Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Netrworking reciever to access 6000 streaming movie archive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   News Junky

News Junky

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:13 PM

I saw a TV commercial saying D* customers have access to 6000 steaming movies at no extra charge. I'm a D* customer, started investigating and discovered this was in reference to the Cinema Plus feature. However in order to access it your receiver must be connected to the Internet. I called 800 DIR-ECTV and was told all I had to do was plug in a cat-5 Ethernet cable into the back of my receiver box and I'm good to go. This is very impracticable for me so I asked could it be done over my home wireless wifi. They said yes but I would have to order an $80 kit from them. I then asked would a regular wifi dongle from any electronic store work. She said, hold on let me check and came back and said yes. After thinking about it more, I know just enough about computers to be dangerous a started doubting since every wifi dongle I've ever bought needed to have a driver installed before it worked. With a D* receiver unless I'm missing something I can't see how installing a driver is even possible. Will a regular Linksys or Netgear wifi dongle work on a D* receiver?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

No, a USB adapter will not work.

You need a wireless adapter like the WET610N or WGA600N. They are both supported and can be configured through your receiver. I've used an Airport Express in the past and it worked fine too. You just have to set it up separately.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:11 PM

The wireless adapters can be had for less than $80 if you look hard enough.

#4 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:29 PM

I saw a TV commercial saying D* customers have access to 6000 steaming movies at no extra charge. I'm a D* customer, started investigating and discovered this was in reference to the Cinema Plus feature. However in order to access it your receiver must be connected to the Internet. I called 800 DIR-ECTV and was told all I had to do was plug in a cat-5 Ethernet cable into the back of my receiver box and I'm good to go. This is very impracticable for me so I asked could it be done over my home wireless wifi. They said yes but I would have to order an $80 kit from them. I then asked would a regular wifi dongle from any electronic store work. She said, hold on let me check and came back and said yes. After thinking about it more, I know just enough about computers to be dangerous a started doubting since every wifi dongle I've ever bought needed to have a driver installed before it worked. With a D* receiver unless I'm missing something I can't see how installing a driver is even possible. Will a regular Linksys or Netgear wifi dongle work on a D* receiver?

Short answer: No. You will need something like a wireless 'gaming' adapter. The model that DirecTV sells is a Linksys WET610N I believe..
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#5 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:19 PM

What kind of receiver do you have? If it's an HR24, you may be able to just get the internet connection kit from Ebay .. Most are going for around $15. It really depends on your setup as to if (1) it's possible and (2) what the final cost would be.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   News Junky

News Junky

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:23 AM

What kind of receiver do you have? If it's an HR24, you may be able to just get the internet connection kit from Ebay .. Most are going for around $15. It really depends on your setup as to if (1) it's possible and (2) what the final cost would be.

Thanks for all the good replies. I'm not home at the moment so I'm not sure but we have 5 rooms, 2 of which have dual input DVR receivers. There's a blue circle on the front panel that spins around when I turn it on. It look like this but I'm not sure if multiple models look similar. Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   News Junky

News Junky

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:32 PM

Update: I was an electronic retail store the other day and started up a conversation with the attendant on this issue. He said they also sell the Linksys WET610N roughly priced at what D* sells it for but recommended something else as being a better solution. He said Ethernet was the best, a high end wifi like Linksys WET610N was good but almost as good as Ethernet was something called Powerline. The short version is it piggy backs your home's electrical wiring and uses adapters you plug in at electrical outlets that have Ethernet ports on them. According the the attendant its faster than Linksys WET610N and although slightly more expensive, if you have an entertainment system with multiple Internet access needs one can feed four devices, such as a Blueray player, D* receiver box, etc. instead of having to buy several separate Linksys WET610N's that aren't even as fast. Any opinions?

Edited by News Junky, 25 February 2011 - 04:46 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:02 PM

Update: I was an electronic retail store the other day and started up a conversation with the attendant on this issue. He said they also sell the Linksys WET610N roughly priced at what D* sells it for but recommended something else as being a better solution. He said Ethernet was the best, a high end wifi like Linksys WET610N was good but almost as good as Ethernet was something called Powerline. The short version is it piggy backs your home's electrical wiring and uses adapters you plug in at electrical outlets that have Ethernet ports on them. According the the attendant its faster than Linksys WET610N and although slightly more expensive, if you have an entertainment system with multiple Internet access needs one can feed four devices, such as a Blueray player, D* receiver box, etc. instead of having to buy several separate Linksys WET610N's that aren't even as fast. Any opinions?

Powerline adapters "can" be a good solution. However, much depends on your home wiring and what circuits they are plugged into. If you are going to try it, make sure the store has a good return policy in case it doesn't work in your house.
DogLover

My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,778 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:30 PM

Powerline adapters "can" be a good solution. However, much depends on your home wiring and what circuits they are plugged into. If you are going to try it, make sure the store has a good return policy in case it doesn't work in your house.

Needed repeating, as the attendant doesn't have a clue. :nono:
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:55 PM

Linksys WET610N in conjunction with a Linksys N router will smoke powerline adapters if the wireless signal is okay (which is much more likely in my experience than powerline working well).

And if you want to connect multiple devices to it, a cheap (~$15) switch would work just fine.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...