop when the shuffling completes.)

There are entire satellite locations that would not exist if it were not for carrying locals. All the HD on 129 could fit on 110 and 119 ... 77 is all locals (the Latino channels there could move to 72.7 or 61.5).

DISH could also close 10 uplink centers and the points of presence for nearly all of the 210 markets.

Between your two posts, I figure that if we got rid of locals, there'd be some way to give sports enthusiasts their regional/local sports teams. I'm sure it would have to be a mix of sponsorship and subscription, but I bet it could be done.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:34 AM

Way I figure it, if the satellite providers didn't have to use all that transponder space for locals, there'd be a lot of space there for RSN's in HD.;)

But, without TV advertising, all your local merchants would have to put up double-deck'er billboards, and block your view of the satellite arc.
Or, send out so many advertising circulars that clutter up your living room, you could never find your remote. :lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...