Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Echostar to buy Hughes Communications

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:42 AM

From http://www.reuters.c...E7DE0VC20110214

EchoStar Corp agreed to buy Hughes Communications Inc for about $1.33 billion, excluding debt, as the digital set-top box maker looks to beef up its broadband satellite services offerings.

So Charlie ends up with the company that used to own DIRECTV.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,600 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:47 AM

What goes around comes around ... although Forbes puts the price higher (Forbes includes the debt).

EchoStar (SATS) this morning said it has agreed to buy Hughes Communications (HUGH) for about $2 billion, including the assumption of debt. Satellite services provider EchoStar has been best known for its corporate ties to the satellite TV provider Dish Network (DISH), which was split off as a separate public company in late 2007. The company also owns Sling Media, maker of the Slingbox place shifting device. Hughes operates Hughes Network Systems, a provider of satellite services.

http://blogs.forbes....-for-2-billion/

#3 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,250 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:47 AM

As a younger Jake once said, "Ironic, isn't it?" :P

Edited by Nick, 14 February 2011 - 08:53 AM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:02 AM

Pondering the significance (if any)
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#5 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:05 AM

For the day to day DBS customer, probably not very much significance, other than Dish will probably at a minimum start co-selling HughesNet. Most of Hughes' business these days are to businesses and governments. I don't think Hughes has any satellites in any locations that would be much use to Dish.

#6 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:19 AM

Fine, it puts them back in the satellite market like they were when they partnered with StarBand. They can sell DBS or satellite internet or a package of both. All well and good, but there are still the latency and bandwidth issues, so it doesn't do anything for Sling or any other way of streaming or sharing video.

#7 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 894 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:28 AM

For the day to day DBS customer, probably not very much significance, other than Dish will probably at a minimum start co-selling HughesNet. Most of Hughes' business these days are to businesses and governments. I don't think Hughes has any satellites in any locations that would be much use to Dish.

A friend has HughesNet for internet in a extremely rural area of Nor-CAL... and hates it.......that said in their situation they tell me, they have little choice.
They've had equipment issues, service issues and limitation issues...never the less they have access.......maybe Dish will improve things.......more than likely for a price. :icon_bb:

:icon_band
Thank you and
Best of luck

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:28 AM

Well that's a headshaker.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:31 AM

You guys are all viewing it through the shades of how they'd work Dish into it. Remember Echostar is a separate company from Dish now. A large majority of Hughes' business has nothing to do with Hughesnet. I wouldn't be a big surprised if they spun off the HughesNet business like they spun off Dish.

#10 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:33 AM

Yeah, I kinda shaking mine too. Like I noted, Dish and StarBand had partnered previously. A couple of years back, SB was in trouble and could have been had for a small fraction of the Hughes deal price.

Hughes has a terrible reputation for customer service while I've never had trouble with SB.

#11 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 890 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

Sounds to me this fits more with their purchase a few years back of Slingbox, looking to get totally into the set top business.

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,600 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:06 AM

You guys are all viewing it through the shades of how they'd work Dish into it. Remember Echostar is a separate company from Dish now. A large majority of Hughes' business has nothing to do with Hughesnet.

Agreed ... for those who like to read quarterly reports, here's the latest (pdf) from Hughes website.
Excerpts-

Consolidated revenues of $266 million for a 6% growth over the third quarter of 2009; growth of 10% if revenues from the discontinued contract with Telematics are excluded.

New orders of $549 million for a growth of 164% over the third quarter of 2009, with major orders from Barrett Xplore, Rite Aid, Social Security Administration, Dillards, TJ Maxx, Buckeye Pipeline, GETN, and ConocoPhillips in our North America Broadband business; JSC Iskra, GTECH Colombia, Camelot, PrimeNet, VIVO, SEDUC, SREI and Allahabad Bank in our International Broadband business; and Glocom and Harris in our Mobile Satellite business.

Consumer business continues impressive growth trajectory:
– Total revenue increased by 14% and services revenue by 19% over the third quarter of 2009.
– Strong third quarter subscriber gross adds of 49,000 and net adds of 13,000.
– Consumer ARPU increased to $75 from $71 in the third quarter of 2009.
– Churn improved to 2.2% from 2.3% in the third quarter of 2009.

About Hughes Communications, Inc.
Hughes Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: HUGH) is the 100 percent owner of Hughes Network Systems, LLC. Hughes is the global leader in providing broadband satellite networks and services for enterprises, governments, small businesses, and consumers. HughesNet® encompasses all broadband solutions and managed services from Hughes, bridging the best of satellite and terrestrial technologies. Its broadband satellite products are based on global standards approved by the TIA, ETSI, and ITU standards organizations, including IPoS/DVB-S2, RSM-A, and GMR-1. To date, Hughes has shipped more than 2.2 million systems to customers in over 100 countries.

Hughes is more that just the HughesNet consumer service. http://consumer.hughesnet.com/

Echostar offers business television services ... why not offer business data services as well?

Hughes has a terrible reputation for customer service while I've never had trouble with SB.

Referring to the home consumer service?

#13 OFFLINE   ghontz1

ghontz1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:31 AM

I have Hughes net service only because nothing else is available to me because I live out of town.Dial up around here is a big joke no fiber optic lines lucky to get 28 kps. Hughes net customer service is a joke the equipment is junk. Broke down on me 3 times last summer and all 3 times I had to pay for service calls. They have a FAP that makes it impossible to have netflix or any kind of movie download service.Latency is so bad no online games or voip service is possible. as soon as I have other options I will drop this crappy service in a heart beat.That is why I have not order new 9000 because I do not want to be stuck in 2yr. contract and pay early termination fees for when I do dump this service.

#14 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,104 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

Yeah, I kinda shaking mine too. Like I noted, Dish and StarBand had partnered previously. A couple of years back, SB was in trouble and could have been had for a small fraction of the Hughes deal price.

Didn't Dish buy Starband around 2002 or thereabouts?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:41 PM

Well, at this point I'm about as confused about the 2008 spinoff of Dish Network as I was when it was proposed.

Earlier this month we had the Press Release - DISH To Purchase DBSD, Developer of U.S. HYBRID Communications System thread and Dish Network is trying to buy Terrestar.

As we all know, Echostar bought Sling Media which now has a marketing focus on Dish.

And it isn't like they both aren't in the satellite business. From the last Dish Network quarterly:

We currently utilize 13 satellites in geostationary orbit approximately 22,300 miles above the equator, six of which we own. We currently lease capacity on five satellites from EchoStar with terms ranging from two to ten years. We account for these as operating leases. See Note 11 for further discussion of our satellite leases with EchoStar. We also lease two satellites from third parties, which are accounted for as capital leases and are depreciated over the shorter of the economic life or the term of the satellite agreement.

From the last Echostar quarterly:

“Satellite Services” Business – which uses our ten owned and leased in-orbit satellites and related FCC licenses to lease capacity on a full time and occasional-use basis to enterprise, broadcast news and government organizations. We currently lease capacity primarily to DISH Network, and secondarily to Dish Mexico, government entities, Internet service providers, broadcast news organizations and private enterprise customers. We also deliver our ViP-TV transport service, offering MPEG-4 encoded Internet Protocol, or IP, streams of video and audio channels to telecommunication companies and small cable operators.

Now Echostar is buying a company that has a retail satellite-oriented internet service business along with satellite operations and business services .

I just don't see the point of keeping these two operations separate under essentially the same ownership. Logic says that there should be a single company with a satellite operations division/subsidiary, a business/multifamily satellite and internet services division/subsidiary, and a retail TV and internet services division/subsidiary.

What don't I understand?:confused:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,600 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:43 PM

Didn't Dish buy Starband around 2002 or thereabouts?

"StarBand is a two-way satellite broadband Internet service available in the U.S.. StarBand Communications Inc. was initially a joint venture between Gilat Satellite Networks, EchoStar and Microsoft, and the StarBand service was launched in 2000. StarBand Communications filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2002 and emerged from bankruptcy in 2003. In March 2005, StarBand Communications was acquired by Spacenet, a division of Gilat Satellite Networks, which continues to operate the service. As of mid-2005, StarBand had approximately 32,000 subscribers."
Wikipedia

http://www.spacenet....vices/starband/
"StarBand, a service provided by Spacenet Inc., is a value oriented two-way high-speed satellite Internet access service available for small office/home office (SOHO) and small business customers throughout the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and several Caribbean and Central American countries. The latest line of StarBand services – Nova 1000 and 1500 – offer reliable broadband satellite Internet with faster speeds than previous generations, PC professional support services and value-added features."

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,600 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:54 PM

I just don't see the point of keeping these two operations separate under essentially the same ownership. Logic says that there should be a single company with a satellite operations division/subsidiary, a business/multifamily satellite and internet services division/subsidiary, and a retail TV and internet services division/subsidiary.

What don't I understand?:confused:

The focus of the separate businesses.

DISH Network is a consumer satellite company providing service to individual home and business customers and, like DirecTV, they own satellites. DISH leases some satellite and backhaul capacity from EchoStar.

EchoStar is a technology company providing satellite transmission, fiberoptic backhauls and points of presence plus receiver development and other products. Their primary customer is DISH Network but they also have other direct customers. Hughes is being purchased by EchoStar.

Keeping the businesses separate allows each business to concentrate on their own mission. Just because a man owns two businesses doesn't mean they have to be merged together.

#18 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

The focus of the separate businesses.

DISH Network is a consumer satellite company providing service to individual home and business customers and, like DirecTV, they own satellites. DISH leases some satellite and backhaul capacity from EchoStar.

EchoStar is a technology company providing satellite transmission, fiberoptic backhauls and points of presence plus receiver development and other products. Their primary customer is DISH Network but they also have other direct customers. Hughes is being purchased by EchoStar.

Keeping the businesses separate allows each business to concentrate on their own mission. Just because a man owns two businesses doesn't mean they have to be merged together.

Sure. But if a man owns one business with highly interrelated activities it doesn't mean he has to split it into two businesses with activities highly interrelated between the two businesses.;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,600 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:05 PM

Sure. But if a man owns one business with highly interrelated activities it doesn't mean he has to split it into two businesses with activities highly interrelated between the two businesses.;)

But he can ... and he did. He didn't get to be a multi-billionaire by making bad decisions.:)

#20 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,919 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:06 PM

But he can ... and he did. He didn't get to be a multi-billionaire by making bad decisions.:)

Counting cards wasn't a good decision. :lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

spam firewall