Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Time Warner buys LA Lakers RSN rights, must provide to DBSs

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 390 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:44 PM

In a major regional sports network coup, Time Warner Cable and the Los Angeles Lakers have reached a 20-year deal that will include distribution of the reigning two-time National Basketball Association champion's live games via two new new HD regional sports networks, including the nation's first Spanish-language RSN.

The Lakers will move their local games from News Corp-owned regional sports service Fox Sports West, as well as KCAL to the new networks, tipping off with the 2012-2013 season, according to Time Warner officials. The as-yet-named networks will be available to all satellite, cable and telco distributors, including all of Southern California, Nevada and Hawaii.

http://www.multichan...ork_Rights_.php

Edited by mws192, 15 February 2011 - 09:26 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

how many systems will have Spanish-language RSN?

will the Spanish one be in the Spanish pack?

Will it ever show up on NBA LP?

will there other MSO's local sports network roster ever show on satellite systems?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#3 OFFLINE   pbg

pbg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:33 PM

How do you get, 'they must provide' to DBS's from that ? It says they'll be available to satellite - Comcast Sports NW is 'available', but no one picks it up because its to expensive. With that, LA is obliviously a huge market and in DirecTV's backyard, so I'm sure they'll do what they can to be able to provide it
TOTAL CHOICE Plus - HR22-100 , HR23-700
Sunday Ticket - Super Fan | MLB Extra Innings | NHL Center Ice | NBA League Pass

#4 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:37 PM

It might work out for us in San Diego. We get the Lakers on Fox Sports West/PT, but when they are on KCAL 9, we don't get that station so we were out of luck. Hopefully we get the the Time Warner Sports on Directv.
It's only tv!

#5 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:45 PM

I just replied on the other thread concerning this, MOST likely this will be the rsn the Padres move to after this year. This is the LAST YEAR of the 20 year exclusive Cox Cable contract and it's been highly expected the Padres will move to a rsn. The Padres told me via email once when this happens their telecasts will be avail on "multiple platforms" instead of just being on Cox cable in SD. That will be the day!!!!!!! Cant wait for it!!!!!

#6 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:00 PM

So, it would appear we here in SoCal get another channel. Most likely it will be in HD, and DirecTV cannot afford to distribute it in SD only..... as the fanbase in the Southern California are is HUGE.

I never watch it myself, but have many, many laker fans among my friends.

The only thing I hope for, is that this yet-to-be-named network, will also broadcast some other good sports.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#7 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:02 PM

How do you get, 'they must provide' to DBS's from that ? It says they'll be available to satellite - Comcast Sports NW is 'available', but no one picks it up because its to expensive. With that, LA is obliviously a huge market and in DirecTV's backyard, so I'm sure they'll do what they can to be able to provide it

Agreed. The Lakers are easily the 2nd most important sports team in the L.A. area, with MLB's Dodgers being first, and MLB's Angels being third. The Lakers franchise is HUGE, and DirecTV will most certainly lose customers if they are not able to provide the Laker games in HD.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#8 OFFLINE   MikeP

MikeP

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:03 PM

According to Orange County Register's Kevin Ding, the Lakers will be available on DIRECTV. He's a Laker beat writer:
http://lakers.ocregi...er-cable/49002/

#9 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:01 PM

will TW be getting any other la teams kings, ducks, dodgers, angels?

#10 OFFLINE   TonySCV

TonySCV

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:09 PM

will TW be getting any other la teams kings, ducks, dodgers, angels?

I would think Fox Sports Net West/PrimeTicket will certainly do everything in their power to stop the bleeding. Losing the Lakers is a huge loss, but they still have Dodgers, Angels, Clippers, Kings and Ducks broadcasts.

Does TimeWarner have any regional sports networks at all presently? This is the first is it not?

EDIT: No, it's not. Didn't read the article far enough at first. :) "All told, Time Warner Cable manages 34 local channels, nine of which are local sports nets, with another seven featuring sports content. The networks largely sport minor league and collegiate fare.

The MSO's local sports network roster: TWC Sports Central NY 1 & 2; TWC Sports 3 Albany; TWC SportsNet Rochester; TWC SportsNet Buffalo; TWC Sports 32 Wisconsin; Metro Sports 1 & 2 Kansas City; and Metro Sports Nebraska. Local sports are also carried on Texas Channel, TWC SoCal 101, TWC TV New England, NEON (Northeast Ohio Network) and OC16 (Oceanic TWC in Hawaii).

The nation's No. 2 cable operator also has an equity position in SportsNet NY, the cable home of the New York Mets, and has an ad sales partnership with SportsTime Ohio."

#11 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:13 PM

TW has a network in new york, other day NHL network aired a college hockey game and it was on TW sports network. but the LA network would be their first true big one.

im shocked CSN hasn't yet started CSN los angeles

congrats on the 1-0 win in philly i cant believe you won. last time kings on in philly reagen or bush was president

#12 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:26 PM

Comcast doesn't have a cable presence in Los Angeles. They only have RSNs in regions they serve.

#13 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:28 PM

well thats good, i wonder how long before they try to move in.

LA seems to be the last major city they dont have it in.

Philly, chicago, boston, miami, denver, they got some parcel in NY

#14 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:16 AM

Comcast sold the remaining part of their cable network to Time Warner when they were dividing up Adelphia. Maybe they were thinking about it at some point, but when Adelphia went bust back in 2006, opportunites arose to concentrate on certain markets, and TWC got pretty much the whole L.A. area market, with a small area of Cox in South OC, and a few scattered Charter areas.

80% of SoCal has TWC as their cable company, and equally about 80% of the San Diego area.

Starting a network would make sense. After all, they don't have to charge fees to themselves. Its a guaranteed money maker if you can get a team on board.

I am the Stig.

#15 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:18 AM

well thats good, i wonder how long before they try to move in.

LA seems to be the last major city they dont have it in.

Philly, chicago, boston, miami, denver, they got some parcel in NY

They used to have a part of Los Angeles. When the remaining Adelphia networks were divided between TWC and Comcast, Comcast pulled out of Los Angeles to give TWC that market, and in return TWC pulled out of other markets in favor of Comcast.

I am the Stig.

#16 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 963 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:35 AM

That was a dumb move by comcast!! ,seeing as to how popular the lakers are in so cal.,and i see where time warner may also add the L.A. dodgers to the new RSN also.

#17 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:48 AM

where did you see the info on the Dodgers?

#18 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:52 AM

yeah, im just wondering what is up comcast sleave, they now own nbc universal and they will be gaining money and i wonder what area they have targeted next.

#19 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:25 AM

yeah, im just wondering what is up comcast sleave, they now own nbc universal and they will be gaining money and i wonder what area they have targeted next.

nbc universal is now nbcuniversal. (no space) lol.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#20 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts